Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Humanistic Psychology

edited November 2011 in Arts & Writings
Hi Everyone,
I have been pursuing a Psychology for three years now. I was introduced to meditation and presence 5 years ago. I decided to get a psychology degree for two reasons. One I wanted to find out what main stream psychology thought about the value of the present moment, and two I was looking for an avenue to teach the value of the present moment.

I am currently writing a paper about the founder of the Humanistic branch of psychology Abraham Maslow. In my research I have discovered that he created this branch of psychology after reading about Buddhism and Taoism. Maslow writes in his book, "Humanistic Psychology from Motivation and Personality", about how a self actualized person would react to the mundane humdrum events of everyday life

for such a person, any sunset may be as beautiful as the first one, any flower may be
of breath-taking loveliness, even after he has seen a million flowers. The thousandth
baby he sees is just as miraculous a product as the first one he saw. He remains as
convinced of his luck in marriage thirty years after his marriage and is as surprised by
his wife’s beauty when she is sixty as he was forty years before. For such people,
even the casual workaday, moment-to-moment business of living can be thrilling,
exciting, and ecstatic.

This passage could of been written by Buddha himself. Does anyone know where I can find this passage or a similar passage that can be attributed to an ancient Buddhist scholar? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Doug Anderson