Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

spiritual crossroad.

edited March 2006 in General Banter
I love Buddhism and its simpe messages and the feeling of calm its given me in my life.

but I started learning about Krishna and I don't see myself becoming a Krishna devotee, but I feel like I'm being pulled in two different directions.

should I just keep investigating this more while holding onto my Buddhist roots or what?

I feel so confused!

Comments

• edited March 2006
    Craig wrote:
    I love Buddhism and its simpe messages and the feeling of calm its given me in my life.

but I started learning about Krishna and I don't see myself becoming a Krishna devotee, but I feel like I'm being pulled in two different directions.

should I just keep investigating this more while holding onto my Buddhist roots or what?

I feel so confused!

Craig,
    Mate don't be confused, one person is not able to serve two masters. Continue with your Buddhist training/studies if that brings you greater satisfaction and look at the Hindu stuff as a general interest. The two systems are close in some aspects, yet vastly different in others. Realising this you can not go wrong.
    You must in the end do what is right for you, for its your salvation and no one elses.

Cheers:thumbsup:
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Esau wrote:
    Craig,
    Mate don't be confused, one person is not able to serve two masters. Continue with your Buddhist training/studies if that brings you greater satisfaction and look at the Hindu stuff as a general interest. The two systems are close in some aspects, yet vastly different in others. Realising this you can not go wrong.
    You must in the end do what is right for you, for its your salvation and no one elses.

Cheers:thumbsup:

Two very 'Christian' statements, Esau!

There are no 'masters'.

There is no 'salvation'.

If your study of the Krsna story and scriptures enlarges your understanding and arouses your compassion, Craig, carry on regardless. Find the true common ground which is in your own mind and actions.
  • edited March 2006

Two very 'Christian' statements, Esau!

There are no 'masters'.

There is no 'salvation'.

If your study of the Krsna story and scriptures enlarges your understanding and arouses your compassion, Craig, carry on regardless. Find the true common ground which is in your own mind and actions.
    Ah, Christian? The first quote was from a movie about Jazz and Blues??? Could have come from the Bible??? Salvation = Nibbana, just a word....."seek out thy own salvation with diligence" The Buddha.....
  • edited March 2006
    Craig wrote:

I feel so confused!

Craig, it's pretty simple. If you want to experience altered states, bliss, cosmic consciousness and so on - definitely go for Krishna. You won't wake up of course because that's not what that tradition's about. What you will do is feel a little better temporarily in the dream. What this is really about is deciding exactly what it is you want. Do you want the dream to be a little more colorful and pleasant or do you want to wake up? There's nothing intrinsically wrong with wanting to make the dream more palatable but it's not the same as waking up and shouldn't be confused with it. The important thing is to be honest about what you're seeking and then stick with it.
  • edited March 2006
    Craig, I note that your Buddhist tradition is Theraveda. Have you explored the Tibetan traditions at all? The reason I ask is that initially my search started by exploring the Hindu traditions, specifically Shiva, but the interest in mind training brought me to tantric Buddhism.

Just a thought.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Esau wrote:
    Ah, Christian? The first quote was from a movie about Jazz and Blues??? Could have come from the Bible??? Salvation = Nibbana, just a word....."seek out thy own salvation with diligence" The Buddha.....

Matthew 6:24 - long before movies, I fear.

Salvation and Nibbana can only be said to be the same thing if we stretch the meanings and etymology far beyond their origins.
  • edited March 2006
    harlan wrote:
    Craig, I note that your Buddhist tradition is Theraveda. Have you explored the Tibetan traditions at all? The reason I ask is that initially my search started by exploring the Hindu traditions, specifically Shiva, but the interest in mind training brought me to tantric Buddhism.

Just a thought.
    lol I didn't even notice it was still Therevada, I've decided after what Zenmonk said, that even though the dream can be sweet, the glimpses I've caught of the awakened world through meditation and reading sutras and reflecting have been better.

I've decided to continue following Zen as more of a practice rather than a study.

I still like the Krishna story and imagery, but thinking last night and all day today, and after what zenmonk said!, I've decided it's not for me.

oh and I had therevada cause I got confused and thought Zen was part of Therevada lol excuse me
  • edited March 2006
    In regards to Zen and Theravada - they are the same in that the core of all Buddhist traditions, apart perhaps for some outer aspects of Pure Land sects, is the same. In terms of practice too, Zen is the closest of the Mahahayana schools to Theravadin practice. Other than that - you're in trouble now lol. Seriously though, there's nothing wrong with deriving inspiration from a variety of sources and traditions, and I'm certainly not trying to claim otherwise. When it comes to doing a practice though, we can only really do one thoroughly and in that sense, it's important to decide on whether one wants to wake up or to have a better dream life. Once that decision is made - there is no turning back.