Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Kyudo (Japanese Archery) and Zen

MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
edited November 2011 in Arts & Writings

Comments

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    really cool stuff, although I checked out a local Kyudo place and it seems less religious/spiritual and more like a cooler way of doing archery (i.e. based on being able to hit the target properly). I'm guessing the emphasis varies from place to place.
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    Check out Taisen Deshimaru. One of his pupils was a westerner studying Kyudo.
  • I watched it several times and it seems to me the archer misses the target at the end? If so, this is even cooler. Zen is not about being perfect. It's about being what you are. The archer cannot control where the arrow goes after it has left the bow any more than he can control the wind that acts against the arrow. So in archery, as Zen, there is no such thing as doing something perfectly. There is only doing.