Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Republicans Move To Disenfranchise College Students

edited December 2011 in General Banter
From today's NY Times OP-Ed page: KEEPING STUDENTS FROM THE POLLS [note: this applies only to those studying away from their home state]

"Next fall, thousands of students on college campuses will attempt to register or vote and will be turned away. Sorry, they will hear, you have an out-of-state driver's license. Sorry, your college ID is not valid here. Sorry, we found out that you paid out-of-state tuition, so even though you do have a state driver's license, you still can't vote.

7 States have already passed strict laws requiring a government-issued ID (like a driver's license or passport) to vote, which many students don't have, and 27 others are considering such measures. ... It's all part of a widespread Republican effort to restrict the voting rights of demographic groups that tend to vote Democratic. Blacks, Hispanics, the poor and the young, who are more likely to support President Obama, are disproportionately represented in the 21 million people without government IDs. On Friday, the Justice Department blocked the new voter ID law in South Carolina.

Republicans usually don't want to acknowledge that their purpose is to turn away voters, especially when race is involved, so they invented an explanation, claiming that stricter ID laws are necessary to prevent voter fraud. In fact, there is almost no voter fraud in America to prevent.

William O'Brian, speaker of the New Hampshire State House, told a Tea Party group earlier this year that students are "foolish" and tend to "vote their feelings" because they lack life experience. Voting as a liberal, he said, that's what kids do. And that's why, he said, he supported measures to prohibit students from voting from their college addresses and to end same-day registration."

Students, it looks like you'll have to request absentee ballots from your home state in order to be able to vote in the 2012 election. Be herewith forewarned.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/27/opinion/keeping-college-students-from-the-polls.html

Comments

• How does this target Blacks, Hispanics, poor and young? Are white kids not attending school out of state?

I'm actually surprised that out of state students were not already voting absentee... From my military days, it was the norm to vote absentee because of having to move around.
  • edited December 2011
    Studies prior to the last election showed that Blacks have a higher proportion of people without driver's licenses, and few of them have passports. I don't know about Hispanics. White kids do attend school out of state, that's what the article means by targeting "the young".
  • Ah I see, not having a state ID is the issue. I kind of see though that this may help against voter fraud which has been accused from both parties. Requesting an absentee ballet is not hard to do... thousands of military, young and old, all races, do it each election.
  • Right. They just need to know well in advance that they'll be turned away from polling places, and that they need to request absentee ballots from their home states. If it's not publicized, they won't know. Good for the NY Times for running an article on it.

AFAIK, there hasn't been much voter fraud. What there has been is all manner of obstructionism like this, on the part of the Republicans the last 3 presidential elections (remember Florida, in the first GW Bush election?) Polling stations that didn't have enough booths, so people had to wait in line for hours, turning away Blacks on various pretexts, voting machines that failed, many different scandals. A good book to read on this is "The Best Democracy Money Can Buy", by journalist Greg Palast.
  • Telly03Telly03 Veteran
    edited December 2011
    They really turned people away because they were black? I didn't hear about that.

Was there proof that machines did not really fail, or is that a political spin?

Lets not forget the 10 years of ACORN fraud. ACORN's unofficial motto "vote early, vote often"

http://rottenacorn.com/activityMap.html

And the Obama Democratic Primaries fraud recently discovered, forcing the Indiana Democratic Leader to resign.

http://www.westernfreepress.com/2011/12/13/democratic-party-head-resigns-during-vote-fraud-investigation/

http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/25349
  • Right, the ACORN scandal, I'd forgotten about that.

There was a lawsuit in NM because the machines in rural Hispanic communities and Native American communities didn't register the votes for president. Now the state is required to provide paper ballots for every election.

They don't turn people away for being Black, exactly. They have various mechanisms that they apply selectively. Like demanding ID or telling people their ID isn't acceptable, or checking their names on a list of prisoners or felons, and if the voter happens to have the same name as someone who has lost the right to vote, they're turned away. Opening the polling stations late, after people have gone to work, or closing them early, with dozens of people still waiting to vote. Things like this didn't happen in affluent neighborhoods, mainly in poor communities. I don't remember all the different tricks now. Changing the hours of operation of polling places at the last minute, that happened in Ohio, I think. Congress investigated voting procedures nationwide after the 2nd GW Bush election, and found rampant illegalities in key states. There was a website for a couple of years that posted the Congressional record as the investigations were taking place.
  • Did anyone get charged for any of the illegalities that you are mentioning? If not, why not?
  • edited December 2011
    Here's an article that summarizes the controversies that generated the NM lawsuit. Also, a website that posts all the voting irregularities that occurred during the 2004 elections, at least, those that were investigated. Index by state on right side of page.

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0511/S00067.htm
    http://votetrustusa.org

Good question. Congress didn't pursue any lawsuits. It had its hands full with their regular business, in addition to these investigations. Plus there was voter pressure to impeach Bush, so Congress was debating whether to pursue impeachment, which would have been a tremendous distraction from their usual business. Considering that there were irregularities in every state, judging by the 2nd website, taking legal action would have been too gargantuan a task. The more important thing would be to pass legislation regulating elections more closely.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    'Current Events' is for the discussion of newsworthy items concerning Buddhist matters. see Lincoln.
    Moved to General Banter.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2011
    I didn't know Current Events was only for Buddhism-related news. Maybe the category should say: "Current Events in Buddhism"? Just a thought.
    Did anyone get charged for any of the illegalities that you are mentioning? If not, why not?
    Congress didn't pursue any lawsuits.
    It's not Congress' job to pursue lawsuits. There must have been lawsuits brought by voters in other states besides NM. The result of a lot of fuss that was raised about faulty voting machines (which somehow magically favored the Republicans) was that Congress allocated funds for the states to buy new voting machines that were supposed to be more accurate. But people still don't have faith in the machines.

Jimmy Carter said in a radio interview that elections he's been an official observer to in 3rd World countries (he specified Guatemala) have been much more accurate and fair than what we've been experiencing in the US, which is a pretty sad statement. Congress allocated funds to the states for new machines, but that whole effort got delayed while people wrangled over which machines to get, and it was a bit of a boondoggle. I live in NM, which is no longer allowed to use voting machines. 2 years after the Bush/Kerry elections, there were congressional elections. Those, too, were a mess, because many polling stations ran out of paper ballots, and thousands of voters were turned away. The voter turnout was severely underestimated by state election officials.

About ordering absentee ballots, the military, etc., for the Bush-Kerry election I and many others in NM ordered absentee ballots to avoid using voting machines. Some people never received their ballots. I went to Kerry headquarters to ask why my ballot hadn't arrived yet, and it was a madhouse there. Voters were verging on hysteria, because they hadn't received their ballots, and they thought it was due to another attempt by Republicans to manipulate the election. One voter was shipping out to Iraq within days, and hadn't received his ballot. The staff person told him he could vote online, a special program had been set up so that military could vote online. I later heard that military online voting didn't work, some weren't able to access the site, it was another boondoggle. Furthermore, voters were informed after the election that absentee ballots ARE NOT COUNTED unless the election is especially close. They are thrown away without being counted! So--absentee ballots are not a good option!

There were similar problems as C_W presented in the Obama election. The report was that Obama lost 7 million votes due to various shenanigans, faulty voting machines, etc. Democracy in America has become a bit of a sham.

Carter did point out in the above-mentioned interview, that this isn't all that new. Back in the '60's the Democrats were the guilty party, especially in Chicago, he mentioned something about the Democratic Convention there, I forget the details, but the mayor of Chicago was notorious for running a powerful political machine that manipulated votes.

This news about targeting students is a real concern, bearing in mind that absentee ballots aren't routinely counted, and also that students may not know, unless there's a concerted effort by media to reach them with this message. Most students don't read the NY Times. They'll get to voting stations and will get a rude surprise if this news doesn't reach them. We used to have quite a few college students among our membership, I guess -- not so much anymore?

• I didn't know Current Events was only for Buddhism-related news. Maybe the category should say: "Current Events in Buddhism"? Just a thought.

No No. A quick glance at "Current Events" section will show that this has always been the case.
  • @dakini i would think that previous problems with absentee ballots would favor Democrats as military tends to vote Republican?
  • I think all bets are off as to what demographic votes by what method, since the 1st GW Bush election. A lot of Democrats after that switched to absentee ballots, thinking it would be more accurate. No one knew absentee ballots aren't routinely counted. Also, I saw military in Kerry HQ, desperate for absentee ballots. All these election manipulation scandals have turned everything upside down and inside out. And now, it looks like we may have students, traditionally a group tending toward liberal voting, requesting absentee ballots in droves. I vaguely recall there being some discussion years ago, about requiring absentee ballots to be counted in all elections, so maybe they don't throw them away anymore. I hope not.
  • The military continues to vote Republican, 56%-34% in 2008 (polled), but this also shows a shift to the left, as previous years have been as high as 70% Republican. Even more interesting was that Obama had gained more financial support from the military members than McCain.

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/politicalintelligence/2008/08/military_favors.html

Here's an interesting study accomplished in California... they show a significant decrease in voter participation by mailing in ballots (not good) however, it also showed a 5.99% favor to Democrats. If this is accurate, this could come back to bite the Republicans in the arse.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?hl=en&gbv=2&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=2172l4344l0l8234l11l11l0l1l1l0l313l2454l0.2.7.1l10l0&q=cache:3gDk3hyi3_sJ:http://www.nonprofitvote.org/download-document/how-does-vote-by-mail-affect-voters-bergman-et-al.html+absentee+ballot+demographic&ct=clnk
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for your good research, Telly.
    What a fascinating study. And thanks to Pew Charitable Trust for funding it. Notice that over 62% of CA voters chose to vote by mail. I think that says a lot for voters' distrust of voting technology. Convenience is probably an issue, too, but that wouldn't explain why a significant majority of voters chose mail-in ballots. I'm going to enjoy reading this.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2011
    "New Evidence--Higgs Boson--the God Particle" has nothing to do with Buddhism, and is in "Current Events". "Anonymous Hacks Large Intelligence Company, Uses Credit Cards...", too.
    *mumble* *mumble* :grumble:
  • How is it "disenfranchisement" to expect someone to prove who they are before voting? I have to show a passport when I visit Canada, so I imagine that would really disenfranchise blacks who want to travel there by your logic. Or when I go onto a military base.

I'm a college student and have voted absentee in the past. Or sometimes I drive the distance to vote. Depends on my schedule. So expecting someone to present identification is racist? Then get a license! It's not difficult. Why is it so hard or bad to expect people to be responsible enough to do such a basic task?

I think it's a kind of nasty, paternalist racism to believe that minorities are incapable of doing something so basic.

• This isn't new. The Montgomery County (Virginia) supervisor of elections did this in 2004. Virginia Tech students were required to vote at a polling place far removed from the campus (there were plenty of available, suitable places on campus), and many students didn't have cars. The Obama campaign set up a shuttle service to take them from campus out to the polling place, but undoubtedly many of them were unable to vote. I filed a formal letter of complaint about it, but never heard a peep.

With the rise of authoritarian practices in America (detention without charge, warrantless wire tapping, etc, etc), this is no surprise. Just another indication of the decline and fall of the American empire. I used to be afraid of that, but now I just see it as inevitable, and will roll with whatever comes, and do my best to make sure that what comes after (wherever that may be) is better than what we started with. Those who are perpetuating the authoritarian state for the rich and powerful can do whatever they want to.

• Those who are perpetuating the authoritarian state for the rich and powerful can do whatever they want to.
    I think that's a pretty appalling thing to say, especially given how many millions of people actually DO live in authoritarian states like North Korea, China, Iran, and Saudi Arabia. A lot of people in those places would give a limb to live in America.

• KnightofBuddha, poor practices in other places do not excuse poor practices in the U.S.
  • KnightofBuddha, poor practices in other places do not excuse poor practices in the U.S.
    The idea that America is a totalitarian state is outrageous. I find it a disgraceful thing to say because there is no comparison between the freedoms here and the lack of them in say Saudi Arabia.
  • KnightofBuddha, that really doesn't address my point. I do recognize that it is a very big difference between US and Saudi Arabia. My point was that poor practices in Saudi Arabia do not excuse poor practices in the US.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited December 2011
  • Telly03Telly03 Veteran
    edited December 2011
    I understand the intent behind the wiretapping laws, and the effort involved in ensuring that our privacy is protected, unless your involved in serious criminal activities or associated with terrorist efforts, so I feel that my rights are intact, and that I am better protected. It has nothing to do with the "rich and powerful doing whatever they want" it's actually about protecting our rights despite contradicting claims of the paranoid.
  • edited December 2011
    It has nothing to do with the "rich and powerful doing whatever they want" it's actually about protecting our rights despite contradicting claims of the paranoid.
    I personally feel as though people who don't mind wavering our rights away in the name of "fighting terrorists" are just as paranoid, if not more. The terrorists have won when we willfully give up our most basic rights.
  • No rights were wavered... terrorists have won when we are no longer able to defend ourselves.
  • Let me give you an example of the intent and reason of the wiretapping... Lets say that a known terrorist organization, outside of the US, was coordinating an attack with agents also outside of the US. Our Intel agencies are aware of the communications, but are handcuffed from collecting because the communication path happens to run through a US owned gateway or business... The President agreed with DoD that our rights are not violated by authorizing collection, and I agree. But there are those who are paranoid that this provides the "rich and powerful" a means of listening to your communications from your home without a warrant... this is not true, it does not. Your rights are still intact.
  • edited December 2011
    No rights were wavered...
    Rights wavered:

- Right to privacy
    - Right to unlawful search and seizures
    - Right to trial by jury
    - Right to free speech
    - Right to not have cruel and unusual punishments

I am able to give instances for each.
  • @Bekenze You probably can if you feel terrorists should be afforded the same rights as US citizens.
  • edited December 2011
    @Bekenze You probably can if you feel terrorists should be afforded the same rights as US citizens.
    I think our definitions of terrorist varies.
  • Your probably correct

• Those who are perpetuating the authoritarian state for the rich and powerful can do whatever they want to.
    I think that's a pretty appalling thing to say, especially given how many millions of people actually DO live in authoritarian states like North Korea, China, Iran, and Saudi Arabia. A lot of people in those places would give a limb to live in America.
    It's a pretty appalling thing to live through, don't you think? It's all relative my friend. Yes, they'd love to live here, but the America I live in today isn't the America I grew up and came to adulthood in. It's a totally different country after 9/11/01. Do you truly think anything is going to change in any meaningful way in America, given the road we're currently going down? The Obama administration has continued, and even expanded, most of the policies of the Cheney administration (oops.. I meant the Bush administration) with regard to degradation of basic civil liberties and human rights (despite all the hooplah to the contrary). Sorry, but I've become totally cynical about where America is headed. It's bound to split eventually. And I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing. It's just the natural progression of an empire that's in rapid decline.
  • Let me give you an example of the intent and reason of the wiretapping... Your rights are still intact.
    No, they patently are not. Not remotely. I used to work inside NSA. When I was in NSA, rule number one (literally) was that you were never allowed to collect on ANY US person or entity, period. That wasn't NSA's job. That was the FBI's job. There were elaborate safeguards in place to prevent it, and to report it if it happened inadvertently.

Today NSA has become the de-facto domestic surveillance arm of the "Justice" Department. If you want to go to bed believing that everybody involved will only use the vast (and they are vast) new powers of the government to spy on its citizens only for good and noble purposes, then you just lay your little head down and believe that. I know better. There is no accountability and no consequences.
  • edited December 2011
    @Bekenze You probably can if you feel terrorists should be afforded the same rights as US citizens.
    I think our definitions of terrorist varies.
    Here's how it works: if they're on our side, they're "Freedom Fighters". If they're against us, they're terrorists. Simple.

Wiretapping is far from the benign scenario Telly03 outlines. The order under Bush was as Mountains says--to orient a division of the NSA toward domestic spying via phone wiretap and internet. The stated purpose was to enable security services to surveil domestic terrorist cells. But as the numerous imbroglios at airports involving innocent citizens finding their names on no-fly lists attests, narrowly targeted surveillance can easily get out of hand.

I was a college student on a language study program in the USSR, and I never EVER thought I'd see the day when my own country would begin to resemble in ominous ways that now-defunkt regime. Big Brother listening in (we used to talk into the electrical outlets in the dorm rooms, as a joke, as if they were bugs), the eviscerating of the media, as happened during Bush II (the joke in Russia was that of the two main newspapers, Pravda (Truth) and Izvestiia (News): Pravda has no Izvestiia, and Izvestiia has no Pravda). Unnervingly, under baby Bush, our media had no Izvestiia, or not much that would disturb His Highness. Is it any better now? I don't know. I've given up. You tell me.

The justification for domestic spying? Just like "back in the USSR", as McCartney sang. "We're surrounded by enemies! Enemies within, enemies without." You never know if your neighbor might be an enemy cell. Report on your neighbor to the police (or the NSA). The authorities are here to help you, and to defend the Motherland. Only true subversives get caught in the snare and shipped away on trains to unknown destinations. Cooperate with the authorities and all will be well. Telly03, we have a job opening for you, if you'd like to demonstrate your patriotism.

• Let me give you an example of the intent and reason of the wiretapping... Your rights are still intact.
    No, they patently are not. Not remotely. I used to work inside NSA. When I was in NSA, rule number one (literally) was that you were never allowed to collect on ANY US person or entity, period. That wasn't NSA's job. That was the FBI's job. There were elaborate safeguards in place to prevent it, and to report it if it happened inadvertently.

Today NSA has become the de-facto domestic surveillance arm of the "Justice" Department. If you want to go to bed believing that everybody involved will only use the vast (and they are vast) new powers of the government to spy on its citizens only for good and noble purposes, then you just lay your little head down and believe that. I know better. There is no accountability and no consequences.
    Well I currently work at NSA and you are not even remotely correct about what NSA has become... There are even more accountability and consequences. There are a lot of congressional eyes on the way we do business, so the pressure is on to make sure your rights are protected, to the degree that it makes it hard to put proper time into analysis due to all the procedures in place to make sure we are not crossing any lines.

I really don't like hearing you assume that things have changed for the worse and spout it out as facts... There is enough unjustified govt paranoia going around without your help.
  • You don't have a clue what your talking about CW... NSA does not do domestic spying. I'm glad I don't live in your world.
  • It was in the papers and on the radio when that change occurred, under Bush. It was a scandal for the very reason that the NSA's surveillance mission until then was always strictly international. It still is scandalous. There were articles near the beginning of the Obama administration saying he hasn't changed the policy, the domestic spying is still going on. How else are they going to catch Jihadists networking by internet? But maybe you're right, maybe it's been delegated to the FBI, though it's the NSA that has always had all the most advanced equipment and linguists.
  • "scandalous" is an opinion, and I respect that, but yes, the lines of responsibility remain. I wish I could share more details, but you just have to trust me that congress is keeping a close eye on operations to ensure your rights are intact. NSA knows that if they screw up, they risk being shut down and people jailed.

• OK, fair enough. But I distinctly recall it was a Presidential order at the time, to turn to NSA to domestic spying. A Republican President with a Republican Congress behind him. But maybe things have changed.
  • Telly03Telly03 Veteran
    edited December 2011
    The rules were adjusted a bit, like in the scenario I provided, to pass the legality test... but the purpose was to clarify that certain activities were not domestic spying... but watch dogs concerned with protecting our rights (a good thing) are understandably concerned when such adjustments are made, and may voice concerns of domestic spying. Trusting our govt is very difficult considering how dirty politics have proven be, but Congress really does have our constitution at heart when making decisions, and in this case they made a decision while having more details than what are available to the public. I can honestly say that if I decided to monitor your private communications, I would absolutely lose my job, and may even face jail time... as is the way it should be.
  • Fascinating. Thank you.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Well I currently work at NSA and you are not even remotely correct about what NSA has become... There are even more accountability and consequences. There are a lot of congressional eyes on the way we do business
    Wow... congressional oversight. That makes me feel a whole lot better (NOT!). Congress can't oversee its way out of a wet paper bag. I'm supposed to believe they're looking out for my best interests in domestic surveillance in these times of detention without charge (who needs habeas corpus?), secret CIA prison systems, warrantless wiretaps, trampling on the First Amendment (but heavens, not the Second!!) etc, etc, etc?

Sorry my friend, just not buying it. Am I personally worried about them reading my emails? Not at all. I have nothing to hide. But that's so far from the point that you can't see it from here. If you can't see the problem with what America has become from your desk inside NSA, perhaps it's time to get out so you can.
  • Telly03Telly03 Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Or perhaps it's time to get out of your paranoid padded cell :)
  • Telly03Telly03 Veteran
    edited December 2011
    @mountains you praised NSA for its strict rules to protect our rights while you worked there.... Why would you insist, through your assumptions, that everything has changed after you left? Even with me telling you that there are even more rules and protection... You could call me a liar to help maintain your political spin, but then it just becomes pointless ramblings in the form of political flavored bashing.
  • How is it "disenfranchisement" to expect someone to prove who they are before voting?
    If it weren't disenfranchisement, the Justice Dept. wouldn't have disallowed it in South Carolina.

The way it used to work is that you showed some form of ID, even a student ID, in order to get a voter registration card. Your voter card was enough to get into the polling stations. Now it's all changing.

I remember in WA State, though, you were required to re-register for every election. People would show up to vote and would be told they couldn't vote, because they hadn't renewed their registration. That was unnerving. I don't know if that was common practice elsewhere, or just a local thing.

• How is it "disenfranchisement" to expect someone to prove who they are before voting?
    If it weren't disenfranchisement, the Justice Dept. wouldn't have disallowed it in South Carolina.

The way it used to work is that you showed some form of ID, even a student ID, in order to get a voter registration card. Your voter card was enough to get into the polling stations. Now it's all changing.

I remember in WA State, though, you were required to re-register for every election. People would show up to vote and would be told they couldn't vote, because they hadn't renewed their registration. That was unnerving. I don't know if that was common practice elsewhere, or just a local thing.

The same justice department that did not prosecute the intimidation of voters by Black Panthers and same Justice Department that signed off on Fast and Furious which has killed over 300 Mexicans. Not impressed.
  • KnightofBuddha, that really doesn't address my point. I do recognize that it is a very big difference between US and Saudi Arabia. My point was that poor practices in Saudi Arabia do not excuse poor practices in the US.
    I said nothing about excusing anything. I think it shows a severe lack of moral compass and shows myopic naivete to say that the place of the freest speech, assembly, religion, and expression...is an authoritarian state. I am friends with expats from several very real totalitarian countries who kiss thr ground of this country for being free and are deeply insulted by this kind of talk.
  • @KnightofBuddha, Thank you for responding. I agree that it is hard to say US is an authoritarian state. In that we are in agreement. My comment was to point out that the original poster reports some policies with possible intent to reduce voter turnout of students. I had thought you were excusing such policies with the defense of saying we are 'not as bad as' north korea or saudi arabia or whatever. I aplogize in advance if I misunderstood you.

The argument that it is to reduce fraud is not reasonable because why not require all votes be by absentee ballot which would be the logical conclusion from believing it reduces fraud.

• The argument that it is to reduce fraud is not reasonable because why not require all votes be by absentee ballot which would be the logical conclusion from believing it reduces fraud.
    The answer is not so much absentee ballots for fraud reduction, but also having at least a state ID. Even state ID cards can be forged, but it's like having a lock on your door, it just makes it more difficult for the criminal to be dishonest.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Washington State did eventually make state ID's available and I got one. but I don't think they always had them. It was a new thing, and when I got mine and used it when I travelled, people in other states said their state didn't have that. But that was then, this is now.

In the articles I've read, requiring a gov't ID of some sort is considered discriminatory because poor residents in rural areas aren't able to get to an office that offers the ID's. It harks back to the days of poll taxes, and fake literacy tests designed to prevent people of color from voting. I agree with Telly that it sounds perfectly reasonable, but from what little I've read about this issue, access to acceptable forms of ID's isn't easy for some, and those some tend to be the kind of voters (liberal) that Republicans don't want at the polls.