Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

how does your living space,

AMHAMH
edited December 2011 in General Banter
reflect your buddhism? I was thinking as I have a week off (has not happened in over 5 years unless a brief vacation) and I am doing a major deep cleaning/purge about how I want my space to be very clean and uncluttered. Okay NOT there yet, although my son's room is looking pristine. I am ready to pack all the knick knacks and even most of the books just to clear it all out. I have by American standards a pretty small and older house I rent, for the city it is pretty good but I lived in the 'burbs for so long that by those standards it is tiny. I like it much better honestly, just trying to adjust again.

For background, I moved here about 1 1/2 years ago from a large suburban house that I lost in foreclosure (tried to short sale) and downsized over 50% of everything I owned. Like 4 couches down to 1. So it took awhile to be ready for another huge purge, but I can't figure out why I have much of this stuff.

Okay rambling after day 2 of major work.

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Set up some cardboard boxes that will be your Goodwill donation boxes. Anything you no longer need, or can't figure out why you still have, goes in the Goodwill boxes. Or the trash.

Much easier said than done. It could require two passes. The 2nd pass is for the stuff you don't need but are attached to for whatever reason.

Don't forget to enjoy some of this time off! Don't fill it all up with chores, give yourself time to veg, or to enjoy a nice, long, relaxing soak in the tub, to take walks, get a massage, listen to music, whatever relaxes you and gives you enjoyment. Don't be a workaholic on the only week off you've had in over 5 years. ;)
  • who meeee? workaholic? I am going to look at a movie for tomorrow night, we may have my meditation group this week since we had a pretty decent storm when our last meeting was scheduled, and maybe even get to the rec center.

I am hyper and bummed because my 'undefined relationship' is being a good son in Texas helping his mother build a new shed. So usually I would do more fun things. Alas, it is not so. I am trying not to be attached to how much I want him to take me to dinner tonight,

We gave sooo much to goodwill last purge. It was crazy, I felt good about it and threw away anything that was really trash, but still. I can't really think of things I regretted giving away. I got TV shows on DVD for Christmas so after dinner is ready I will chill with that.
  • pssst, Heerdt--take yourself out to dinner tonight! What a concept!

That's probably a good sign, that he's into helping his mom. It means he's thoughtful of women.
  • Ahh he is a very good person. It has been a year and a half, we have had some glitches but what the heck. He does have an issue with when 2 women want something from him and he can't negotiate that very well, but I can see that now so he doesn't end up in a no win. It is likely that he can't get back for New Year's Eve which had me sad, but I also don't want him stressed about it.

So I let the kids use the car to go help their sister. She is cleaning impaired so they go over and clean and hang out. Kinda funny when a 14 yo boy tells his 21 yo sister that her apartment is terrible and he is coming to clean.

So back on topic, I want to have this pristine kinda Zen place but even less cluttered than the average home it is still a lot more stuff than anywhere near that monastic clean. That is ok, so much of art on the walls are made by my kids. Ya know others have family photos and I have my kids' photo shoots.

• So I let the kids use the car to go help their sister. She is cleaning impaired so they go over and clean and hang out. Kinda funny when a 14 yo boy tells his 21 yo sister that her apartment is terrible and he is coming to clean.
    I need your kids. They could start a cleaning service and earn some spending money.
  • @Aheerdt I hope your cleaning was a success! Thanks for starting this thread, by the way; it was the kick in the pants I needed. :D
  • Thanks Aheerdt; I just had a clean out of my office, inspired by your post; though it still looks cluttered.

I'm a glutton for holding onto the past, so I've photos everywhere, and old military memorabilia. I'd hate to chuck this stuff out in case I regret it when I'm older.

How ruthless should we be?
  • @Tosh I'm in the process of reno/moving, and there's a lot of "stuff" in boxes. My rule is if I haven't gone looking for it in the 2 years I've been here, I don't need it. (Photos excluded, of course.)

Do you have a "thing" you like to keep? A type of collection? That can be hard to deal with. For example, I'm a total book-hoarder!
  • I'm a total book-hoarder!
    OMG!! BOOKS!! The next time I move, I HAVE to pare down the library, somehow. It's so much to move, all those heavy book boxes, it's impractical. But what if someday you need some of the ones you give away? What if you need to do some research on a topic, and you've given those books away? There's something satisfying about having a solid library, anyway. A quiet refuge. Let's face it, we're hopelessly attached, aren't we, Raven? :(
  • I'm a total book-hoarder!
    OMG!! BOOKS!! The next time I move, I HAVE to pare down the library, somehow. It's so much to move, all those heavy book boxes, it's impractical. But what if someday you need some of the ones you give away? What if you need to do some research on a topic, and you've given those books away? There's something satisfying about having a solid library, anyway. A quiet refuge. Let's face it, we're hopelessly attached, aren't we, Raven? :(
    Oh my friend, book-hoarding is the best kind of attachment! :p Ok ok, in all seriousness, you're right - it's attachment, and when it takes over your life, it's still not good. When I ran out of space for my books, I got rid of a few (mainly old textbooks unrelated to my field) and then bought another bookshelf. Another one! That makes 4 Billy bookshelves, full of books. :screwy: For me, books are like old friends; I'll re-read the same thing a hundred times, so picking up a book is like visiting an old friend. Throwing away friends is hard!

What kind of books do you like to keep?
  • Well, it could be worse. You could collect Hummel figurines or doilies, or something completely without spiritually or intellectually-redeeming value.

Well, I went through a serious Mayan phase for over a decade. Archaeology and anthropology in general, cultures, human evolution. Buddhism, of course. I have a small NDE book collection. I've never been able to relate to fiction. I like autobiographies of political figures, because you learn a lot about how politics works, and about behind-the-scenes negotiating that doesn't get reported in the papers. Carter is good on that score, for example.
  • Hahaha no, no doily collections over here!

Wow, it sounds like you enjoy reading some really interesting topics! I think, if you use them as part of your life, it's not so much "hoarding" as over-collecting. I think the real hoarding comes in when you can't find what you have, or what you have is destroyed because you don't look after it.

As I type this, actually, I'm watching Hoarders on tv. I wonder if some of these people would benefit from Buddhism, given the extreme levels of attachment?
  • I wonder if hoarding is due to some kind of imbalance in the brain? I mean the extreme kind. I wonder if it's a type of obsessive-compulsive disorder. That makes sense.
  • I think hoarding is some form of OCD or brain chemistry deal. I am more the anti hoarder, my dad is more extreme. I have also known people who grew up very poor and they cannot keep reasonable amounts of stuff.

I got more done, I have had issues answering the phone and opening mail since I started my short sale 2 years ago. Part of trying to deal with that has been also discovering the bi-polar brain and my hypomanic phases. I am adjusting, I lived life like that and you can get so much done! But I wasn't doing what needed to be done. So I face my really trashed credit report, opened all the envelopes finally, and found most bills were really small but some are a problem since I put them off for so long. I am just effortlessly practicing self compassion for once. I think I can clear the whole pile with the money I have or within the next month. That is AMAZING, low wage, single mom, added expense of kids' insurance, I think that covers it. So I had to put aside the physical decluttering and clean up the paperwork/financial mess which is very good.

• Do you have a "thing" you like to keep? A type of collection? That can be hard to deal with. For example, I'm a total book-hoarder!
    Yep; total book hoarder here too! And tools; I've so many I can't find them, and when I need to do a job I end up buying more (that I've already got somewhere) because I can't find them; mostly little stuff like saws, hammers, and drill bits.

I've got a free day; I'll have another clear out and drop my books off at the charity shop.

I think I'll have to do this 'little by little'; but I can really see the value of having less stuff; especially the stuff I don't use. And there could be some merit in letting others have it.

• ToshTosh Veteran
    edited December 2011
    I took about 20 kilos (over 40 pounds for you Americans)of books to the British Heart Foundation charity shop today. I've got quite a few more trips to go I think.
  • Yeah! I like weighing things because it makes me feel more accomplished. I am sure that many people will enjoy the books.