Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Black Friday Sales Up Seven Percent Over 2010!

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited November 2011 in General Banter
- The holiday shopping season got off to a strong start on Black Friday, with retail sales up 7 percent over last year, according to one survey. Now stores just have to keep buyers coming back without the promise of door-buster savings.

Buyers spent $11.4 billion at retail stores and malls, up nearly $1 billion from last year, according to a report released Saturday by ShopperTrak. It was the largest amount ever spent on the day that marks the beginning of the holiday shopping season, and the biggest year-over-year increase since 2007. Chicago-based ShopperTrak gathers data from 25,000 outlets across the U.S., including individual stores and shopping centers.

Online shopping was strong as well, with a 24.3 percent increase in online spending on Black Friday, according to IBM, which tracks sales at 500 online retailers.

Bill Martin, who founded ShopperTrak, said he was surprised by the strong showing. He had expected the weak economy to dent consumer confidence and keep more shoppers out of the stores, or at least from spending much. Instead, he said, consumers responded to a blanket of promotions, from 60-percent off deals to door-buster savings on electronics.

"I'm pleased to see it. You can't have a great season without having a good Black Friday," Martin told The Associated Press in an interview.

Still, he suspects things will quiet down this weekend, as promotions end and the buying frenzy subsides. ShopperTrak is expecting holiday sales to be up 3.3 percent overall through Christmas.

There were few shoppers at Pioneer Place Mall in Portland, Ore., on Saturday.

"This is great, I'm glad I waited," said MaryJane Danan, who drove two hours from Corvallis, Ore., to go shopping with her teenage daughters. She stayed home on Black Friday because she thought the crowds would be huge. But she was surprised by how few people were out Saturday.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/26/black-friday-sales-up-seven-percent_n_1114349.html

Comments

• Is this supposed to be good news? I didn't spend a single penny all day (I'm happy to say). In fact, I didn't set foot in a retail outlet, nor did I log onto a single retail web site. I went for a hike in the woods with my pooch...

If more of us refused to participate in the consumer bacchanalia, a lot less would be wrong with the world.
  • edited November 2011
    The problem is that the economy is now driven by consumerism. This didn't used to be the case. Once upon a time, the economy was driven by production, wholesaling to businesses and stores, and exports. Remember after 9/11, Bush told everyone to go shopping? That was their patriotic duty. How times change.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    The problem is that the economy is now driven by consumerism. This didn't used to be the case. Once upon a time, the economy was driven by production, wholesaling to businesses and stores, and exports. Remember after 9/11, Bush told everyone to go shopping? That was their patriotic duty. How times change.
    I do remember! Amazing. This is definitely Good and Bad news.

• So we're on an unsustainable, downward spiraling merry-go-round then? Sounds pretty much correct...
    So we're on an unsustainable, downward spiraling merry-go-round then? Sounds pretty much correct...
    I suppose it's both? It's a cycle like any other.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited November 2011
    i worked retail for years, so i still can't bring myself to do the black friday thing. i feel emotionally scarred, haha...

as it turned out though, i ended up at a good will on this black friday, shopping with my little cousins... i found two blazers, one from victoria secret and one from banana republic for $5.99 a piece that fit me perfectly (which, is a feat in itself). the victoria secret one retails like $70-80 and the banana republic one sells for $200... i couldn't believe my luck. they don't even look worn, the pockets were still sealed and everything. i'm pretty sure i got the best deal out of anyone who went to the usual corporate stores, haha.
    i worked retail for years, so i still can't bring myself to do the black friday thing. i feel emotionally scarred, haha...

as it turned out though, i ended up at a good will on this black friday, shopping with my little cousins... i found two blazers, one from victoria secret and one from banana republic for $5.99 a piece that fit me perfectly (which, is a feat in itself). the victoria secret one retails like $70-80 and the banana republic one sells for $200... i couldn't believe my luck. they don't even look worn, the pockets were still sealed and everything. i'm pretty sure i got the best deal out of anyone who went to the usual corporate stores, haha.
    That is awesome!:) Good to hear stories all these!:0