Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

American Censorship Day!!!

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited November 2011 in Buddhism Today
Today, November 16, 2011, is American Censorship Day. Congress is holding hearings on the first American Internet censorship system.

This bill can pass. If it does the Internet and free speech will never be the same. Amongst other aspects of the bill:

Website Blocking
The government can order service providers to block websites for infringing links posted by any users.

Risk of Jail for Ordinary Users
It becomes a felony with a potential 5 year sentence to stream a copyrighted work that would cost more than $2,500 to license, even if you are a totally noncommercial user, e.g. singing a pop song on Facebook.

Chaos for the Internet
Thousands of sites that are legal under the DMCA would face new legal threats. People trying to keep the internet more secure wouldn’t be able to rely on the integrity of the DNS system.

Visit Americancensorship.org to help fight against passage of the bill.

http://www.disinfo.com/2011/11/american-censorship-day/

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I'm going to delete your comment, because I can.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited November 2011
    What, so America now runs the cencorship of the entire internet that spans the globe? Hmm, I smell the scent of China in the air.