Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

HH Dalai Lama - Revered by all Buddhist?

MakarovMakarov Explorer
edited March 2006 in Buddhism Basics
I just read the thread posted by the person who saw HH Dalai Lama. I have been curious for quite some time and this seems a great place to ask.

Is The Dalai Lama revered and recognized by all schools of Buddhism or is he more like the Pope, recognized by the adherants of HIS branch of the religion but viewed merely as a well-meaning figurehead by others?

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2006
    No.

Not for me.

I believe the Dalai Lama is a wonderful teacher and a very compassionate human being - but for me personally, I don't believe in the whole "reincarnation" of previous DL's.

So, ultimately, I view him as a great teacher.

-bf
  • edited March 2006
    I would say that the Dalai Lama is respected by all traditions but is not any sort of pope, being the leader of one school of Tibetan Buddhism, not of all Tibetan Buddhist schools, nor of any other traditions. There are also other figures, such as Aung San Suu Kyi in Myanmar who are seen by many Buddhists as Bodhisattvas.
  • edited March 2006
    I view him as a great teacher and inspiration. I love his books I have read so far.
  • edited March 2006
    Charlie Brown on the other hand is............
  • edited March 2006
    A cartoon character.