Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

2nd Question: Troubled by movie

MakarovMakarov Explorer
edited March 2006 in Buddhism Basics
I am grateful for the wonderfully clear explanations to my first question. I knew you guys could help. Now for my second and final question that arose as I watched this movie.

There was a scene in which the young boy Monk was caught catching rabbits and killing them to make a fur stole to give his mother when she returnd to claim him from the Monastery. The boy was an orphan however so this was purely childish wishful thinking...hoping.

In what I would call a "fit of anger and outrage" at the boy Monks behavior the Master exclaimed loudly..."Your mother was a nun who broke her vows and left the monastery to marry a man. This man, your father, was a poacher. He trapped and killed animals illegally! You have not only YOUR bad karma to make-up for but also the bad karma of your parents!"

I have never heard that we are responsible for the bad karma of our ancestors (ie) parents, etc.

Again, I am confused. Am I responsible only for my actions or do I also bear responsibility for making amends for the bad actions of my parents, etc?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    Last time I tried to post, I was virtually finished, and I had a power-cut...."Current-Karma"....? Who knows....? So this time, I'll keep it brief....

Thus have I heard....

We have our own personal Karma to deal with and to transform by well-judged use of thought word and deed.... Though we must always remember the consequences can spread, as ripples on a pond and affect others....

A Country may have Collective Karma... as for example (and throwing no stones) Germany may have due to it's reputation of WWII.... The Germany of today is a very different one from the one existing in 1939 - 1945.... but unfortunately, there are still many who resent it and dislike it....

If a child misbehaves in class, and does not admit to their misdemeanour - and nobody else points the finger - the whole class may be subjected to a punishment meted out by the teacher.... Collective Karma....

But if another child DOES point the finger... then that child may have to deal with the consequence, and become unpopular and mistrusted; they may be victimised for having done what they believed was right.... personal AND Collective Karma....

Consider also that for example, you may be the child whose father murdered a neighbour. You may not be at fault at all. You may be completely innocent. But will others, less able to evaluate and judge the situation with clarity, see it that way? Will they not point at you and say, "that's so-and-so' son.... you know, the one who murdered....."
    the stigma remains.....
    So although you may not be responsible for what your parents do, the reputation of what they do may be something you have to live with....and deal with.... and by proving to others that you are a fine, upstanding, law-abiding citizen, you would deal, in a way, with 'your father's Karma' as well as your own....

Is this making ANY sense - ?? :)
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2006
    There are some Buddhist traditions that believe in collective karma. Something that is identifed with from a previous life cycle - even some that is collective from a family.

Others believe that it's an "action/reaction" belief.

Although, Fede's example shows that both of these could be true. People in some countries - who had nothing to do with the various atrocities of their parents - still deal with the karma or reaction of those actions.

I believe the different veins of Buddhism have different thoughts and practices regarding this.

-bf
  • edited March 2006
    You mean to tell me that not only do I have to worry about my own karma...I have to worry about the bad karma from my family members??? If that's true, then I am going to be stuck in samsara for a very long time!!!
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited March 2006
    Makarov ,

That is an incorrect view of kamma.
    'I am the owner of my actions (kamma), heir to my actions, born of my actions, related through my actions, and have my actions as my arbitrator. Whatever I do, for good or for evil, to that will I fall heir' - AN X.48

Kamma is one's own volitional action.

:)

Jason
  • edited March 2006
    Whew! :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    You said it, Yogamama. If collective familial karma were true I'd be going straight to a hell realm. LOL! (I'm harsh today.)

Love,
    Brigid
    edited March 2006
    But!

I think we're forgetting other Buddhist schools of thought.

I believe there are some Buddhist traditions that believe in paying for karma from previous lives and from our descendents.

Am I wrong in this?

Just trying to make sure all schools of Buddhism get a fair shake.

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    The Dalai Lama even spoke of this, when he mentioned Tibet's karma... So I didn't think I was mistaken... according to some traditions, collective karma DOES exist...
  • edited March 2006
    It's scary to think of the collective karma I will carry around from living in the United States!
    edited March 2006
    Nobody's exempt Yogamama...Pity me... I'm half English, half Italian and I live in France!!:hiding: :poke: :crazy: :lol:
    edited March 2006
    All,

I understand that there are different ways to view kamma, but perhaps we are not looking at kamma in the right light. There is an inherent danger when we try to make kamma into something that it is not. Kamma is not meant to be seen as some metaphysical system of rewards and punishments. Kamma is a being's own intentional action of body, speech, and mind. Basically, what we do matters. There is kamma that leads one to lower rebirths, kamma that leads one to higher rebirths, and kamma that leads one to the ending of rebirth altogether. To believe that you must "pay" for previous kamma is not an entirely correct way to utilize this teaching. It is true that the results of past kamma ripen when the right conditions are present, but we can also do something about it. We are not trapped in inaction because we must repeatedly "pay" for some past action. If we had to do that, liberation would not be possible. We have been doing unskillful actions for countless lifetimes! The Noble Eightfold Path is followed just for this purpose of ending kamma:
    And what is kamma that is neither dark nor bright with neither dark nor bright result, leading to the ending of kamma? Right view, right resolve, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration. This is called kamma that is neither dark nor bright with neither dark nor bright result, leading to the ending of kamma. - AN IV.235

Let us not foget Angulimāla, who after killling 999 people managed to become an arahant. His past kamma was heavy indeed. But, while on the way to murder his mother, the Buddha happened to walk by. Angulimāla tried to kill the Buddha, but found that he was unable to. Eventually, the Buddha converted him. While on alms, Angulimāla was attacked by an enraged crowd. But, he suffered through this attack as punishment for his past actions. It was certainly possible for him to escape this attack, but he did not in order to allow his past actions to bare fruit. With his intense practice, his beneficent kamma arose and destroyed former evil kamma. But, in the end, it was his own past kamma that he had to live the holy life to end, not the past kamma of others. While a person is certainly influenced by the conditioning of their parents, schools, culture, society, etc., it is their own intentional choices that is what we call kamma in Buddhism. No matter what they have picked-up over the years, it is what they intentionally do that shapes their future.

Jason
    edited March 2006
    True - it is not distringuished as "punishment" for past actions... but!...

It is a set of reactions based upon past actions.

And there are different schools of thought regarding how much reaction you're going to have to deal with based upon

a) your actions
    b) previous life actions
    c) descendant actions

It's just what school of thought you follow.

-bf
    edited March 2006
    buddhafoot,

All kamma is done in the present. All past kamma that we experience is called the vipaka (fruit) of such past kamma. Kammavipaka that we experience today is the result of past actions done either in this life, or actions done in some previous life. However, the actions of our descendants is neither our "kamma" nor our "vipaka". I am sorry, but I just cannot agree with you on that. As far as I have seen, that is not what the Buddha taught.

Jason
    edited March 2006
    Well next time you knock back a couple of tequilas and have two nice plump wenches on your respective laps....

Just kidding....
    I can't help feeling as if I've started something here....

Sorry guys, not intending to start an argument or nuthin'....

My own personal point of view is that we have enough karma of our own to deal with, without necessarily believing we are also responsible for the Karma of the Country as well... however, we surely try to "improve our collective lot" do we not, every time we cast a vote....?
    We just want to do right by the people and follow or elect someone who will do good and make better.....

(......Maybe I shouldn't leap into Politics right now... the UK is not a good place at the mo' what with our Budget just being reviewed.....:bs: :grin: )
    edited March 2006
    Elohim wrote:
    buddhafoot,

All kamma is done in the present. All past kamma that we experience is called the vipaka (fruit) of such past kamma. Kammavipaka that we experience today is the result of past actions done either in this life, or actions done in some previous life. However, the actions of our descendants is neither our "kamma" nor our "vipaka". I am sorry, but I just cannot agree with you on that. As far as I have seen, that is not what the Buddha taught.

Jason

Jason,

No worries... I'm not talking about what "I" believe...

I'm just saying that I believe there are Buddhist schools of thought that believe we also have to deal with kamma from whom we've descended from.

I'm basically just throwing this out to see if someone from a specific school of Buddhism supports or negates this claim.

-bf