Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

American Native Indian name.

XraymanXrayman Veteran
edited June 2006 in Faith & Religion
hello,

I've been thinking, apparently when a child is born to the native Indians, they are given a name related to the first thing seen and (I think) or, your potential character, i.e. Running Bear, White Wolf etc.

Mine would be "Dances like Wet Sponge", or "Trouble when Mouth Speaks". For obvious reasons.

What would be your name, and why?:tongue2:

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    "Squaw Too short to scare ants".....
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    haha!
  • edited March 2006
    'Crooked Back'. That was the name that was given to me during prayer one morning.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    i have another that i've been called, you have just reminded me.

"Crayfish"(crawfish-some americans say i believe) which was given to me by my first boss According to him, like me-A Crayfish has a head all full of sh** you throw it away, only the tail part is any good!

no wonder I have a complex...

ho hum.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Xray,

LOL!!

For me it would be Laughing Brown Baby because that's what my family called me when I was born. I was dark skinned even though my family are pale faces and I was a very happy baby.

When my family and I were on a road trip we went through the Kagnawaga reservation and all the little children were coming out of school and my family said I looked just like them.

A little girl even asked me if I was an Indian when we were ice skating one day when I was around 5 or 6. I said "Yes". !!!!! Bad brown baby!!! But I was so flattered and I didn't want the magic of it all to end. I sooo wanted to be Native.

And to this day the smell of sweet grass growing in the ditches or in fields fills me up with happiness and peace. Sweet grass is used by Natives to weave boxes and baskets and stuff. It smells heavenly!! I had a square sweet grass box when I was little. I put my precious things in it.

Love
    Brigid
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited March 2006
    WAAAAHHH the world and OOOPS, back into the hole!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Reminds me of the joke...

A Native American Indian boy asks his father one day, "Father?, Why is my oldest brother named as he is?"
    "Well, that is because on the morning of his birth a great deer ran through the village - thus we named him Running Deer."
    "Oh...well, how did my other brother get his name?"
    "On the day of the birth of your other brother, a beautiful hawk landed on the top of the teepee where his mother was giving birth to him. So we call him Soaring Hawk."
    "Oh.", says the boy
    "Why do you ask, Two Dogs F***ing?"

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    *Groan*

I suppose someone had to bring that one up.

Brigid
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Brigid,

Yours should be, "Girl who calls others, wah wah baby"

Xray
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Deat waah waah baby,

You're suggestion has been taken under consideration.

Love,
    Brigid
  • edited March 2006
    I wonder had I actually grew up in a tribal setting what my name might have been, probably the name I've chosen for myself here as I'v always been inquisitive and asked lots of questions. I just founf out this past year, when my grandmother passed away, that I was part Choctaw Indian which is native to Kentucky, Tennessee and Louisiana.
  • edited April 2006
    The names given native children have nothing to do with that old folk tale. I suspect it was invented to get to the Two-Dogs humpin punchline. You might ask a tribal member how their particular tribe or clan selects a child's name.

Additionally, I wonder why the native american culture is still fair game for jokes. I have yet to read any african american or hispanic jokes here. I doubt those would be greeted as well. One would have expected a more "enlightened" treatment of another culture from this particular assembly. And being 1/64 of something doesn't justify a behavior.

And now I'm putting this load down and moving on. Like we all should.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Even Freud apparently once said "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar".

This post was a joke, not intended to offend-just a joke.

I'm part German, part Dutch. just looking around here, I've noticed that Buddhists use the Swastika to represent the heart of the Buddha. Now I'm incensed that someone/some people are attempting to offend me by displaying the Swastika-Implying that I'm a Nazi.:bawling:

regards,

Xray
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Sorry to offend, Kickapoo.

I have Native Canadian friends and we've joked around about this in the past. The subject originally came up with them because I was telling them about the Highland Scottish penchant for calling people colourful names like Seamus the Red and Big Donald and so forth because so many of their last names were McDonald around where I live in Canada. They then told me about their names and we joked about how people get their names and nicknames and so forth. It was all done with the utmost respect in our humour with no offence intended.

But I guess those were different circumstances and no excuse for the thoughtlessness I showed here.

I'm very sorry to have offended and will think more thoroughly in the future.

Sincerely,
    Brigid
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2006
    It's getting to the point where we are bending so far backwards so as not to cause offence, we're losing our sense of humour and fun... We're also becoming afraid to express ourselves and give vent to some of the concerns that worry us.

For goodness' sake! Let's be a little bit more objective about it! If we decided to keep quiet for fear of offending a particular section of society, jokes as we know them would cease tp exist - !!

Nobody on this forum, particularly, who is in any way a follower or practitioner of Buddhism, does anything deliberately to cause offence.

We all need to lighten up a bit.
  • edited April 2006
    Mitakuye Oyasin "We are all related". To find offense in one's brother/sister is to find offense in one's self. Therefore, I thank my brother/sister for the lesson.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited April 2006
    kickapoo wrote:
    The names given native children have nothing to do with that old folk tale. I suspect it was invented to get to the Two-Dogs humpin punchline. You might ask a tribal member how their particular tribe or clan selects a child's name.

Additionally, I wonder why the native american culture is still fair game for jokes. I have yet to read any african american or hispanic jokes here. I doubt those would be greeted as well. One would have expected a more "enlightened" treatment of another culture from this particular assembly. And being 1/64 of something doesn't justify a behavior.

And now I'm putting this load down and moving on. Like we all should.

Being the offender, I have to agree that kickapoo makes a valid point.

Why is it that Native American culture is still fair game? I wouldn't go that far - but why is this subject still open for fair game? It's not. It's just ignorance on my part.

My apologies to anyone that I offended.

-bf
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited May 2006
    "Runs with Scissors"
    Because I'm pretty naive, unfortunately. Darn. :orange:
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2006
    I am proud to say that friends from Turtle Island have called me "brother" and "uncle".