Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hippies

edited March 2006 in General Banter
Of course everyone is welcome but how many hippies are their on this site. Personally I don't understand why there such strong connection's with tie-dye, bongs and Buddhism.
Personally I have always avoided it on my trips to the east.

And as for Dread locks......WHY ?

Disclaimer: I appreciate and respect "Hippies" in their purest form ie old beatnicks. The counter culture movement of the late 60's did many revolutionary things to enhance the world we enjoy today. However this dog on a string thing is a different puppy altogether.

HH:buck:

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    What is the point of this question?
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I'm not a hippie.

In fact, I guess I would be categorized best by "white cracker / middle class".

I think that many times people seek alternative beliefs - different from the WASP or Catholic mentality that may have been beaten into their heads their entire life - which possibly never made sense.

I also think that Buddhism is going through a "fashion" or "in vogue" phase which is causing a lot more people to look into it for whatever reason. "Absolutely Fabulous" even had a famous Buddhist in their midst :) Why is it that my art teachers in school used to (almost all of them) wear funky tie-died stuff they did. I think it's just a different type of mentality. I always thought it had something to do with Liberal Arts majors.

As for dreadlocks - Rastafarians believe that their hair is, like Samson, where aspects of the "strength" lies. Strength given to them by Jah.

Buddhism could be one of those religions/beliefs that, like voodoo, may one day find itself the conglomeration of many different beliefs all wrapped up into one, big ball of thoughts from different traditions.

It's certainly changing here in the West from how it's been viewed in India and Asia for centuries.

-bf
  • edited March 2006
    Of course everyone is welcome but how many hippies are their on this site. Personally I don't understand why there such strong connection's with tie-dye, bongs and Buddhism.
    Personally I have always avoided it on my trips to the east.

And as for Dread locks......WHY ?

Disclaimer: I appreciate and respect "Hippies" in their purest form ie old beatnicks. The counter culture movement of the late 60's did many revolutionary things to enhance the world we enjoy today. However this dog on a string thing is a different puppy altogether.

HH:buck:

Have you actually met any Buddhists lol?
  • edited March 2006
    O dear, everyone's on the defensive I see.
    BF you make a very goog point "As for dreadlocks - Rastafarians believe that their hair is, like Samson, where aspects of the "strength" lies. Strength given to them by Jah".

It's not just a fashion thing.

I have this problem with alot of wanna be Buddhists. I can bare all that Joss stick, Hemp stuff. Equally I cannot bare that high fashion thing either when folk go crazy for this year's D+G saphrone thing.

Why can't we just be the people we are. ie to conform and not to conform when we want to. Not wear a uniform.
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Well, I'm not a hippy myself- more an old rocker, but I guess the hippy association with Buddhism and other Eastern religions must hark back to the 1960s, and the Beatles' trips to India to see the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. All of a sudden, Eastern religions seemed to be a way for the students of that time to flout a traditional Judao-Christian perspective on religion in favour of something more exotic-sounding, with more of an emphasis on universal love. (Just my perspective.) Buddhism wasn't the only one- the Hare Krishna movement took off in a big way as well!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    Why can't we just be the people we are. ie to conform and not to conform when we want to. Not wear a uniform.

Now I see your point...thanks, HH.
    I personally wasn't being "defensive"... I really didn't see the point of your question...
    And to a certain extent, I still don't....

The very fact that we live in cities, in communities, in neighbourhoods, and have specific sets of friends, is reason enough to see why we do the things we do.... people feel safer in numbers....and we tend to be drawn to certain characteristics, certain habits, or behavioural patterns, because we feel more secure... It's a herding instinct, if you like.... and all animals have it....
    Even those who might claim to be individual and non-conformist will, if they look hard enough, find other individual non-conformists just like them.....
    We look for the like-ness in people... we look for those to whom we can relate, and even begin to act like them, to behave like they do, to dress like they do.... all in an effort to be accepted, and to be viewed and perceived in a specific light....
    True enough, there are those who may, to us, appear to be totally pretentious poseurs, and we may think they are simply making idiots of themselves.... but to a degree, they are simply doing what consciously or otherwise, we all do....
    They are looking to belong.
  • edited March 2006
    Flipping ek Federica,
    Your week away has certainly sharpened your mind. You are completely right of course, we are all looking to belong.
    However, I would defy any man who wears sandals to explain how that is belonging.
    I do believe once the masses have risen I am confident that all tie-dye will be considered too middle class and everyone will want to wear a untilitarian jump suits.

Up the workers.
    HH
    edited March 2006
    :)

Tell me the type of sandals you wear and I will tell you who you are.....

This is tongue-in-cheek, but you know what? Sometimes (scarily!) it works....!!

My week away as you describe it, was, to say the least, a learning curve...put it this way....
    I now know where I would rather NOT belong, FWIW.....!! ;)
  • edited March 2006
    OK, this could be very interesting .I will indeed tell you what I wear on my feet.

If I'm walking I wear Nike Shox or Campers . If I have a meeting I wear a pair of black Italian shoes.

If you tell me I'm a ponce there will be Big trouble in little China.

HH
    edited March 2006
    Well, Nike is big... so in a way, you want to belong and be part of a crowd that says, "Hey, I'm a sensible guy, I wear the right shoe for the right occasion.... and I'm as cool and blister-free as the rest of you....."

Campers, I'm less sure about... would that be four- or six-berth? Saw quite a few of them as a Camp-site manager, so if it's a big American retro-style silver bullet kind, I'm impressed.
    If you have a scooter on the back grille - less so.

Italian shoes say it all....
    "I'm-a smart, sleek man-about-town with style, panache and élan.... I'm incorruptible, unless the price is right, and I can sit amongst Monseignors and Mafioso's alike.....

Just-a call me 'Alposo'....."

I'm close aren't I? Scary, huh??:grin:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    LOL!
  • edited March 2006
    I'm incorruptible, unless the price is right.... Ha bloody ha.

You've been looking a my personal details again. Is nothing secret.

HH
    edited March 2006
    As for dreadlocks....

I've seen this becoming a trend as well.

So... everything is "up for grabs" when it comes to fashion.

-bf
  • edited March 2006
    I have this problem with alot of wanna be Buddhists. I can bare all that Joss stick, Hemp stuff. Equally I cannot bare that high fashion thing either when folk go crazy for this year's D+G saphrone thing.

I'm with you on this. Though I would also point out that if we think the issue is about a uniform and wearing one or not, we miss the simple fact that we are "just the people we are", whether we know it and live from that understanding or not. It reminds me of when someone asked the Zen teacher Tetsugen (Bernie) Roshi, a few years back, how to live in the 'Now' (I think she was a big fan of poor old Eckhart Tolle). Tetsugen Roshi laughed and said, "If there's anyone here not living in the now, please stand up."

:buck:
    edited March 2006
    It reminds me of when someone asked the Zen teacher Tetsugen (Bernie) Roshi, a few years back, how to live in the 'Now' (I think she was a big fan of poor old Eckhart Tolle). Tetsugen Roshi laughed and said, "If there's anyone here not living in the now, please stand up."

:buck:

I'm a fan of 'poor old Eckhart Tolle' as you put it - but I think Tetsugen Roshi hit the nail square bang on the head -nothing like the obvious for pointing out the obvious!
    Nice one!! :thumbsup: :lol:
  • edited March 2006
    I know you are, which is why I said that. :thumbsup:
    edited March 2006
    :tongue2:
  • edited March 2006
    HH - what exactly is your definition of a "hippy"?
    edited March 2006
    ....and if he comes back with - "that bone attached to your leggy" I'll thump him.... ;)
  • edited March 2006
    LOL, federica!!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    federica wrote:
    ....and if he comes back with - "that bone attached to your leggy" I'll thump him.... ;)

LOL, too, like Yogamama.
    Hilarious, Fede!!!

Brigid
  • edited March 2006
    Hippy.........Home Instruction for Parents of Preschool Youngsters. These guy's give the creeps too.

HH
  • edited March 2006
    :scratch: That doesn't make any sense to me.
  • edited March 2006
    I guess not ....

HH
  • edited March 2006
    When John Lydon said ‘Never trust a hippie’ all those years ago, he wasn’t wrong. Over thirty years ago and swept up on a tidal wave optimism (and very good acid), the original hippies believed they could change the world merely by wearing bandannas, placing daffodils down the end of gun barrels and listening to Fat Mattress albums. That they were wrong was a surprise to no one except perhaps dedicated Fat Mattress fans.

Among the leaders of this energetic movement were the charismatic Jerry Rubin, Abbie Hoffman and the recently departed Timothy Leary. Leary, a modern snake oil salesman if ever there was one, was so dedicated to the underground that he snitched on his mates to the FBI. Hoffman’s life ended, tragically, in suicide after a chain of events that began with prosecution for cocaine smuggling and included face-changing plastic surgery along the way.

Jerry Rubin, meanwhile, after leading the yippies (the acronym for the radical Youth International Party), inadvertently popularised the words yuppie and networking, as a result of his legendary – in a bad way – parties at Studio 54 in the late Seventies. "The music will be soft and classical, and serve only as a background to encourage lively conversation and business interactions. There will be no dancing music and no flashing lights," read the flyers, a far cry from the man who had showered the New York Stock Exchange in dollar bills in a spectacularly dim attempt to destabilise capitalism.

Thirteen years ago another bunch of well meaning hippies hove into view with ace new music and drugs. Similarly, they figured that if only everyone dropped Es, wore bandannas in their hair and listened to Phuture records, the world would be transformed and, before you knew it, ‘Promised Land’ would replace ‘God Save The Queen’ as our official national anthem. At one stage it got really quite intense. Danny Rampling once told me about an incident that happened during Shoom’s height: "I had one guy who opened a page in the Bible and my name was in the Bible in this particular paragraph. He said: ‘This is you! This is you! This is what’s happening now’. And that completely flipped me out." Well it would, wouldn’t it?

Naturally, the world didn’t change, though its axis wobbled for a demi-second before normal service was resumed. These days, those well meaning hippies largely run our industry and we have reason to be fearful of its future. Newsweek, that venerable organ of American business, recently ran a piece on the rise of dance music culture. Its general thrust was that dance music is good, not because – as with the best of all music – it can wipe away the drudge of a depressing day with one great song, but because there is a lot of money to be made. As the Clash once sang, "The new groups are not concerned; With what there is to be learned; They got Burton suits, ha, you think it’s funny; Turning rebellion into money." Had he been around, I’m sure that Jerry Rubin would have been proud of our new hippies but, sadly, he was killed crossing the road in Los Angeles in 1994.

HH
    edited March 2006
    Oddly enough, I find I agree with a lot of what Mr. Lydon says.

Maybe it's just the way he says it too.

-bf