Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How does a layperson go about finding a teacher in the Theravada tradition?

ajnast4rajnast4r Veteran
edited November 2011 in Buddhism Basics
I have looked at the websites for various monasteries and they have Dhamma talks and tea time with monks and whatnot, but how does one go about finding one-on-one instruction as a layperson? Do you just show up during open times and bring your questions to the monk?

Do monks do things like email communication?

Comments

• zenffzenff Veteran
    edited November 2011
    In my limited experience the best way to get a private conversation with the monk was “giving dana”. That meant you cooked a meal for the monk; sat there while he ate it and had a talk with him when he was finished eating. You’d have to make an appointment for such a dana.
    Private instructions on meditation were given during meditation-retreats.
  • In Theravada Forest Tradition monasteries, when a monk or abbot is giving a talk, the talk usually lasts for an hour and then there's a break for tea for 20-30 minutes and then another hours question and answer session. Its possible to approach the teacher during the break and have a chat to him. Its also possible to book private appointments with the help of a secretary in advance. Female students have to be chaperoned of course because a Theravada monk or abbot isn't allowed to be alone in a room with a woman.
  • I have experience with the Thai Forest traditions in England. There it is quite open, you can have tea times when the lay people ask an Ajahn (generally a monk/nun with over 10 years in the robes) questions. Or some are just approachable as you walk around particularly if you stay there etc. A good idea is to ring and ask I guess.

And as zenff said there were also retreats at the TF monasteries where you would receive instruction as well.
  • thanks a lot all... very good suggestions.
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    I emailed the Thai Forest Monastery in my country to ask if I could come visit for two weeks. I ended up staying five months!
    I had great discussions and lots of informal teaching, lots of one-on-one time, and it pretty much sold me on becoming a monk.
    I'm going to Thailand and Sri Lanka next year to become an anagarika.

• I'm going to Thailand and Sri Lanka next year to become an anagarika.
    Excellent. May you meet with success.

You may enjoy these youtube interviews with a young American soon after he ordained as a novice. If you tap "Nehn Jamal Night" into youtube search many will come up.