Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Finding Purpose after living a life of delusion

JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
edited November 2011 in General Banter
This is a NY Times article about a schizophrenic man who has learned to cope quite well and has his own theories

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/26/health/man-uses-his-schizophrenia-to-gather-clues-for-daily-living.html?ref=health

Comments

• BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    Interesting. I'm glad that he is continuing with therapy and appropriate medications. The support and insight of his friends and family are exemplary.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Thank you for sharing!
  • This is an interesting story, and I imagine it's inspiring for you, Jeffrey. What I notice is that he (and the friend who was helping him) connects some of his thought patterns to traumas, bullying and other abuse earlier in life. I can't help but think he, and others in his situation, could benefit from trauma therapy to clear some of that emotional stuff out of the system. They have methods these days that don't require the patient to revisit any unpleasant events, the methods work directly with the subconscious. I think that in many cases, schizophrenia can be healed, and the patients can eventually be drug-free. But that's a major project, and not everyone has access to insurance or funding to pay for the therapy.

*sighh* I wish there were resources to help people who needed help. Good story, though, nice post.
  • Yes its frustrating. My brother told me a story about a women who always felt persecuted and that she didn't need medications. Her children tried to reason with her but she ran away from home, so to speak. She wandered to an abandoned house that had been involved in apple growing (not sure why it was abandoned). She survived all year eating apples and kept a journal. Unfortunately they found her after having passed away in the winter.