Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Freddie - Gone

buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
edited March 2006 in General Banter
I say we toilet paper her login while she's out taking care of business.

A food fight may be in order also.

It's time for all the anarchists to PLAY!

-bf

Comments

• edited March 2006
    (producing a tray of overripe peaches) Care to start BF?
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Oops!, I'm sorry, Knit!

you = :PWNED:

Towels are in the kitchen :)

-bf
  • edited March 2006
    (turns to audience) Ha ha ha ha - little does he suspect I have stuffed his underwear with kippers!
    edited March 2006
    Oh... I saw them in there...

But it seemed kind of kinky... so I thought, "What the hey!?"

-bf
  • edited March 2006
    (come on boys and girls) OH NO YOU DIDN'T
  • edited March 2006
    What's a kipper?

By the way, Knitwitch...it's "Oh no you di-in't"
    edited March 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    What's a kipper?

Good one :)

I was going to try to correct her (ala Jerry Springer) but didn't know how to spell it.

Thanks for doing that!

-bf
  • edited March 2006
    Glad I could help with the Jerry Springer lingo.
  • edited March 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    What's a kipper?

A kipper is a smoked herring, usually eaten for breakfast and the smelliest fish in the world after Bombay Duck. It used to be the traditional get-your-own-back trick to nail a kipper to the back of someone's wardrobe to stink their bedroom out.

And the reply (British Pantomime style) is OH YES YOU DID
  • edited March 2006
    Eeeewwwww. I think I will stick to the grapefruit that I am eating right now.
  • edited March 2006
    Stick to the grapefruit ? ................. Ooooh Missus, obvious you haven't got a glue-ten allergy!

(Now look, you've got me in Pantomime Dame mode!)
  • edited March 2006
    Nope - no allergies here! I love eating fresh grapefruit. I eat one everday. Are you not able to eat citrus fruit?? That would really suck!!

Love your accent, by the way! :)
  • edited March 2006
    Stick - glue? Get it? The accent? Oh lor that's got me into more trouble than I care to think about !
  • edited March 2006
    LOL...I get it now. :) I'm a little slow. Sometimes it takes a while for me to catch up.
  • edited March 2006
    If you've never been exposed to Pantomime, it's a bit of an alien concept! Basically you make as many faintly rude jokes and "double entendre" as possible and interact with the audience doing the Oh no you haven't, Oh yes I have routine. And when the hero is standing in front of the baddie and unaware of him, the audience shouts "He's behind you".

It's terribly childish and I adore it ..... I'd have made a smashing Panto Dame apart from the fact that I'm female, and they are always played by men.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited March 2006
    A kjipper, hung on string around the neck and against the skin, was used in the East End of London as a specific against colds, 'flu, the croup, etc. During the War, my parents worked in the East End. Ma could still recall the smell, especially towards March and April as people would sew themselves into their underclothes at the beginning of winter!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    How on earth did they procreate, Simon? Or did it turn into a case of desensitization of the smell? One wonders.

When I was a child, my father would make kippers for breakfast as a treat. For him.
    But I quite like them now.
    My father would also go to Chinatown and buy thousand year old eggs, a great delicacy, or so he said. They were eggs that had been buried in the earth for some specified time and dug up and sold. The yolks were black and the whites were dark green and the smell...
    It's no longer legal to sell them here.
    When my father dies, these memories will be very precious to me, I'm sure. LOL. Just kidding. They already are.

Brigid
  • edited March 2006
    Brigid...have you ever seen the show Fear Factor? On one episode, they had the contestants eat those eggs that had been buried for a thousand years. It was so nasty!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Yes, Yogamama, I've seen it but I think it was only a couple of episodes from the first season. I saw them eating live insects and being put in a huge glass tank full of other creepy crawlies. I can't watch it anymore. Yuck!
    And to think those eggs are considered to be a great delicacy. My western mind will stay closed on that subject, thank you very much. LOL!

But then again, on a recent episode of CSI: New York there was an exotic food dinner for the very wealthy in which they served live, very small octopus on a stick and deep fried HUGE spiders. One of the victims... no...I won't go on. I don't want to upset anybody. LOL!

Love,
    Brigid
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    I have eaten Chinese '100-year-old' eggs...
    they are lush.... but they look like something a bottom-dwelling scum-sucker has brought up....:zombie: :grin:
  • edited March 2006
    Seriously? When you say "they are lush", does that mean you actually liked them? I don't think I could stomach that. Being that even cooked chicken grosses me out, I don't think I could eat one of those eggs.

I think I remember on Fear Factor that there was some sort of a baby bird in each egg that they had to eat??? Is that true? Was the brid partially formed? EWWWWW! That may have been a different episode of that show. They eat some pretty gross stuff.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    "Eggs are preserved by salting or lime-treating, for which duck's eggs, rarely eaten in Western countries but are very much appreciated in China, are more commonly used. Lime-preserved eggs are the so-called 100-year-old eggs, which are best when about 100 days old. The lime has a petrifying effect, making the egg look like it has been buried for at least a century. The black outer shell is removed to expose an amber-colored white and dark golden yolk. The egg has a pungent cheese-like flavor. Chicken eggs are most often used, though duck and goose eggs can be substituted. I personally prefer the tastier duck egg version. Hundred-year eggs can be found in Chinese markets and will keep at room temperature (under 70ºF) for up to two weeks or can be refrigerated up to a month; usually eaten uncooked, for breakfast or as an appetizer. Soy sauce or minced ginger makes a good accompaniment. Also called century egg, thousand-year egg and Ming Dynasty egg. "

Pictures on the following site:

http://www.chinesefood-recipes.com/chinese_egg_recipes/chinese_egg_recipes.php
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    But don't those yolks look green to you? They describe them as "dark golden".

And what was it like? Like cheese? What did you eat it with?
    My father really loved them. He misses them. I can't remember how he used to eat them. But I know he loves minced or sliced and pickled ginger. He loves all authentic Chinese cuisine. It's his favourite food. I'm starting to think he may have been some kind of Chinese military commander in a previous life. I'm going to tell him this. lol.

Brigid
    edited March 2006
    I think I'd rather eat the ducks rear-end.

-bf
  • edited March 2006
    Maybe that's because you look like a ducks rear end.
    edited March 2006
    I know you are, but what am I?

-bf

P.S. As odd as it seems, this could actually be one of ZM's responses...!
    edited March 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    But don't those yolks look green to you? They describe them as "dark golden".

And what was it like? Like cheese? What did you eat it with?
    My father really loved them. He misses them. I can't remember how he used to eat them. But I know he loves minced or sliced and pickled ginger. He loves all authentic Chinese cuisine. It's his favourite food. I'm starting to think he may have been some kind of Chinese military commander in a previous life. I'm going to tell him this. lol.

Brigid

The yolks are pine green, the whites like dark amber, or like maple syrup in colour. The flavour, (with your eyes shut ) s like a hard-boiled egg, with a slightly runny yolk, and the whole with a slight smoky taste.
    You eat it with a salad, or cold duck, or cold summer noodles and soy sauce, and lightly grilled tofu....
    There are many recipes which call for fried 100-year-old eggs.... never tried them though....

By the way....
    Freddie's back. :)
  • angulimalaangulimala Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    It's no longer legal to sell them here.

Brigid
    why it's illegal to sell the eggs now there?it's quite expensive here,so we dont eat that everyday.
    edited March 2006
    It contravenes health laws.... It's the same in France. Technically, the eggs are 'raw' even though they have been preserved, so they are considered fresh, and can't be sold if they have no 'production' date or expiry date.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Right, Fede. That's exactly why you can't get them here. I bet, though, they're still around somewhere in Canada. We have a large Asian population.

Thanks for that description, Fede. They sound delicious. No wonder my father loves them.

Brigid