Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I found this quote how do you think/reflect on it?

edited November 2011 in Arts & Writings
All know the Way, but few actually walk it.

If you don't find a teacher soon, you'll live this life in vain. It's true, you have the buddha-nature. But without the help of a teacher
you'll never know it. Only one person in a million becomes enlightened without a teacher's help.
If, though, by the conjunction of conditions, someone understands what the Buddha meant, that person doesn't need a teacher. Such a person has a natural awareness superior to anything taught. But unless you're so blessed, study hard, and by means of instruction you'll understand.

Comments

• Which is the quote and whose?
  • Regardless if you have a teacher or not it will always be up to the individual on how far they take their path. The quote to me is about waking up and realizing that there are choices to who we are and what we do. How often have we said to ourselves, I know I should be doing this or that, but it is so hard. As one of my teachers told me, this will be the most difficult thing you will ever do, and the most rewarding.
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    All of it is a quote and it's from Bodhidharma.

• For the insight of emptiness, dependent origination and anatta to arise in an individual without a teacher or even as reference takes remarkable causes and conditions.

For there to be a realization that all is buddha nature is remarkable. It is almost impossible without a teacher or reference through books or knowledge.

How would you know what to seek? On what basis would you even know what you realized?

Private buddhas are rare but it occurs. Rare!
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    edited November 2011
    The question is how do you find a teacher. And if you find a teacher how do you know if they are the right one for you?

For me it's a kind of koan. I don't have enought trust in myself or inspiration to go on my own. If I have a teacher, I get into all sort of issues with authority and trust, looking for perfection, etc.

I wish Bodhidharma was here..
  • THe finding a teacher, well I have had maybe one who got me pretty far but after that I was on my own again. I wonder about finding one, with my limited time and resources, and then going through a few until I get the one I need. I already went through the searching and finidng process with a relationship and a counselor, leaving the wrong one is the best but always hard. So maybe I will find one like I found the right other people,