Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Karma Sutra

edited March 2006 in Philosophy
I must I was alway interested in the Karma Sutra. I have travelled to India and took in those Holy temple's of devoltion. However in recent years I have resisted their intoxicted imagine...?

Why you might ask, well it's since Sting started telling the world that he and his long suffering wife have be at it in the stylie of the Karma Sutra.

It's bloody disturbing.

HH

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    Herman, dearest... I think you need to edit your post a bit, because it doesn't really make sense... read it again...I think you've missed some words out, and mis-used others... Do you mean the kama sutra....?:winkc:
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Sting has disturbed me ever since he left the Police.

Putz.

-bf
    edited March 2006
    BTW, Fede...

You DID change your avatar "snicker"...

Vroooooooom!

-bf
  • edited March 2006
    your right... It should read "been at it ". Sorry folks.

Federica, I am glad to see you cooked your chicken.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    More like

[B]"bphrooooooooooooooooom!!" [/B]

*can't see her for burnin' rubber smoke!!*
  • edited March 2006
    Fede - you COOKED Chicken Little?? Oh man....my daughter is going to be so sad.
    edited March 2006
    Chicken little mighty yummy, thanks, HH.....
    Sting says they've stopped that now... he's trying to teach trudy kama shopping... you go out, engage in the merchandise, try it on, admire it - but you don't actually end up buying anything.....!! :lol:

Yogamama... don't tell her..... I won't if you won't.... no point hurtin' the little one's feelings.... just don't take her past a kentucky's fer a while..... ;)
  • edited March 2006
    Alright...no need to break her little heart. Good thing we don't eat chicken in our house!
    edited March 2006
    It's getting to be so in the States that you can't eat anything.

The birds have the flu.
    Cows have gone crazy.
    Good thing I love making slow roasted pork.

-bf
  • edited March 2006
    Do you want me to tell you the gross and nasty things about pork?
    edited March 2006
    Hmmmm.....let me think...

No thank you.

-bf
  • edited March 2006
    Darn...that would have been fun.
    edited March 2006
    I don't think it would have been fun.

You just leave my pork alone.

-bf
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited March 2006
    FYI- there is a big difference between the Hindu Karma Sutra and its related practices and the Buddhist Kama Sutta:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/khuddaka/suttanipata/snp4-01.html
    Sn IV.1
    Kama Sutta
    Sensual Pleasure
    Translated from the Pali by
    Thanissaro Bhikkhu PTS: Sn 766-771

Source: Transcribed from a file provided by the translator.

Copyright © 1997 Thanissaro Bhikkhu.
    Access to Insight edition © 1997
    For free distribution. This work may be republished, reformatted, reprinted, and redistributed in any medium. It is the author's wish, however, that any such republication and redistribution be made available to the public on a free and unrestricted basis and that translations and other derivative works be clearly marked as such.

If one, longing for sensual pleasure,
    achieves it, yes,
    he's enraptured at heart.
    The mortal gets what he wants.
    But if for that person
    — longing, desiring —
    the pleasures diminish,
    he's shattered,
    as if shot with an arrow.

Whoever avoids sensual desires
    — as he would, with his foot,
    the head of a snake —
    goes beyond, mindful,
    this attachment in the world.

A man who is greedy
    for fields, land, gold,
    cattle, horses,
    servants, employees,
    women, relatives,
    many sensual pleasures,
    is overpowered with weakness
    and trampled by trouble,
    for pain invades him
    as water, a cracked boat.

So one, always mindful,
    should avoid sensual desires.
    Letting them go,
    he'd cross over the flood
    like one who, having bailed out the boat,
    has reached the far shore.

See also: MN 13; Ud VII.3-4; AN VI.63.

The Kama (desire) Sutra is intended in the context of Hindu Tantra Yoga. It is literally the practice of transforming Kama into Divine Union. It is closely related to Hatha Yoga (which is also an aspect of Tantra). It is basically a transformation of the sexual experience into an awareness of the subtle energetic aspect of the act. As one detaches from the gross aspect of the act, they open up to the energetic aspect, which is much more expansive. It is also considered a direct union with Shiva & Shakti in some circles of practice. While modern practices basically focus on prolonged/better sex, in its pure aspect as a spiritual practice, this is not the point. Generally speaking it is only advisable to engage in these practices with a qualified teacher and in the context of Tantra Yoga.

_/\_
    metta

P.S.-Sorry for the buzzkill. :D
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Not a buzzkill at all!!!
    You just anticipated some of our questions and answered them.
    Thanks!

Brigid