Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

should and should not. can and cannot.

frequency86frequency86 Explorer
edited November 2011 in Buddhism Basics
There have been alot of threads about what a buddhist can or cannot do. I think what I like most about Buddhism is that everything you choose to adopt into your practice, is solely for the benefit of your practice. I say: try it! If your practice suffers, then remove it. I don't do anything merely based on what someone tells me. I try it based on suggestion, and see if it's true for me. As a result, I speak truth, I do not drink alcohol, I have decided not to eat meat, I don't wear amulets but DO wear a mala for mantra recitation, I refrain from violence, I meditate daily, I try to keep my possessions to a minimum, I try to show everyone love, respect, and compassion. I do these things not because I'm afraid of getting a spanking from a deity, or to look like a good little Buddhist, but because they help me in my practice. If I started drinking alcohol on the weekends, my compassion for others would suffer immediately (short term), and my meditative practice would suffer (long term). Others may not experience these problems but there is a reason it is one of only five precepts. (Eight if you like.)

I have adopted the five precepts over time because they have cultivated mindfulness, and helped me on the path. Not because I was afraid of what would happen if I didn't. If something doesn't cultivate mindfulness for you (and be honest with yourself) then it will not benefit you in the least to adopt that into your practice.

I think we all have relatively the same goal here. Haha! Just a thought.

Buddhism is deeply personal. This is why there are so many different points of view (and arguments) on newbuddhist.

It is important to remember that everyone is right as long as they are truthful with themselves.

Comments?

Comments

• This is a very apt post, there has been a lot of threads asking if such and such is right within the eyes of the buddha, granted mostly people newsish to buddhism. How can you learn something in life without having gone through a process of fault. For example, if you read or hear that it is wrong to meditate in a certain way or with music for instance, how can you know until you try it? It is also why I prefer buddhism because ir provides the tools and does not demand you do certain things, it is all down to you. No god is going to judge you or smite you down, only you can do that and then learn from it.
  • Thank you for this. I was drawn to buddhism for the exactly the reason that there are not so many rules as compared to listening carefully and following your inner voice. I can't turn mine off and so I have a hard time with rules oriented churches. When you get really into it I think sometimes this path is harder, you have to be very aware of yourself and your intentions. You can do things that others would accept and still know it is wrong, and yet break rules that others agree upon and know it is right.
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    My inner voice of truth tells me it's ok to break some copyright laws, while my inner legalist squirms with disgust. What then?
  • Meditate, blame it on someone else, use an alias, flee the country and so forth
    bwahaha! It's not that bad ;) But, just an example of right versus proper/correct/legal/whatever.
  • Is it disruptive to your practice? If so, stop.
    Not really. It's more disruptive to my feeling that I should comply with rules to feel ok - which is a good thing I suppose.

But back to the OP, I totally agree - how it affects our practice is the way to judge whether we should or shouldn't do something - as long as compassion for self and others is there (or we're working towards it).