Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism in the UK

edited March 2006 in Buddhism Today
I'm not a practising buddhist... yet.

I'm definitely interested though and currently wading my way through inumerous tomes and websites (not to mention the huge amount of information on these boards!:eek2: ) in an effort to educate myself and decide what's right for me.

My local buddhist centre is an FWBO (Friends of the Western Buddhist Order) centre and I just came across an article about FWBO, SGI-UK and the UK New Kadampa Tradition that might be of interest to others so I thought I'd post a link :)

Hope it's useful to someone.....

Sas :D

Comments

• edited March 2006
    *ahem* :doh: :scratch: :rolleyes:

The link!

Sas *edging away hoping no-one noticed!*
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2006
    MrsKarmadillo,

Do you meditate at all?

-bf
  • edited March 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    MrsKarmadillo,

Do you meditate at all?

-bf

Well... no... I haven't ... yet.

I don't know why really. I'm thinking TOO much, I know :)

I definitely need to!

Sas
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    MrsK...take it from one who has just begun to incorporate it into her daily routine - it's brilliant!
    I have kind of played at it, and tried it now and then tentatively... but after discussing it with a fellow forum member, I decided - 'Do or 'do not' - there is no 'Try'.
    I recommend it. :)
  • edited March 2006
    Apparantly, Yoda was based on Maezumi Roshi of the Zen Center of Los Angeles. It doesn't surprise me, when I heard Maezumi Roshi I didn't understand what he said sometimes until years later.

"When 900 years you reach, look as good, you will not."

-- Yoda
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    He was... the resemblance is uncanny.....!! :)
  • edited March 2006
    Yep - short, hairy ears, carried a stick, bald guy.
  • edited March 2006
    On a somewhat more serious note though, Mrs Karmadillo, I would take your time before starting meditation and consider it carefully before you do, not that I don't think you already have. Once you start, there's no turning back, even if you never sit again.
    edited March 2006
    Jeeez, ZM

You're making it sound like using one's virginity.

If you do decide to start, MrsK, I can almost promise you it will not cause any unexpected pregnancies...

-bf
  • edited March 2006
    Well, now you mention it...
    edited March 2006
    I'm sorry...

What the hell does "using one's virginity" mean?

What knitwit wrote that?!!??!!?

Shouldn't it have been, "losing one's virginity"?

Yes... I believe so.

Cane the idiot that screwed that post up.

-bf
  • edited March 2006
    Not this Knitwit! (swishing the cane) come over here, boy!
  • edited March 2006
    *sigh* my puter's broken and I haven't been online for eons... ok, ok it's only been a couple of days

I'm on hubby's laptop and blame that entirely for any typos, grammatical errors or downright stupidity ;)

Although i'd never stoop so far as "using one's virginity" even if tying (hmmm isn't there a p in there somewhere?!) with mmy nose :D

Seriously though, yes I am very inspired to wade in and start meditating, but I want to make sure my mind is ready and that I don't just TRY it when I should be DOing it.... there's that litte, pointy eared bloke again :)

Sas
    PS Does Knitwitch get blamed for everything around here? ;):D
  • edited March 2006
    If you're trying it, you're doing it. Don't worry. I'd recommend this site for a clear description of sitting and some helpful pictures - I like pictures. And there's a good animation of proper breathing too. :buck:

Zen Meditation - The Seat of Enlightenment
  • edited March 2006
    If you're trying it, you're doing it. Don't worry. I'd recommend this site for a clear description of sitting and some helpful pictures - I like pictures. And there's a good animation of proper breathing too. :buck:

Zen Meditation - The Seat of Enlightenment

Thanks a lot genryu, that's a great lnk, very clear

I'll give it a try tomorrow - too sleepy now :)

Sas
    edited March 2006
    Knitwitch wrote:
    Not this Knitwit! (swishing the cane) come over here, boy!

Thank you, Ma'am!
    May I have another?

-bf
  • edited March 2006
    Hi Mrs Karmadillo

I could not help but notice that on your link there was plenty of info on the Dark side of the force. There was one sentance that realLy disturbed me "Geshe Kelsang (NKT) is regarded by his followers as the Third Buddha ".
    The NKT is cult and as really little to do with Buddhism. I advise you to go and visit their local statue factory and halls of residence. You will find people who have had their minds twisted and who are being exploited by their own movement.

Please be very careful.

Best, HH
  • edited March 2006
    Ive got a FWBO about 30 miles away from me, I must visit it one day. Ive been to the temple in Milton Keynes at Willen Lake where the peace Pagoda is. Very friendly welcoming people that where there, im a shy person by nature and they made me feel very comfortable.
  • edited March 2006
    Hi Mrs Karmadillo

I could not help but notice that on your link there was plenty of info on the Dark side of the force. There was one sentance that realLy disturbed me "Geshe Kelsang (NKT) is regarded by his followers as the Third Buddha ".
    The NKT is cult and as really little to do with Buddhism. I advise you to go and visit their local statue factory and halls of residence. You will find people who have had their minds twisted and who are being exploited by their own movement.

Please be very careful.

Best, HH

Thanks for your concern HH. :D :thumbsup:

That's the reason I posted the link to the article - it's pretty negative about all 3: NKT, FWBO & SGI-UK and their influence on the British view of buddhism - I thought it might be helpful to instill caution in other noobs like me :D

Sas
  • edited March 2006
    I'd add a word of caution though. I experienced the FWBO back in the early eighties and found that on the whole they provide a pretty good introduction to the core of practice. It seems that the problems arise when one is involved in any sort of deeper level, and comes across teachings which are specific to the FWBO and are presented as Buddhist but aren't - such as the inferiority of the family, the importance of gender segregation and of course Sangharakshita's attitude towards women in general, as well as his selective memory with regards to his own history. If one's just attending meditation classes - I think they provide a pretty good standard of teaching. Beyond that though - caveat emptor.
  • edited March 2006
    I read both the original link and ZM’s comments on the FWBO with interest. There is a FWBO centre near my work and when I decided to explore Buddhism I started there. I would agree with ZM, they provide a good introduction (though I’m probably not qualified to make the judgement myself!). When I’m able I continue to join the lunchtime Meditation sessions.

But still, the article in the link and ZM’s comments struck a chord with me. I’m certainly not qualified to talk much about “a deeper level” but I can say that I think I’ve learned more on this forum (thank you all) and from reading. The FWBO does give the impression that it is Buddhism in the UK, that its approach has created a unique synthesis making everyone else redundant. Though I suppose I wouldn’t expect a supermarket to keep reminding me of the existence of its competitors. But when I started to read this forum, and look elsewhere, I was actually stunned to learn of the range of Buddhist practice to be found in the “West” generally, and even in the UK. And yes, I do find that the prevailing ethos at the FWBO is, in a very gentle, nice way, not very accommodating of family commitments. Which I have, and which may be attachments, but which I’m not about to ignore because I’m trying to follow the dharma – besides which, wouldn’t wanting to be free of them to concentrate on my “spiritual” “growth” also be an attachment?

But the problem for me in Norfolk (for those who don’t know it, Norfolk folk are proud to say we are “On the road to nowhere”) is where does one find other groups / teachers? The all knowing Google hasn’t turned up a lot for once.

Martin.
  • edited March 2006
    It might be worth contacting Throssel Hole Martin, and asking them if they have a sitting group in the area. Family by the way are not an attachment in any negative sense unless they totally define you as a person and are no impediment to practice. In fact, it's stronger to practice in a relationship with others than to leave the world as it were.
  • edited March 2006
    There's a Throssel Affiliated group in Norwich, the contact details can be found here : Meditation Groups
    Click on the "local groups" link.

Give them a try, I attend the Brighton group.

Cheers,
    Adrian
  • edited March 2006
    Thanks for the link Frizzer, I didnt realise they had local groups. Found one in Milton Keynes which is 20-25 miles away from me. I might have to pop along one day/evening when im not working and see how it is.
  • edited March 2006
    Hi all,

Just spotted this link regarding UK Zen groups IZAUK

I notice there is one in Norwich.

Maybe ZM or anyone else can tell us if they know of this organisation?

Sas
  • edited March 2006
    MrsKarmadillo - you seem to have a knack for spotting problematic groups. :buck: The IZA were founded by Deshimaru Roshi, though there's disagreement as to whether in fact he was a Roshi at all. His teacher was Kodo Sawaki Roshi - a very highly regarded Zen teacher who died leaving several acknowledged successors - Deshimaru not being one of them. Deshimaru claimed to have 'bought Zen to Europe' - which is not really the case, and died some years back. At that point some of his students took over the IZA, without I believe anyone being transmitted to as his successor - seems to be a repeating pattern here. That, in Zen is problematic on it's own.

Since then I think that Soto Shu (Soto School) in Japan have stepped in and tried to legitimize the group but there were concerns as to their general direction, their extreme emphasis on posture - I mean to the extent of putting a ruler against peoples backs to make sure they were rigidly straight - which is really the antithises of good posture in Zen - and other concerns centered around their finances and/or the way they were raising funds. In other words, personally I wouldn't touch 'em.
  • edited March 2006
    MrsKarmadillo - you seem to have a knack for spotting problematic groups. :buck:

Trust me to weed em out :buck:

Well, now we know, thanks ZM :D

Sas
  • edited March 2006
    "presented as Buddhist but aren't - such as the inferiority of the family, the importance of gender segregation and of course Sangharakshita's attitude towards women in generaL"

Mmm why am I thinking cult. This is just the wacko bullshit I kick against. I don't think I could be a good buddhist because I can help but want to fire bomb the HQ.

I want you to appreciate I am being mindful and measured in my response.

Now back to the revolution of ones mind.

HH
  • edited March 2006
    Zenmonk Genryu, Adrian, Mrs Karmadillo

Thank you all. I shall contact the Norwich Soto Zen (Throssle Hole affiliated) group.

Martin.
  • edited March 2006
    "presented as Buddhist but aren't - such as the inferiority of the family, the importance of gender segregation and of course Sangharakshita's attitude towards women in generaL"

Mmm why am I thinking cult. This is just the wacko bullshit I kick against. I don't think I could be a good buddhist because I can help but want to fire bomb the HQ.

I want you to appreciate I am being mindful and measured in my response.

Now back to the revolution of ones mind.

HH

Being a 'good' Buddhist doesn't mean that a person doesn't feel angry at abuses and corruption. What it does mean is that they are mindful of being angry but are not driven by that anger. Anger, if allowed to transmute becomes what's called in Zen - Great Angry Determination - and that drives practice and realization. There's no realization without it.
    edited March 2006
    So... would you say that:

Feeling anger is okay. See it for what it is and let it run it's course in your mind.

or

Feeling anger is okay - but let it pass.

or

Feeling anger is okay and "the anger" will run it's course - but!, acting upon anger is wrong.

-bf
  • edited March 2006
    OK.. I'll go easy on the Urban Terrorist thing for a while.

HH
  • edited March 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    So... would you say that:

Feeling anger is okay. See it for what it is and let it run it's course in your mind.

or

Feeling anger is okay - but let it pass.

or

Feeling anger is okay and "the anger" will run it's course - but!, acting upon anger is wrong.

-bf

I'd say that feeling anger is okay - adding anything extra to that is just that - something extra. Experience it (if you can) in your body before it overwhelms you. Practice is not about becoming a person who's never angry, or someone who's unemotional, but a person who's not completely surprised by any emotion, and not driven by emotion at the expense of reason and intuition. So - not clinging, not denying, not repressing, not trying to use any technique to get rid of the anger. And sometimes, anger is the appropriate response - but it's also one of the hardest emotions to work with, as you know, precisely because it's so all consuming. I think working with anger alone gives us a lifelong practice, at least it does for me.
    edited March 2006
    Buddhism isn't about repression, it's about accepting things as they are...If i'm repeating someone's Wisdom, I apologise...I read so much on this forum that is worthy of note....I do not mean to plagiarise....
    There's nothing wrong with being angry, but it just needs to be recognised, accepted, acknowleged and allowed to rise, like a wave, and then die down, like a wave....

two things I know...
    Anger is like the hot coal we pick up to hurl at the cause or seat of our anger... But it always burns us first....It damages and pains us before we can express it....

And I, personally sincerely give myself a limit, (ever, constantly and over time, gradually decreasing) for the duration of my Anger. I accommodate it, recognise it, give it house-room - but then it's out of here. Enough.
    My Life is too precious to spend mad....

"Every Minute you spend angry is 60 seconds in which you could have been having a great time...!"

and

"It's not a good idea to lose your temper frequently....But it's fine to mislay it once in a while - !!"
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I don't know if I'm in full agreement about anger. What about developing the skills to avoid anger from arising in the first place? I know there will be situations in which anger simply can't be avoided but I can't think of a situation in which a calm, cool head would not be better than a hot, angry one. Having skills that cut anger off before it has a chance to arise is not the same as repressing it because nothing has arisen that needs repressing.

To illustrate what I'm saying I'll use a common source of everyday anger; frustration. Sometimes I get very frustrated with my computer to the point of great anger. Once the big anger has arisen I get confused and even more angry just for being angry and losing control and then I feel guilty for being angry which makes me angrier and it just feeds off itself. Like violence breeding violence.

But when it comes to the computer I found my antidote, which is gratitude. As soon as I switch from frustration at my computer to the realization that I'm being a spoiled rotten, rich little brat for getting mad at something that I should be extremely grateful for, I feel foolish and I start laughing at myself. The first time I realized how spoilled I was behaving for getting so angry over my computer and started laughing at myself, the anger vanished like a puff of smoke and was replaced with great relief. It took practice but now whenever something goes wrong with the computer I immediately start laughing at my foolish spoilt self and anger doesn't arise. And this works with every modern convenience we are so fortunate to enjoy. Or relationships we're so fortunate to have. Gratitude is a great antidote for anger. Now I just have to practice it with people, especially my folks 'cuz they can turn me into a screaming banshee in a matter of seconds!! LOL! (Well, not screaming but angry, very, very angry.)

Brigid
    edited March 2006
    Yes...

Ultimately, everything is laid aside as temporary and illusory... But you have to "get it"....
    It's a matter of 'Work-in-progress'....

Your words are extremely meaningful Brigid, but even you admit, that for all their Wisdom and Clarity, Common-Sense and Logic, you too haven't quite 'got it'... you too, are still 'work-in-progress'... so we just meet all these impostors, treat them just the same, and work through it....

It is difficult to lay it all aside. Yet it is so Simple.
  • edited March 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    I don't know if I'm in full agreement about anger. What about developing the skills to avoid anger from arising in the first place? I know there will be situations in which anger simply can't be avoided but I can't think of a situation in which a calm, cool head would not be better than a hot, angry one. Having skills that cut anger off before it has a chance to arise is not the same as repressing it because nothing has arisen that needs repressing.

Brigid

Anger is neither bad nor good. Cutting it off, repressing it, trying to avoid or dissapate it - all of these somehow miss the point. If we don't see it because it never arises (or we think it doesn't arise), we don't have a chance to see it for what it is, which is energy. So my question would be, why avoid something that's a perfectly natural human emotion?
    edited March 2006
    Bien dit, mon ami....

I find it quite frequent that some Buddhists seem to believe that in order to achieve Enlightenment, we have to shed every vestige of what it means to be a Human being... we have to become completely transformed and know only the 'Positive' Emotions (Compassion, Kindness, Love, Politeness...) But that all the 'Negative' Traits must be eliminated and anihilated.... And if I have given that impression in my post (I can see I might have done) that's not what I meant.
    THis is why I made a loose reference to Kipling's Poem, "If"...

"If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two Impostors just the same....."

In other words, for me, "Good" and "Bad" are as existent as each other... as relevant and as inconsequential, as dependent on us for their existence, as dependent on us for their importance..... They just are. We may indulge in them, but they come and go... and so what.....?
    I cannot believe for one moment that the Buddha spent his entire Enlightened Life devoid of Humour..... He surely manifested all and any emotions he had always experienced. He just attached no importance or relevance to them.

I guess....
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Anger is neither bad nor good. Cutting it off, repressing it, trying to avoid or dissapate it - all of these somehow miss the point. If we don't see it because it never arises (or we think it doesn't arise), we don't have a chance to see it for what it is, which is energy. So my question would be, why avoid something that's a perfectly natural human emotion?

In the ultimate sense, no, anger is neither bad nor good. But it's expression leads to negative results. I don't see a possibility in Samsara of never seeing anger. Children have temper tantrums even before they can walk and talk. It is a perfectly natural human emotion but I don't see the benefit of seeing it for what it is, energy, more than once when life is so short and anger has such negative consequences. Other than the chance to see it for what it is, what other positive things can we do with anger on a purely practical level? If we listed all the pros of anger and all the cons I think the cons would far outweigh the pros. In every rebirth we will be confronted with our own anger and have the chance to look at it dispassionately as it really is. But then what? Isn't life too short to be spending time on anger?

I get the feeling that you may not believe that it's possible to stop anger from arising in the first place. Is that a fair assessment?

Brigid
    edited March 2006
    It's not a question of what is, or how is...
    it's a question of what you do with it.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    federica wrote:

In other words, for me, "Good" and "Bad" are as existent as each other... as relevant and as inconsequential, as dependent on us for their existence, as dependent on us for their importance..... They just are. We may indulge in them, but they come and go... and so what.....?
    I cannot believe for one moment that the Buddha spent his entire Enlightened Life devoid of Humour..... He surely manifested all and any emotions he had always experienced. He just attached no importance or relevance to them.

I guess....

I think you're missing my point. I'm talking about anger as an afflictive emotion that causes trouble. I'm talking on a practical level rather than about the values we place on "Good" and "Bad". And I don't know how we got to the Buddha being humourless. LOL!

But I'm sure I'm not making myself clear enough so I'll fall back on the words of HH the Dalai Lama because he expresses it better than I ever could.

In his introduction to "How to Practice: The Way to a Meaningful Life", he writes:

"When I was only fifteen, the Chinese Communists invaded eastern Tibet, and within a year the Tibetan government had decided that I should direct Tibet's affairs of state."

He goes on to describe how difficult a time it was and continues:

"My spiritual practice gave me an outlook that made it possible to keep searching for solutions without losing sight of the fact that we are all humans led astray by wrong ideas and united by common bonds, ready for improvement.
    This has taught me that the perspectives of compassion, calm, and insight are essential to daily life and must be cultivated in daily practice. Trouble is bound to come, so cultivating the right attitude is crucial. Anger diminishes our power to distinguish right from wrong, and this ability is one of the highest human attributes. If it is lost, we are lost. Sometimes it is necessary to respond strongly, but this can be done without anger. Anger is not necessary. It has no value."

In chapter 3, "Discovering How Trouble Starts and Stops", he heads the first part "The Second Noble Truth: Sources of Suffering" and he writes:

"After identifying the scope of suffering, we need to discover its sources, which are twofold: afflictive, or counterproductive, emotions and contaminated karmas.

Afflictive Emotions

Since afflictive emotions contaminate karmas, or actions, I will discuss them first. There are two classes of afflictive emotions-one that is better expressed and the other that is better not expressed. An example of the former is a terrible fear from the past that becomes fixed in the mind. In this case, it is definitely beneficial to let your feelings out and discuss the incident. (He goes on to tell a story form his childhood.)

It is better to talk about such things that occur only once, whereas the other class of counterproductive emotions-which include such feelings as lust, hatred, enmity, jealousy, and belligerence-should not be expressed; they become more and more frequent. Expressing them tends to make them stronger and more prevalent. It is better to reflect on the disadvantages of engaging in such emotions and to try to displace them with feelings of satisfaction and love. We should forcefully overcome negative emotions when they appear, but it would be even better to find ways to prevent them in the first place."

I consider anger to be a negative emotion that contaminates actions (not to mention wreaks havoc on the human heart) and since life is so short and trouble is not in short supply, I think replacing anger with more helpful emotions is necessary.

Brigid
    edited March 2006
    Brigid wrote:

I consider anger to be a negative emotion that contaminates actions (not to mention wreaks havoc on the human heart) and since life is so short and trouble is not in short supply, I think replacing anger with more helpful emotions is necessary.

Brigid

Which is exactly my point in the last post I made. :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    But Fede, that's not what you said here,
    federica wrote:
    Bien dit, mon ami....

I find it quite frequent that some Buddhists seem to believe that in order to achieve Enlightenment, we have to shed every vestige of what it means to be a Human being... we have to become completely transformed and know only the 'Positive' Emotions (Compassion, Kindness, Love, Politeness...) But that all the 'Negative' Traits must be eliminated and anihilated.... And if I have given that impression in my post (I can see I might have done) that's not what I meant.
    THis is why I made a loose reference to Kipling's Poem, "If"...

"If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two Impostors just the same....."

If we indulge in anger it contaminates our actions but here you're saying that doesn't matter. I'm not quite sure what you're saying.

Brigid
    edited March 2006
    I'm saying don't make such a big deal of it... Do something constructive with it, then move on. Forget it.

Hyper-analysis cause parlysis.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I don't think I'm hyper analyzing anything. All I'm saying is that I don't agree with you and Genryu about anger. I think it's better to prevent it from arising in the first place. I was making a simple point, that's all.

Brigid
  • edited March 2006
    If one gets to the root of anger - the sense of fear and separation, before it becomes an active emotion as it were, then yes I'd agree with you. What I was pointing to is that the idea of trying to replace one emotion with another is simply playing with the deck chairs on the Titanic. Anger in this case can also be a healthy and natural human emotion and once it's arisen, needs to be acknowledged and worked with skilfully.

The Dalai Lama may believe that anger is unecessary and 'has no value', but then nor does any other emotion apart from what we attribute to it and all emotions are indeed necessary. This is not to say that one should indulge something that hurts oneself and others, far from it, but that we either get to the root of the anger before it becomes an emotion, which is what I would equate with your 'stopping it arising', or, once it has arisen, that we learn to have a straightforward way of working with it. I think there are two different levels of working with anger - the first is to see the harm it can do and try to contain and channel that, the second is to go to the source of anger and learn to transmute it, which in Buddhism is called 'The Buddha's Lion's Roar' - the clear and unequivocal acknowledgement that all states, conditions and emotions are part of the path. Trungpa Rinpoche in speaking of the Vajrayana approach to anger, other emotions and the things that are normally rejected as not being 'spiritual' put it this way,

"It is not a question of 'getting there' or 'being there'; the Tantric tradition speaks of being here. It speaks of transmutation and the analogy of alchemistic practice is used a great deal. For example, the existence of lead is not rejected but lead is transmuted into gold. You do not have to change its metallic quality at all; you must simply transmute it"
    -

Chogyam Trungpa, Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism.

This might be of interest:

The Lion's Roar - Transmuting Emotions
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I completely, 100% agree with everything you just wrote. And I understand it. LOL!

And that's a wonderful link, Genryu. It's perfect for what I was talking about. I've saved it because I'm going to use it a lot.
    Thanks!

Brigid
    edited March 2006
    Good. I'm so glad.

That's cleared that up then hasn't it? :lol:
  • edited March 2006
    Damn, I was hoping for a food fight.