Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Australian Buddhism

XraymanXrayman Veteran
edited March 2006 in Buddhism Today
G'Day mates,

Welcome to the new Forum for us Aussies!

No we act nothing like The Crocodile Hunter!

:ausflag:

Comments

• edited March 2006
    Perhaps someone would be kind enough to quote what the 5th Patriarch told the student who later became the 6th Patriarch? :buck:
  • EonEon
    edited March 2006
    Now leave this place as quickly as you can, lest someone should do you harm?
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    wtf?
  • EonEon
    edited March 2006
    Xrayman wrote:
    wtf?

I was trying to find something appropriate in the sutra of hui-neng, but couldn't find anything better :-/
  • edited March 2006
    Hmmm something about Barbarians coming from the South? :D;)

Sas
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    Well what a scintillating, deep, intellectual and truly commendable beginning to the Australian Buddhist Forum...Tell me...is this going to set the general tone?

Have we found the level?

or are there hopes yet for our Antipodean bretheren (and sisteren...!!) ??:rant: :lol:
  • edited March 2006
    federica wrote:
    Well what a scintillating, deep, intellectual and truly commendable beginning to the Australian Buddhist Forum...Tell me...is this going to set the general tone?

Have we found the level?

or are there hopes yet for our Antipodean bretheren (and sisteren...!!) ??:rant: :lol:

I thought it was going quite well! ;):D:lol:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Hi, Xray.

Am I allowed on here, too?

Brigid

P.S. I know the water doesn't go down the toilet any differently in Oz. Fede told me. So don't try any of that funny stuff.

P.S.S. What's a billabong? 'Cuz I don't think it's what I think it is.
  • edited March 2006
    I think a billabong is some kind of pond?

Or a popular range of surfwear.......... :D
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I might have t'break out my flamin' didgeridoo!

I really do have one I play, sometimes. Love them! :)

-bf
  • edited March 2006
    My hubby has a didgeridoo too! And I have some Australian coins, so does that mean I can come in here too??
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    The trick is in the breath control....Right? I just sound like a fart when i try to play one;....
    edited March 2006
    Yes... major breath control. They do this thing called "circular breathing" - which just means that you use your head like a bagpipe for a couple of seconds. Pack your cheeks full of air and force the air out of your cheeks while drawing in another breath.

Yoda... if your hubby likes didges... get him some music from this band called "Outback" - very cool sounding stuff.

Okay... all this talk of "cheeks" and "air" and "blowing" is getting me all worked up for a newspaper and some meditation time...

-bf
  • edited March 2006
    federica wrote:
    I just sound like a fart when i try to play one;....

fede...you use your MOUTH. Not your butt.
    edited March 2006
    Eeeew.

I'm afraid I'd have to burn that didge now.

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    fede...you use your MOUTH. Not your butt.

LOL!!!!
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Sorry ladies (history lesson #2)

According to the Aborigines, The playing of Digeridoos is prohibited-only men are allowed to do so.

Not being sexist-just the law.

P.S. Do you know that in aboriginal law, it is considered disrespectful to speak about, or see (on Television) photographs etc. of dead aboriginals?
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I didn't know that, Xray. Either of those things.

I like learning stuff like this. It's fun!

Thank you, Xray. You're a fine teacher.

From your sister,
    Brigid
    edited March 2006
    Xrayman wrote:
    Sorry ladies (history lesson #2)

According to the Aborigines, The playing of Digeridoos is prohibited-only men are allowed to do so.

Not being sexist-just the law.

P.S. Do you know that in aboriginal law, it is considered disrespectful to speak about, or see (on Television) photographs etc. of dead aboriginals?

That law can only have come in once TV was invented.... it's hardly carved in stone or part of those wonderful simple but sacred paintings on Uluru, is it? Ya can take things a bit too far.... :grin:
    How wonderful! It lets me off the hook...!! I now have the perfect get-out clause, if ever anyone says to me..."go ahead, try it!"

And you guys are just the limit... I said I sound like a fart... I didn't say I play it with my ass.... Jeez! Are you all trying to corrupt me? Because it won't work, ya know....!! ;)
  • angulimalaangulimala Veteran
    edited March 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    I might have t'break out my flamin' didgeridoo!

I really do have one I play, sometimes. Love them! :)

-bf
    hi bf,do you know anything about throat singing?i think digderidoo is some kind of throat singing.and to you aussie and european buddhists i congratulate you on your new forum.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    angulimala wrote:
    hi bf,do you know anything about throat singing?i think digderidoo is some kind of throat singing.and to you aussie and european buddhists i congratulate you on your new forum.

I know this probably isn't the kind of throat singing you had in mind but I've seen throat singing performed by Inuit women and it's hilarious! It's a competition. They stand right in front of each other with their faces really close and they sing in this repetitive, rhythmic way with their throats while their mouths are closed. The sounds are really funny and the first singer who starts to laugh is out. It's really hilarious! I just love it.

Brigid
    edited March 2006
    angulimala wrote:

No... I don't know anything about throat singing.

I do know that there are multiple animals sounds that are mimiced while playing the didge. While you're blowing a "raspberry" to get the typical didge sound - you can also make vocalizations which are picked up through the didge.

There is a lot of wonderful, "old" musical stylings out there - I just hope they don't get lost in the "current" sound of music that most people seem to practice anymore.

-bf
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Federica,

The "law" was produced in The Dreamtime. WAAAY before television. Like I said, I'm just the messenger-don't shoot me.

Xray
    edited March 2006
    Non sparate sul pianista....;)

No prob's Xrayman.... I never blame men for the things they say or do....

You can't help it..... :lol:
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    :skeptical
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    LOL!!