Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Scientific support for karma?

edited December 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Does anybody have or is aware of scientific findings that support the Buddhist notion of karma? I haven't had a chance to do much research on it but I would like to know if it is actually grounded in a scientific understanding.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Kamma means you don't get away with anything. And it all counts."

Support in what way?
    What kind of proof are you looking for?
    "Scientific understanding"...?
    What makes you think it's a scientific equation you can put down on a chalkboard?
    The fact that the Buddha spoke about it extensively, and that it has been adhered to and lived by, by countless ordained monks, nuns, lamas and gurus isn't enough for you to test it for yourself?
    It's not a formula....it's a law of life: what ever you think, say or do intentionally, will carry a consequence.
    what greater understanding would you require?
  • federica, have compasion for all beings.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    Does anybody have or is aware of scientific findings that support the Buddhist notion of karma? I haven't had a chance to do much research on it but I would like to know if it is actually grounded in a scientific understanding.
    There is none.
  • lufool, there are themes in federica words which speak truth.

karma is a law of life. equations and such do not calculate laws of life they only prove that we exist. living to the laws of life help to free your mind and simplify your path to a better place. -xentistbuddha-
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    federica, have compasion for all beings.
    Compassion isn't always a soft, pink and fluffy, 'soft-place-to-fall attitude.
    sometimes, the best form of compassion is a freezing cold bucket of 'wake up' water.....

Not saying the above fits that bill, but I don't see that gentleness equates with truth.

Sometimes, it's the exact opposite....

• this is not a matter if immaterial subjects. it is seeing the beauty in everything. from the wisest to the least.

federica, your mind may be open. but you may still be conquering yourself.

what you say holds many truths;
    but they are not always clear.
    your mind is most difficult to conquer than another,
    but still we should not neglect this.
    it is being equal and balanced that helps you become the path.
    teaching this can only bring prosperity to a life.
    When I figure out exactly what you're getting at, I'll get back to you..... :crazy:
  • Does anybody have or is aware of scientific findings that support the Buddhist notion of karma? I haven't had a chance to do much research on it but I would like to know if it is actually grounded in a scientific understanding.
    Science is merely a method of describing and conceptualizing the truth/reality of the universe so that it might fit the confines of one's reasoning, understanding, and experience of life.

Does our current scientific understanding of the world support the Buddhist concept of karma?

I think the very best that science has come up with so far that describes and conceptualizes the Buddhist concept of karma in simple, observable, demonstrable terms is Newton's 3rd law of motion:
    "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction."
    To wit:
    A human being is basically energy-in-motion.
    A human being expresses that energy-in-motion in a certain manner and direction in the universe.
    A human being will eventually inevitably receive that same energy-in-motion returning back to him/her.

One may easily experiment with and demonstrate this universal truth, simply try it yourself. Please bear in mind that there is always some lag time involved as energy travels through time and space.
    Does it mean that space-time is circular? Quite possibly.

My clock is round, so I think that's a yes.
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Karma is as I understand it intentfull action mental or physical.

Newtons third law applies to all forces. Not only those intentional.

In a finite circular universe with a single line it is as you say easy to show that there is karma.

In a normal world like ours there is no to me known way to show that the energy caused by one intentional action is the one returning to the agent. And I do not think it has to be either.

Karma laws are not the same laws that govern energy or force.

I do not think the Karma laws stand or fall on the concept of a circular space-time.

/Victor

• I would say that there is no scientific evidence to support karma yet, however, I am quite positive that any scientific experiment that can be done now or at any point in time in the future, will have equal results in supporting the theory of karma.
  • B5CB5C Veteran

In a finite circular universe with a single line it is as you say easy to show that there is karma.

In a normal world like ours there is no to me known way to show that the energy caused by one intentional action is the one returning to the agent. And I do not think it has to be either.

Karma laws are not the same laws that govern energy or force.

I do not think the Karma laws stand or fall on the concept of a circular space-time.

/Victor

Where is your scientific evidence that Newton's laws also applies to Karma?
    edited December 2011
    I am not so sure that there is ever going to be any scientific proof of karma. See below sutta:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.077.than.html

@B5C: I do not know what you mean by "scientific" or "proof" or "Newtons laws". That is why i avoided the terms. But can give you a heuristic argument in a finite bent universe where a straght line is a circle. That is if one was to travel in a straight line in that universe one would arrive at the point where one left given sufficient time.

Imagine that the world consists of a mathamatical line is such a univere where every point along it has mass. Lets say that one point on that line has will to push one of its neighbours away without affecting any other point.

Given sufficient time that impulse will travese that universe and hit the first point in the back. pushing it in the same direction as it pushed its neighbour.

Karma!

/Victor
  • When I figure out exactly what you're getting at, I'll get back to you..... :crazy:
    Basically saying that you should wipe your feet before entering so as not to soil your lovely white carpet. :)
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Can Karma be determined a fact by following the Scientific method? No, then Karma is not a fact.

BTW you didn't avoid "Newton's laws." You quoted: "Newtons third law applies to all forces. Not only those intentional."

Newton's third law: "The mutual forces of action and reaction between two bodies are equal, opposite and collinear."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_laws_of_motion

Newton's laws are not evidence supporting Karma. Newton's laws describe how motion works.

This is like some Christian apologetics claiming that thermodynamics supports their god or string theory's ideas on other dimensions that god and heaven is real because god and heaven are different dimensions.

• science is pro action and reaction.
    And thats as far as you can go..
    Can Karma be determined a fact by following the Scientific method? No, then Karma is not a fact.
    What exactly is the scientific method? What is a fact? And what has facts got to do with the scientific method? Explain please.

The Sun rises.
    I think that was a fact far before there was any scientific method.
    The earth does not revolve aroung its own axis
    That was a fact proven by a scientific method (experiment dropping a ball from a high tower) by the old Greeks. Still today we know otherwise...

I think you have to high esteem for a method whose limits you do not entirely grasp.

BTW you didn't avoid "Newton's laws." You quoted: "Newtons third law applies to all forces. Not only those intentional."
    I said:

You asked:

can you point out the place I say I have scientific evidance that Newtons laws applies to karma?

Newton's laws are not evidence supporting Karma. Newton's laws describe how motion works.
    So then we agree. Great!

/Victor

• B5CB5C Veteran
    edited December 2011

What exactly is the scientific method? What is a fact? And what has facts got to do with the scientific method? Explain please.

The Sun rises.
    I think that was a fact far before there was any scientific method.,
    Yet for thousands of years many people didn't now how that happens. A lot them made up mythologies to explain what caused the sun to rise and fall each day. That ended when Galileo proved Copernicus heliocentric theory.

That was a fact proven by a scientific method (experiment dropping a ball from a high tower) by the old Greeks. Still today we know otherwise...
    Um... the earth DOES revolve it's own axis.

I said:

You asked:

can you point out the place I say I have scientific evidance that Newtons laws applies to karma?
    How sure are you that we live in a finite circular universe?
    When I figure out exactly what you're getting at, I'll get back to you..... :crazy:
    Basically saying that you should wipe your feet before entering so as not to soil your lovely white carpet. :)
    well, as he appears to have left the building, the point is academic.

The Sun rises.
    I think that was a fact far before there was any scientific method.,
    Yet for thousands of years many people didn't now how that happens. A lot them made up mythologies to explain what caused the sun to rise and fall each day. That ended when Galileo proved Copernicus heliocentric theory.

Um... the earth DOES revolve it's own axis.
    The point is that what people KNOW to be a fact varries greatly form century to century and even from minute to minute.

Until a couple of months ago cold fusion was laughed at. Two minutes before you read the article from Cern upending the absolute speed of light. For you the absolute limit of the speed of light was a fact! and two minutes later it was not any more.

The experiment that the Greeks performed was flawed because of their understanding of the physical laws were flawed.

Just like you can rest assured that our understanding of the physical laws are flawed and will be set straight next century. Even now the ultimate limit on speed as the speed of light is being contended!

As buddhism explains so clearly. Thruth and value are only constructs of the human brain.

I said:

You asked:

How sure are you that we live in a finite circular universe?

Not at all. That was my argument:

I said:

See we agree.

/Victor
  • B5CB5C Veteran

The point is that what people KNOW to be a fact varries greatly form century to century and even from minute to minute.

Until a couple of months ago cold fusion was laughed at. Two minutes before you read the article from Cern upending the absolute speed of light. For you the absolute limit of the speed of light was a fact! and two minutes later it was not any more.

The experiment that the Greeks performed was flawed because of their understanding of the physical laws were flawed.

Just like you can rest assured that our understanding of the physical laws are flawed and will be set straight next century. Even now the ultimate limit on speed as the speed of light is being contended!

As buddhism explains so clearly. Thruth and value are only constructs of the human brain.

You sound like a Christian apologist I know.

Yes, science changes. Science changes only when the facts are present. Until some scientific evidence shows me with actual PROOF that Karma is real. Then I will believe you, but till then. It's all bullshit.

For you:

• Kamma means you don't get away with anything. And it all counts."

Support in what way?
    What makes you think it's a scientific equation you can put down on a chalkboard?
    The fact that the Buddha spoke about it extensively, and that it has been adhered to and lived by, by countless ordained monks, nuns, lamas and gurus isn't enough for you to test it for yourself?
    It's not a formula....it's a law of life: what ever you think, say or do intentionally, will carry a consequence.
    Wow! Great moderation.

You sound like a Christian apologist I know.
    Might be at that but contrary to them I am right ... and good looking besides.

Yes, science changes. Science changes only when the facts are present. Until some scientific evidence shows me with actual PROOF that Karma is real. Then I will believe you, but till then. It's all bullshit.
    There is no such thing as a fact outside the mind. No such thing as "proof" or "science" either.

You should read Bertrand Russle. (I think his name is)

And no a thing is not bullshit until it is scientifically proven. On the contrary as I said. Penicillin did work before it was scientifically proven. The sun did rise even before it was proven how it did it. And the speed of light was not the ulitimate speed even though science did prove it to be for a long time.

Actually the Buddhist way of critically examining a thing before accepting it as a fact is much more strict and usefull than the method used by science.

/Victor

edited December 2011
    A good link:
    http://www.skepdic.com/karma.html
    http://skepticsplay.blogspot.com/2009/07/is-karma-true.html

These links does not discuss Buddhist Karma concept at a glance...

So not actually meaningful in this thread? Or what was your point?
    Kamma means you don't get away with anything. And it all counts."

Support in what way?
    Wow! Great moderation.
    Pardon? :scratch:

what's that supposed to mean?

• driedleafdriedleaf Veteran
    edited December 2011
    I do believe that there is something that makes us think twice before doing something, and that there is something that makes reconsider our impulses. It must be that this "something" does exist, and is definitely a higher truth to be realized.
  • auraaura Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Newton's third law applies to motion.
    What is anyone's action, mental or physical, other than motion in the universe?
    What is anyone's thought or intention, other than motion in the universe?
    What is a human being, other than motion in the universe?
    I would like to know if it is actually grounded in a scientific understanding.
    Science is not supposed to be a religion in which one simply believes (or does not believe) dogma proclaimed by others, no matter their "credentials."
    Science is supposed to be a roll-up-one's-sleeves-and-try-it-out-oneself-and- observe-the-results experimental experience.
    Ergo, if one seeks scientific support for the Buddhist notion of karma, one must test the idea for oneself and see what results one gets.
    My own personal experience and experimentation has yielded results that correlate very well with Newton's third law.
  • Karma is an apparent truth crafted to liberate one from the eternalist or nihilist view.

But all views are wrong when grasped to, and that is also true of karma. Imagine somebody being so anal about being 'good' that they have emotional problems or some kind of neurosis.
  • What is karma?
    edited December 2011

Ergo, if one seeks scientific support for the Buddhist notion of karma, one must test the idea for oneself and see what results one gets.
    My own personal experience and experimentation has yielded results that correlate very well with Newton's third law.

But the method you are describing is the Buddhist method that I like better than the scientific one. To make it a scientific method we need to try it "en masse". In a controlled environment with a separate reference group. at least.

For now I am all ears! Could you describe your experiments please? I am willing to try them out too.

I believe many on this forum would like to as well...? Then maybe we could get some kind of signficance into play.

/Victor

What is karma?
    i gave you an explanation in your other thread.
    hope it helps! :D

• To make it a scientific method we need to try it "en masse". In a controlled environment with a separate reference group. at least.
    Just what do you suppose Buddhism is?

To make it a scientific method we need to try it "en masse". In a controlled environment with a separate reference group. at least.
    Just what do you suppose Buddhism is?

You dont know?

/Victor