Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Get Ready for a New Human Species!

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited November 2011 in General Banter
If some of the information emerging from the technology, governmental, and academic worlds are any indication, not only is the police state here; the scientific dictatorship is right around the corner. Indeed, if recent comments made by Juan Enriquez are indicative of the coming state merger between technology and genetics, we have much to be concerned about.

For those that are unfamiliar with Enriquez, he may not be the most flashy of the science superstars currently on the scene, but he is not exactly a nobody either. Enriquez was the founding director of the Harvard Business School Life Sciences Project and is currently chairman and CEO of Biotechonomy LLC., a “life sciences research and investment firm” and managing director of Excel Venture Management. He is the author of numerous books, including As The Future Catches You: How Genomics And Other Forces Are Changing Your Life, Work, Health, and Wealth and The Untied States of America: Polarization, Fracturing, and Our Future.

Enriquez also serves on the boards of Cabot Corporation, The Harvard Medical School Genetics Advisory Council, The Chairman’s International Council of the America’s Society, the Visiting Committee of Harvard’s David Rockefeller Center, Tuft University’s EPIIC, and Harvard Business School’s PAPSAC.

Enriquez is a Harvard graduate himself who has previously served as CEO of Mexico City’s Urban Development Corporation, Coordinator General of Economic Policy and Chief of Staff for Mexico’s Secretary of State. Enriquez also boasts of working closely with Craig Venter, who is generally credited with the mapping of the human genome.

Obviously, Enriquez has established quite the résumé in the academic and business worlds. This, combined with his appearances on the very popular TED conference talks, only add to his qualifications in the field of culture creation which is most likely his role. Indeed, much like the other scientific superstars provided to the public by the culture industry, it appears Mr. Enriquez may be more talented in the area of delivering messages than making discoveries. This is why Enriquez’s comments during the interview with Technology Review’s Emily Singer are somewhat disturbing.

The interview was conducted after Enriquez’s speech at a Technology Review conference where he mentioned that, as described by Singer, “Our newfound ability to write the code of life will profoundly change the world as we know it.” According to Enriquez, because we as humans can engineer both our environment and ourselves, humanity is now breaking the “boundaries” of our own natural existence and development which, of course, is described as “Darwinian evolution,” itself a questionable strand of a highly suspect theory to begin with.

http://redicecreations.com/article.php?id=17589

Comments

• Natural evelotuion between humans has been highly slowed down, that is due to the fact we do not fight for mating rights etc. But yes, genetic science etc, depends on the people. A lot of religions are against it, I personaly do not give a sh*t, whatever happens happens, make some super human, I will invite him/her over for tea!
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Natural evelotuion between humans has been highly slowed down, that is due to the fact we do not fight for mating rights etc. But yes, genetic science etc, depends on the people. A lot of religions are against it, I personaly do not give a sh*t, whatever happens happens, make some super human, I will invite him/her over for tea!
    Lol!
  • edited November 2011
    I'm looking forward to this.

I've always wanted to see if people can change the genetics of already existing people, rather than changing the codes of fetuses so that they'll grow into what's been programmed

I volunteer myself to neurologists and psychologists all the time. It'd be great if I were the subject to one of these.

I'm not intelligent at all. I read two books a week and do puzzles. All it means is that I have less room in my house and I can complete an "Evil level" sudoku in less that five minutes. I've inherited my mum's intelligence genetics and my mum is as thick as pig-shit. I love her, but I've met smarter bars of soap. I'm interested if anybody can change my genetics to possibly change the structure of my brain and mostly my cerebral cortex and make me more intelligent.

Maybe then I wont have to read wikipedia on simple English when I need to remember what part of my brain works the memory, perceptual awareness, language, technical skills, thought and consciousness.

My intelligence and lack there of has been the most frustrating thing for me in my life. I'm good at working with my hands and I'm a great visual learner, but I'm certainly not a bright bulb. The people I look up to are the intelligent people of the world. I love TED talks and listening to new things. Unfortunately I understand and remember very little of what I learn. I love reading about chemical engineering, but still, I'm not smart enough to understand what I'm reading to the point where I can tell you anything you may not already know.

Lets see where this goes. :ninja:
  • Sagat, you sound quite smart to me. Reading two books a week is very good. I've only read the Harry Potter series and some dharma books in the past 10 years.
  • @jeffrey love this comment LOL. Gave me a chuckle to the start of my day :)
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    @Sagat i think we're in the same boat here. i read/study/watch documentaries and stuff all the time... but i remember so little of it. i love learning but it's the remembering part that gets me! haha. unless it really makes an impression or it's information that i can actually use... out it goes...

"How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
    The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
    Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
    Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd"
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    @Sagat i think we're in the same boat here. i read/study/watch documentaries and stuff all the time... but i remember so little of it. i love learning but it's the remembering part that gets me! haha. unless it really makes an impression or it's information that i can actually use... out it goes...

"How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
    The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
    Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
    Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd"
    Same, but I think it comes to putting it all to use.
    Even if you remember .1 percent of it and put it to use, it will be more beneficial.