Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Discussion forum costs?

XraymanXrayman Veteran
edited March 2006 in NewBuddhist.com
Brian,
to run a forum like this, is there a cost to you? just curious.

When you reply I'll discuss this further with you.

regards,
Xray:confused:

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited March 2006
    definitely. :) That's why I have to have ads. The goal is to break even so it costs me nothing to host the site every month. Sometimes there's a slight shortage, sometimes a slight surplus. It all generally evens out in the end, and luckily I am able to basically host the site for "basically free".
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Hmmm....

-bf
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I have been involved with a few forums that were initially for "free". After some time though, the webmaster/mistress started to ask for subscriptions (donations) this continued until there was very terse and abrupt messages regarding the expense etc. of running site xyz until everybody got pi**ed off and the forum was discontinued .

Personally, while I understand the actual issue regarding costs, I would have thought that any person thinking of undertaking such a concept as setting up a forum, would have done some homework beforehand, before blaming contributors/users and then effectively "forcing" charity from people.

I am not saying you are doing this and I applaud you for this. Thank you.

regards,
    Xrayman

P.S. The forums were not related to buddhism.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited March 2006
    I will NEVER charge for ANY of the content on this site. The information on this site, the ideas, the conversations, the educational materials, the experiences, the pictures - all of it will always remain free of charge. Charging for any of it would be antithetical to the very ideas that conceived this site.

I have a lot of experience running forum sites. Luckily, this experience lets me drive this site with a smooth, practiced hand ;)

I'm glad you enjoy the site so much. That's all the payment I ask for :)
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    That's cool mate.

The site I was involved with was about Short-Wave Radio Listening, boring I know, but it was the "internet" of the seventies/eighties! I'm a Radio Engineer, so it was particularly interested in the content,then the guy starts to rant and rave about bandwidth, costs per MB and all this other technical crap that i didn't understand (and either did the other users)-then he went nuts about such low subscription rates to the site.

I'm sorry, I just don't quite get the whole concept, that's why I asked you the question.

P.S. The poor box is on the way out just near the door, if you'd like to contribute...:wink
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    I shall now close this thread, and charge a nominal fee if people wish to add to it.... :D
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    LOL!!

And Brian, thanks again, eh? (Now THAT'S Canadian!)

Love,
    Brigid