Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Who are your top 3 favorite Buddhist teachers

PremaSagarPremaSagar Veteran
edited January 2012 in Buddhism Basics
1. H.H Dalai Lama- The smiling Bodhisattva as I know him
2. Thich Nhat Hanh- Vietnamese Zen Practitioner
3. Jack Kornfield- Practiced within the Theravada Forest Tradition for several years, I do own a copy of 'Buddha's Little Instruction Book' very helpful for beginners and seasoned practitioners who want a bit of wisdom to meditate on wherever they go.

Extra Question: How did you spend your New Years ?
I'm glad that I can post here more frequently then at Dharma Wheel perhaps later I'll get your opinions on a letter I wrote in an attempt to share Buddhism. I would appreciate a moderators opinion on how soon I can post the letter. How soon I can post the letter depends on the moderator's mandate. I do want to make sure I don't overpost.

Comments

• Those are three good ones. Pema Chodron is also quite good..

I spent my new years with my brother and my mom. And a mouse came out and was running around on the molding that runs around the ceiling. The dog and cat were watching the mouse run around it was so funny. My brother put a garbage bag underneath a section and greased it with olive oil and the mouse sure enough fell into the garbage bag. Then my mom and him took the mouse over to a park.

Therefore my mom, brother, and the mouse were all my dharma teachers!
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited January 2012
    - The Buddha
    - HH Dalia Lama
    - Ajahn Brahm

So very many if we just look.
  • edited January 2012
    The Buddha
    Shunryu Suzuki
    The next person I meet
  • Brad Warner
    Charlotte Joko Beck
    hmm, can't choose a third right now

I spent New Year's with 2 of my kids, ate lots of tasty food I don't normally eat, watched episodes of BONES i got for Christmas and went to bed a little early.
  • 1. HH 16th Karmapa. Though I didn’t have the fortune to meet him or hear any of his teachings, but merely seeing a picture of him is quite inspiring.
    2. HE 3rd Jamgon Kongtrul Rinpoche. Some of his teachings in English can be found on dharmadownload.net, I personally find them very precise and clear.
    3. Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche. No-bullshit and always very refreshing.
  • chariramacharirama Veteran
    edited January 2012
    I like to listen to the Zencasts by Gil Fronsdal from the Insight Meditation Centre.

New Years Eve I performed with my band at a community family dance early in the evening then brought in the new year performing with one of the elders, a saxophone player, at the adult dance and was finished shortly after midnight. It's getting more difficult for me to play music in place where there is alcohol being served so I was glad to be finished early.

On two occasions recently I have returned from ten day Yoga retreats and gone right to the local pub for weekend engagements. After the intensive Yoga practice where we focus on balance and fine tuning our central nervous systems, it is painful for me to watch people get intoxicated and numb their nervous systems to the point where they cannot stand up on both feet, let alone balance on one. Sometimes I think that if I was not there playing the music that these people would not be suffering so much.
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited January 2012
    @charirama Whether you are there or not, these people would get drunk. It's in their nature. You are not the cause of their suffering, so why do you feel responsible? It is almost impossible to play at a venue that DOES NOT serve alcohol, so you'll want to get over that.
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    HH The Dalai Lama
    Lama Surya Das
    Adyashanti

On New Years went out to dinner with friends. A lovely start to the New Year.
  • Thich Nhat Hanh
  • Ajahn Brahm
    HH Dalai Lama
    Thich Nhat Hahn

I stayed at home and read the books I bought myself for X-mas.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    That's a tough one. There are so many I respect and have learned a lot from that it's hard to limit it to just three. Three of my favourites who also have teachings easily available online, however, are Thanissaro Bhikkhu, Ajahn Amaro, and Ajahn Chah.

As for New Year's Eve, I spent it with my girlfriend and another friend. We ended up going to see a funk/soul show by a local band called Philly's Phunkestra w/ special guest Tahoe Jackson. Pretty awesome.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Geshe Kelsang Rinpoche and his students.
    General Gelugpa teachers.
    Ajan Brahm.
    Bhikhu Bodhi.
  • @PremaSagar. "overpost"? There is no such thing. Do you mean "posting" as in -- starting threads? Still, there are no rules about frequency of posting OP's here.
  • The Bhavana Society Monks: Bhante Gunaratana, Ajahn Sona, etc
    The Western Thai Forrest Monks: Ajahn Sumedo, Ajahn Amaro, Ajahn Passano, Thanissaro Bhikkhu, etc
    The Australian Thai Forrest Monks: Ajahn Brahm, Ajahn Sujato, etc
  • My dog Sadie
    The Pelicans over the ocean
    The reflection of the moon on the water...
  • Ven Master Hsing Yun (Fo Guang Shan) without a doubt :-) x
  • The Dalai Lama, Thanissaro Bhikkhu and Thich Nhat Hanh
  • Shinran
    Thich Nhat Hanh
    Shunryu Suzuki
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Shunryu Suzuki
    Noah Levine
    The Buddha
  • Thich Nhat- a person who deserves every ounce of the hype around him due to his ability to bring us, as most of us are westerners, to the Buddhist fold, but also to easily reconcile deep divisions within the different sects.
    Huineng
    Shiwu
  • Hakuin
    Dogen
    TheFound
  • H.H. The Dalai Lama

H.E. Tsem Tulku Rinpoche

H.H. the Karmapa, Trinley Thaye Dorje
  • Steve Hagen

Eckhardt Tolle

Thomas Merton (Long deceased Trappist, yes Catholic, Monk.}
  • Osho