Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Crazy Wisdom Trailer: movie about Trungpa Rinpoche

JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
edited December 2011 in Arts & Writings
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/johanna-demetrakas/crazy-wisdom-chogyam-trungpa-rinpoche_b_1113803.html?ref=buddhism

Love him or hate him, but speaking for myself I am intrigued to see a movie.

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2011
    C_W posted the trailer a few weeks ago, scroll down toward the bottom of the Arts & Writings listings page. I was expecting you to post on that one. Maybe you were away for a few days. I thought it was interesting that one of his students said C.T. believed that the Dharma should be taught by abuse. I'm starting to wonder if that's a Tibetan cultural trait, but some students have said similar things happen with some Zen teachers. Still, I think that destroying-the-ego routine is way too harsh. It's also interesting that there's a little batch of TB-related movies coming up more or less at the same time. There's "My Reincarnation" about Namkhai Norbu and son, and there's "Tulku", but C.T.'s son, Gesar.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Are you saying you think Tibetans believe in abusing people to teach Dharma?? That sure doesn't describe my experience, either with Tibetan teachers or laypeople. If anything I've wished the teachers would be more directive, not less. But I've come to realize that Buddhism is never going to be as directive as my childhood religion...it's never going to do as much thinking or deciding for me but instead requires me to think and decide. That's not always what I want; often I wish a teacher would just tell me what to do.

As for ego-reducing, that's just a recipe for our own happiness; we don't have to reduce ego if we don't feel like it. If you have chosen to study or follow Buddhism, it contains a deeply-explored theory that reducing ego reduces your pain. You don't have to do it if you don't want to, but given its centrality to Buddhist theory, it would probably be akin to following Christianity while rejecting the concept of forgiveness as "too demeaning" or something, IMO.
  • Some teachers seem to assume that subduing or reducing the ego is to be done harshly. I've heard of that happening a fair amount in some of the Hindu movements, too. I've never heard of this happening in Ch'an, though.

Anyway, it looks like it's going to be a really interesting movie.
  • But what experiences have led you to feel that Tibetan teachers use abuse to teach Dharma??
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2011
    CT's students say he taught that way. Traleg Rinpoche was verbally abusive to a student when he visited my town, and the sangha took that to be a "teaching". They do call it "destroying" the ego. That's a term that indicates harshness. That term isn't used in any other tradition.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Well, it is definitely not a Tibetan Buddhism-wide trait; Geshe Lhundup Sopa, Yangsi Rinpoche, Tapke Rinpoche, Khensur Rinpoche, Ven. George Churinoff, Geshe Tenzin Dorje...all these teachers at my gompa over the years have been extremely respectful towards students, putting up with everything thrown at them (including some fairly rude questions from passers-through) with patience and a great sense of humor.
  • the idea that an enlightened being somehow can drink, smoke, sex and act in any way he pleases outwardly is, imo, a complete and utter BS excuse people make because they are attached to their teacher. the Buddha explained clearly how to judge a teacher and his attainment and nowhere did he say 'they can get full of anger and verbally abuse you'... its exactly the opposite, does their outward behavior reflect the overcoming of greed, hatred and ignorance? no? then unattained...

any 'teacher' who says he is 'breaking your ego' by verbally abusing you in a drunk tirade is a joke.

• Well, it is definitely not a Tibetan Buddhism-wide trait; Geshe Lhundup Sopa, Yangsi Rinpoche, Tapke Rinpoche, Khensur Rinpoche, Ven. George Churinoff, Geshe Tenzin Dorje...all these teachers at my gompa over the years have been extremely respectful towards students, putting up with everything thrown at them (including some fairly rude questions from passers-through) with patience and a great sense of humor.
    How utterly refreshing! What lineage/sect is that? You're very fortunate.

• possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    @ajnast4r :thumbup: :)
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Dakini, with all due respect, I strongly disagree with your implication that Tibetans as a culture abuse people when teaching dharma, and that someone who has a good experience in Tibetan Buddhism is "very fortunate" (the obvious subtext being that most students are not).

Please explain how your experience in Buddhism justifies implying that most Tibetan teachers are abusive. I've just listed six teachers--from only one gompa--who are not.

My gompa is Gelug.
  • Sorry, I was trying to interject a positive note. I seem to have failed. I'm always happy to hear about ethical teachers doing good work.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Sorry, I was trying to interject a positive note. I seem to have failed. I'm always happy to hear about ethical teachers doing good work.

Dakini, let's be open here. Saying that a gompa having good teachers is utterly refreshing news, implies that you believe it's utterly unusual for a gompa to have good teachers - which is not a positive note.

I'm not saying there have never been abusive teachers - I'm asking why you feel comfortable hinting that most are abusive.
  • Did I hint? I thought I was pretty open in earlier comments.
  • Sile, You should read their tantric sutras and you would see that Tibetan Buddhist lamas do not have the morals of rat. If you want to be abused by Tibetan Buddhists go to one of the Tibetan Buddhist forums and say something negative about Tibetan Buddhism and see how long you last. They do believe in Crazy Wisdom and that means Destroying the Ego, which is done very harshly.
  • Sorry, I was trying to interject a positive note. I seem to have failed. I'm always happy to hear about ethical teachers doing good work.
    Dakini, let's be open here. Saying that a gompa having good teachers is utterly refreshing news, implies that you believe it's utterly unusual for a gompa to have good teachers - which is not a positive note.

I'm not saying there have never been abusive teachers - I'm asking why you feel comfortable hinting that most are abusive.
    It is very common. It is in their teachings.
  • @Thao

I think you need to re-read the thread again. @Sile said he joins a Gelug gompa, which means he's practicing Tibetan Buddhism. I and a few others also practice Tibetan Buddhism. Not once have I or any one of the people I personally know have been abused by any lama or Rinpoche or Geshe, in both the traditional and modern sense of the word. We would feel taken aback by some harsh words, and some admonishments. But when we go back to our practice of listening, contemplating and practicing, most of us realize that almost always we were acting out of ignorance and could have made things worse. For that I'm always appreciative.

As to Trungpa Rinpoche's approach, I confidently believe that he is the exception to the norm. Not once in my lifetime have I encountered any lama who goes to the extremes.

But then again, he is different. How many lamas can beautifully transmit teachings to his students with such clarity and understanding even when drunk?

My point is: it's not logically sound to paint everyone with the same brush. If I said that all Americans are obese, low gullible, violent, loudmouth Christian zealots, you'd feel offended too.
  • edited December 2011
    Comment deleted. Duplicate post.
  • But then again, he is different. How many lamas can beautifully transmit teachings to his students with such clarity and understanding even when drunk?
    Do you know for a fact this is true, and not part of a mythology? I've seen posts on this and other forums by people who attended one or more of his drunken "lectures", and they say he was speaking gibberish.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2011
    @Dakini, it depends whether anger does or does not reduce ego. If anger opens a person's mind then it is a good thing.

The following is all I am going to say so I hope it is read by someone. It really depends on what one thinks is possible:

The Meaning of Transformation

By cutting through attachment to hatred, it is transformed, and there is the recognition--and release--of the wisdom that exists within it. Now, we might assume that those who have accomplished this energy of clarity will always appear to be happy, energetic individuals. But it doesn't necessarily work like that. They may even seem to be rather angry people. We have only to look at the life of Marpa, and there are many other examples.

Trungpa Rinpoche said that Vimalamitra would get very angry with people who didn't understand the Dharma. If that were just ordinary rage, caused by their failure to understand, it would be pretty useless. But Vimalamitra's anger affected people he encountered in a positive way, and he was able to cut through some of their obstructions, turning their minds more deeply towards the Dharma. Anger of this kind is always oriented towards overcoming obstacles--either further obstacles within oneself or those that exist within others. It's very different from ordinary anger.

While it is good to talk about the possibility of transforming anger, we need to be very careful not to get carried away by it. Obviously there is always the danger that someone attempts this and ends up getting angry in an ordinary way. Furthermore, it's no good thinking your anger is special because you are Dharma practitioner and can therefore go around putting other people right--although it can be interesting when two people who think like this meet one another.

Nevertheless, it is indeed possibe to transform anger so that it helps others. How do we recognize an individual who can do this? We are unlikely to meet someone who can do this at the highest level. It is more common to find an individual where this ability comes and goes, but even that is rather unusual. Like everything in Dharma training, we need to use our own intuition, our feeling for the person and the effect he has on us, to determine whether the anger is useful or not.

When anger is genuinely transformed, it energizes everything you do. If you are talking with a really irritating person, for example, you might find the situation amusing rather than annoying. Or, when a difficult situation is developing, you may be able to say something to resolve it. Your response comes from a kind of clarity that sees the significance of things. By cutting through the double negativity, the energy of anger is transformed into a different way of experiencing the world.

In order to develop understanding, we need clear healedness, emotional clarity, and consequently some ordinary sense of control. But the Buddhadharma is not some ancient system of psychotherapy; it is concerned with something totally different. It is more concerned with what emotions are, in and of themselves, and not with anger management.

There is a special quality of wisdom in the heart of our anger and other emotions, which needs to be met face to face. And we need to discover for ourselves just why we don't want to do that.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2011
    An example from my life is a chemistry test that I got a lower score than I expected. I became angry and studied all week for the final exam and aced it. Thus I used the energy of my anger to work harder and prioritize my efforts.

The same thing has happened when I realize I am devoting too much time to gaming and the internet and I get angry and practice meditation.

Its a kind of anger that is not really anger in that it is destructive of an obstacle and energizing towards another constructive effort which could be the Dharma.

Another example is when my brother got angry with me and we had an angry discussion. I transformed it my not making it about me (ego) and making the anger an energy of discovery rather than winning or losing. As a result we destroyed some obstacles in our relationship. We have been on better rather than worse terms since that angry exchange.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2011
    A couple of other things I will add. At least in the trailer the people interviewed are not recalling Trungpa's behaviour as abuse. I don't see them viewing him in a negative light.

My teacher says that in her experience Trungpa was quite lucid while drinking. Now if he was speaking gibberish during his talks I would presume there is some evidence of a youtube video? But yet there isn't. Quite the opposite, I find his talks on youtube quite good Dharma teachings.
  • Good posts, Jeffers. I agree that anger can be constructive. In fact, there's a discussion about this going on at Zenforum right now, and I must say, your view is refreshing. In the beginning of a multi-page discussion, someone posted a video of a lama saying that "skillful" and compassionate anger is "divine anger", and another member posted a very wise opinion in the same vein, but those comments were ignored, and the rest of the posts were kind of knee-jerk reactions about anger being by nature bad. I think this evidences strong cultural tendencies to view anger negatively, both in the West and in Buddhism, but I think anger can be constructive, as you, yourself, experienced. Anger's not necessarily hatred-based, or a phenomenon that has an out-of-control quality about it. Your teacher has some true wisdom. Good to see you joining the discussion. :)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Thnanks ;) compassionate_warrior

Anger + ego is the big disaster at that point you lash out and your mind does not think as clearly. Transformed anger on the other hand is when you see clearly something you don't want. For example some problem in a relationship. You can transform this by phrasing it as a positive. For example "i want more space" or "i want more intimacy". From that standpoint of looking at your needs the anger is transformed from a lashing out to a positive. And as you become clear on the wisdom within the anger the resources in your own being are called forward to deal with the situation.

So I think its true 1) anger is always bad 2) anger is sometimes good.

The reason those contradictory statements are both true is because we are using words to point to the world of practice. Sometimes 'anger' means one thing and sometimes another. Such is the nature of a relative world in which things are meaningful in a context rather than as absolute truths.

note: in the previous post with the underlines and so forth 'double negativity' is when you respond to the negativity with more negativity towards the anger itself.
  • I know we're speaking here mostly about our own anger, but here's something else to throw in the stew (so to speak):

"The conclusion is that if no one has anger towards us, we can never develop patience. If everybody loves us then we can never generate the precious quality of patience, the path of patience. So therefore there is an incredible need in our life for someone to have anger towards us. It is so precious, so important that someone has anger towards us. It's not precious for that person, but for us it's very precious. For that person it's torturous, it's like living in the lower realms. But for us, that person having anger towards us is so precious. We have a great need for this, a great need." (Lama Zopa Rinpoche, Vajrapani Institute, Boulder Creek, CA)
  • @Jeffrey I don't know if you saw this from my earlier OP with the trailer, but there's another preview segment at:

• thanks
  • Amazing man. I've been very much appreciating his teachings as interpreted by Pema Chödrön (and appreciating her own insight as well).
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Many teachers supported Trungpa Rinpoche and often said to his students dont copy his actions unless you can replicate his mind. There is a big problem with that a teacher introducing Buddhism to the west should always have morale conduct at the forefront of their behaviour. Any teacher lacking proper morale discipline in accordence with Buddha's teachings should be avoided.
  • I guess it depends on what's more important, the message, or the messenger. That answer will be different for different people.

There is no teacher we will ever have, of any subject, that isn't a flawed human being.
  • Do you know for a fact this is true, and not part of a mythology? I've seen posts on this and other forums by people who attended one or more of his drunken "lectures", and they say he was speaking gibberish.

Someone I know was taught by Trungpa Rinpoche, and in turn is helping a Lama I go to with his work. He was the one who told me about his experiences with Trungpa Rinpoche. I do not have any reason to distrust him.