Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sangha Reference Request, Florida (or Bright Dawn Institute)

edited January 2012 in Sanghas
Hello all,

I have been looking into the following:

http://www.volusiabuddhist.org/?p=1

There seems to be a lot of links online related to Bright Dawn, however not really any personal anecdotes or references. The name itself sounds kind of cult-like, however I am willing to look past that since this sangha only has an affiliation with them.

My brother says this particular sensei also comes to his UU church on occasion, and that he likes him, though he knows naught of Buddhism. I take it with a grain of salt.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• This looks good to me. It says it's non-sectarian and emphasizes the universal teachings of the Buddha. The fact that they have a relationship with the UU's may be a good sign. The only way you can find out for sure is to check it out. It doesn't raise any red flags for me. Let us know what you think, if you try it out. Sounds like I place I wouldn't mind checking out, actually. :thumbsup:
  • edited January 2012
    http://news.medill.northwestern.edu/chicago/news.aspx?id=36031
    There's a video--it looks like a Christian-Buddhist crossover approach.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2012
    I have experience with a multidenominational church meditating group. The people were fine I mean we didn't talk we just sat. Then I was online and read that the organization's MO was the power of the word of the bible to guide us. Which was personally not my thing. For someone else a crossover might work.

I think the non-sectarianism might appeal and be good with my recollection of you, Hubris. In my case I find the lineage of my teacher to be a good thing because she has these connections with a whole lineage of fantastic practitioners. Sort of like a football player whose son plays football he might not be the best on the team, but he grew up in a house with advantages to learn football.

• If you Google "Bright Dawn Institute for American Buddhism", more info will come up, including the youtube vid I wasn't able to post here. I don't know if that video is typical of their teaching or not. It may have been tailored for a Christian audience. Anyway, we usually recommend checking a group out, see what the feel of the sangha is, see if the teachings are good, then decide.
  • Thanks all, I will likely check it out for myself. I do have certain preferences in what I want in a sangha and a "service". So this may not be a fit - even less so if there is a theistic approach to it.

I am in the research phase, because the move planning/preparation is taking priority in the moment. I was poking around so I had a starting point to meet other like-minded folks in a new city. Or, at least nearby.

Hence, my absence on the boards lately, lots of big changes for 2012.
  • Thanks for the update. Let us know how it goes.
  • I like this website. It's worth clicking on home and reading the posts from Volusia Buddhist Fellowship. It doesn't say, but I assume they're written by their leader, Morris Sullivan.
  • How did the sangha work out, Hubris? What's your first impression? Looks interesting.
  • @Dakini, I have not gone yet. I am still in Virginia, and will be moving down to Florida in a couple of weeks. Once I get settled in I will be checking it out. In the interim I was being proactive by checking out Buddhist resources.

I will update once I have had a chance to get there. It may be awhile with settling in from an interstate move, and looking for work.