Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Gold Medal for HHDL?

edited March 2006 in Buddhism Today
US House of Representatives lawmakers have begun a campaign to award
the Dalai Lama, Tibet's exiled spiritual leader, the Congressional Gold
Medal, one of the legislature's highest honors.

Here is a link to the article -
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060307/pl_afp/ustibetpoliticschina_060307181232

Write your Congressman to encourage support. If HHDL cannot get a free Tibet in his lifetime, at least he should get more recognition for his noble life.

Comments

• edited March 2006
    It will mean nothing to the Dalai Lama. Perhaps the congressmen and women should concentrate instead on doing something about China's treatment of the Tibetans and Buddhists in general.
  • edited March 2006
    It will mean nothing to the Dalai Lama. Perhaps the congressmen and women should concentrate instead on doing something about China's treatment of the Tibetans and Buddhists in general.

*nods* :rockon:
  • edited March 2006

I second that!!! :thumbsup:
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I thought he took first in the "pipe" at Torino.

Air Lama.

-bf
  • edited March 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    I thought he took first in the "pipe" at Torino.

Air Lama.

-bf
    :rolleyesc :crazy: :lol:
    edited March 2006
    I should have said "High Jump" that would have been better :)

-bf
  • edited March 2006

Tell us something we do not know, zenmonk.

No real altruist, not to speak of a real bodhisattava, will care about awards, recognition or such. But it is admirable that such people can be admired and recognized by those of us who are self-involved. To celebrate and put forward great people as exemplars is worthy of support. And for a bevy of reps of the US people to do so; is good.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I agree, Will.

Brigid
  • edited March 2006
    Me well, I think is a pile of shite. Why are they not giving a medal to the Royal Nepalese Goverment as they are successfully gunning down innocent farmer with weapon's supplied from Uncle Sam.

HH
    edited March 2006
    I don't think they give out gold medals for that.

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I think the Republicans in Congress are running so scared because of the fool they have in the White House that they are willing to do almost anything to distance themselves from him and make themselves look good. I don't think this has anything at all to do with the Dalai Lama.

Palzang
  • edited March 2006
    Well put!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited March 2006
    It is difficult not to be somewhat cynical about the proposal. When Tenzin Gyatso visited Washington, President Clinton did not even have the courtesy (or the guts?) to meet him officially. A 'chance' meeting had to be arranged.

The great, militaristic nations would love to tame him but I doubt if he is tameable. A new gold medal would get lost among all the certificates, awards, plaques, etc. that hang on the walls of the waiting-room at his bungalow. But, sitting there, waiting to meet him, they meant not a jot: my 10 year-old, crossed his legs, straightened his back and sat until we were called. Even the Nobel Prize is no distraction.
  • edited March 2006
    Good point, Palzang! I had not thought about it that way.
    edited March 2006
    Palzang.... for you...

Two ladies were out driving in the Virginia countryside fifty miles from Washington D.C. One of them pointed out two naked men in a field masturbating each other. "Look" she said, "two Democrats jerking each other off."
    "How do you know they're Democrats? Her friend asked.
    "If they were Republicans, they'd be f***ing a crowd of poor people.

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Ain't it the truff!

Palzang
  • edited March 2006
    Palzang wrote:
    I think the Republicans in Congress are running so scared because of the fool they have in the White House that they are willing to do almost anything to distance themselves from him and make themselves look good. I don't think this has anything at all to do with the Dalai Lama.

Palzang

The prime mover is Tom Lantos, a Democrat, and long-time supporter of the Tibetan people.