Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

is there any buddhist jews here?

angulimalaangulimala Veteran
edited July 2006 in Faith & Religion
just wondering and also to make this forum not so quiet.and i also like to know your opinion on zionism, i'd like to know from different point of view.in my country,indonesia,israel or jewish are the bad guys in the arab-israel conflict,so i think the indonesian press is not balance/neutral on this issue.thanks

Comments

• ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited March 2006
    To my knowledge the radicals seem to liken Jews+Christians+Non-Christians+Anything West as =Jews. But on the Arab-Israel conflict, to me it's just another Middle-East conflict. The Middle-East has always been a brewing riot for as long as written civilisation can remember. Always on racial and religious grounds. No one can be blamed except the generation befre them, and the generation before, and that generation prior to that and so on...

What the Middle-East needs is proper "moral" education other than that based on religion. The cause of all conflict there so far has always been religion. We need one generation that is like "Hey, we want Peace" and that's it - a simple cure. Only problem is how.

Actually I'm not a political scientist. But I think firstly we should end radicalism on both sides - then slowly get the moderates of both great faiths to come together and work on a common, everlasting peace. It will be hard, but it will be worthwhile. A safe Middle-East would mean many lives saved and loads of money saved for world-saving, literally.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I think fanaticism can come in any flavor. And that flavor usually tends to blame all the problems of the world on the other flavors.

This is an issue that has been going on for a long time. Doesn't it go back to Abraham having Ishmael with Hagar and Isaac with Sarah?

-bf
  • edited March 2006
    I support Zionist efforts. Israel has offered to give up the Gaza Strip and other hotspots as well as share the lands of Israel with the Palestinians, and they shot those offers down.

I would also like to point out that Palestine was never a state. It was always a region such as the Orient.
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I support Zionist efforts. Israel has offered to give up the Gaza Strip and other hotspots as well as share the lands of Israel with the Palestinians, and they shot those offers down.

I would also like to point out that Palestine was never a state. It was always a region such as the Orient.[/QUOTE]

And the Native Americans also did not have a 'state'. That did not give us the right to claim all their territory for ourselves. Additionally, we (the west) were quite presumptuous to establish a Jewish state in the Middle of Palestinian territory. Also, keep in mind that the Middle East was just emerging from European colonialism. It is not a wonder why they view the Western world with such an antogonistic view. Not that this justifies the more ugly aspects of their behavior.

_/\_
    metta
  • edited March 2006
    Well put.
  • angulimalaangulimala Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Well put.
    i second that zm, i think the israelis and the palestinians should accept the un resolution(1949 if i'm not mistaken).but this is the real world,who's stronger win
  • edited May 2006
    angulimala wrote:
    but this is the real world,who's stronger win

All too true and that's all that those regions know. The warlords are the ones who keep the peace. Disagree and we'll kill you! It's a travesty!! How could it not be the Jews land, their God gave them the land in the first place, well, he supposedly gave them the strength to kick butt on the occupiers of the land they wanted.

Look at the basic needs: food, shelter, security within one's personhood (sex is usually included in this list). Until one feels that they can secure they're basic needs there can be no aspiration to higher states of being. Such as self actualization, or the quest for real peace, which, is no more than the absence of againstness.

As stated earlier a secondary cause of the conflict is a religious isssue, as I see it, it is another failure of the whole theist mindset. A blessing of good intention to all in that and similar situations that they may realize they're true nature.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Whoever controls the lineage of God controls the Middle-East.
  • edited July 2006
    Hello Friends,
    Suffering is a fact, a constant, while knowing it or not, all living beings suffer. Isn't the idea to fix yourself, help others, and if you do it well it will spread? You can't argue someone out of the views they've spent a lifetime perfecting. But you can be an example of a better way to live.
  • edited July 2006
    You can't argue someone out of the views they've spent a lifetime perfecting. But you can be an example of a better way to live.

Well, I for one can't say that I think my country as a whole has set an example of a better way to live.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2006
    Iawa wrote:
    Well, I for one can't say that I think my country as a whole has set an example of a better way to live.

No, I know.....I can't say the same about my country either....but you know what they say...."Think Global, act Local"..... Drops of water, bit by bit, will steadily erode a hole in even the hardest stone....
  • edited July 2006
    That is my intent. Work within my circle of influence, and write lots of letters. Only the silent are never heard.
  • edited July 2006
    since christians are meant to be 33% of the population.. and we been at this for thousands of years i can pretty much hand on heart say.. that until society and peoples mentality changes nothing like thats ever going to happen.. on a global scale

if we lived several thousand years we might be victorious but not in this age with so few followers.. not in my life time anyway

as for local.. i think same applies.. you can only choose your friends who are up to the task.. most ppl are too stubborn and have a big block of ice covering their heart
  • edited July 2006
    Hello Friends,
    For what it's worth, Dalai Lama tickets sold really fast. UB stadium holds 32K. Thats alot of good Kamma.
    The truth is, even in the Buddha's time it was like this. He hated the suffering just as we do.
    I cling to "not being a part of the problem, and helping where I can" like it's a raft in white water.