Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Re-Incarnation-Previous Lives?

XraymanXrayman Veteran
edited March 2006 in Buddhism Basics
Hi all,

Do any of you posess knowledge of your own previous life/lives? :-/

My interpretation of Impermanence encompasses all things, including the spirit/soul/self/ whatever, so maybe the spirit etc. actually looks like this a few weeks after burial:zombie: , Just like the physical.

What do ya reckon?:confused:

I know this is a long-shot, but you never know, there might be someone like me out there, who has come to your planet to understand how you humans function.

Nano nano.:poke:

:rockon:

Xrayman

Comments

• edited March 2006
    Yes.

On one level memory has no substance. On another, it is a form of attachment...things that need to be addressed...karma playing out.
  • edited March 2006
    Sorry. No knowledge. Whether I was a mass murderer or the second coming or if anything at all, I don't know and don't care. What does it profit? The point is to stay focused on this life.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    okay.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Nice response, Xray!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    The Dalai Lama was once asked if he remembered his past lives and he answered that he didn't.
    The interviewer was somewhat taken aback... he (or she... I don't know....) seemed to be under the mistaken notion that one so great and elevated would naturally have some kind of spiritual or 'supernatural' access to such "information"...

The DL asked in return....
    "Do you remember what you were doing on <INSERT RANDOM DATE HERE> by any chance....?"
    The Interviewer replied,
    "No, I don't...."
    "Neither do I !!" Exclaimed the DL gleefully.
    "And," he continued, "if I don't remember this lifetime, how can I possibly be expected to remember a past lifetime?? The important is Now......"

And to give something else I have heard elsewhere....

"If you wish to know what you were in a past life, look at how your Life is today. if you wish to know what you will be in a future Life, look at how your MIND is today."
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I think in my previous life, I was either an ass or a toilet seat.

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006

............No comment.
  • edited March 2006
    Did BF say in a PREVIOUS life or did I misread that? ;):lol:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Sas,

LOL!!!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2006
    :)

-bf
  • edited March 2006
    Fede showed restraint. :)

I, however, have not yet mastered right speech...... and right silence :lol:

Sas
  • edited March 2006
    I dont and ive never been convinced about the whole re-incarnation debate either. Its one of them things things that would have to proven to me before I believed it. A lot of people ask me how can I follow Buddhist principles if I dont believe in re-incarnation. The way I look at it is, if re-incarnation exists its a bonus and if it doesnt then Buddhism has just made me a better person anyway. Its a win win situation.
    edited March 2006
    At the risk of being accused of being pedantic, picky or just splitting hairs.....

Buddhism doesn't talk about reincarnation per se...
    it speaks of re-birth. Which is a fact.
  • edited March 2006
    Wot she said.
  • edited March 2006
    My mistake.

Can someone explain what exactly is meant by re-birth and how it 'is fact' as I cant get my head round how it could be. :confused:
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited March 2006
    Airmech,
    punabbhava

lit.: re-becoming; 'renewed existence', is a sutta term for 'rebirth', which, in later literature mostly is called patisandhi (q.v.). The attainment of Sainthood (arahatta), implying the end of future rebirths, is often expressed in the words: "This is the last birth. Now there is no more a renewed existence!" (natthi 'dāni punabbhavo) (M. 26; D. 15; Therag. 87, 339; Sn. 502). - The term is often linked with abhinibbatti ('arising').

"But how, o brother, does it come to renewed existence and arising in the future (āyatim punabbhavābhinibbatti)? Because beings, obstructed by ignorance and fettered by craving, find ever fresh delight now here, now there, for this reason there is renewed existence and arising in the future" (M. 43). See also S.XII. 38. Abhinibbatti also stands sometimes alone in signifying 'rebirth', e.g. in A. VI, 61; X, 65.

Cf., in the 2nd Truth, the adj. ponobhavika, 'leading to renewed existence'.

See A. III, 76; Sn. 163, 273, 514, 733; S. VII, 12; X, 3.

See also:

The Buddha's Teaching As It Is

Does Rebirth Make Sense?

Dhamma Without Rebirth?

Kamma & Rebirth

:)

Jason
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Airmech wrote:
    I dont and ive never been convinced about the whole re-incarnation debate either. Its one of them things things that would have to proven to me before I believed it. A lot of people ask me how can I follow Buddhist principles if I dont believe in re-incarnation. The way I look at it is, if re-incarnation exists its a bonus and if it doesnt then Buddhism has just made me a better person anyway. Its a win win situation.

Reminds me of the four solaces of the kalama sutta:
    And finally, Buddha reveals how, no matter what our philosophical orientation, following this path will lead to happiness, The Four Solaces:

"The disciple of the Noble Ones, Kalamas, who has such a hate-free mind, such a malice-free mind, such an undefiled mind, and such a purified mind, is one by whom four solaces are found here and now.

"'Suppose there is a hereafter and there is a fruit, result, of deeds done well or ill. Then it is possible that at the dissolution of the body after death, I shall arise in the heavenly world, which is possessed of the state of bliss.' This is the first solace found by him.

"'Suppose there is no hereafter and there is no fruit, no result, of deeds done well or ill. Yet in this world, here and now, free from hatred, free from malice, safe and sound, and happy, I keep myself.' This is the second solace found by him.

"'Suppose evil (results) befall an evil-doer. I, however, think of doing evil to no one. Then, how can ill (results) affect me who do no evil deed?' This is the third solace found by him.

"'Suppose evil (results) do not befall an evil-doer. Then I see myself purified in any case.' This is the fourth solace found by him.

"The disciple of the Noble Ones, Kalamas, who has such a hate-free mind, such a malice-free mind, such an undefiled mind, and such a purified mind, is one by whom, here and now, these four solaces are found."

(quotations adapted from The Anguttara Nikaya 3.65, Soma Thera Trans., emphases added.)
    http://www.ship.edu/~cgboeree/buddhawise.html

While I generally believe in rebirth, I find this belief to be secondary to actual practice (though it does encourage me to practice a little harder).

take care & be well

_/\_
    metta
    edited March 2006
    Elohim, thank you so much for those references... I have copied, pasted and bookmarked them so that I can study them in full.... fantastic.

Not1not2.... While you "generally' believe...."? Could you explain? Surely in such a case, you either do or you don't...? I'm puzzled by the term.... However, I completely agree with you regarding it as of secondary importance to practice... absolutely, spot on. :)
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited March 2006
    federica wrote:
    Elohim, thank you so much for those references... I have copied, pasted and bookmarked them so that I can study them in full.... fantastic.

Not1not2.... While you "generally' believe...."? Could you explain? Surely in such a case, you either do or you don't...? I'm puzzled by the term.... However, I completely agree with you regarding it as of secondary importance to practice... absolutely, spot on. :)

Umm... perhaps I shouldn't have used the word 'generally'. Maybe it means I am not well versed enough on the topic to 'specifically' believe in it. :P I think that is actually pretty close to what I meant. I don't really understand how it works, but i lean more towards believing in re-birth than I lean towards not believing. I guess it comes down to the fact that I don't really know, but I don't have a whole lot of skepticism surrounding the idea.

Now that I'm on the subject though, my whole thought surrounding this process is like this-

The mind has a tendency to create patterns out of our experience by linking similar things together. In this manner the mind sees the moment-by-moment interplay of the five skandhas and relates them together. The cognitive mind also gives a mental designation to objects which fit certain characteristics. This is the basis of the 'I-making' process. Mind identifies the moment to moment progression of the mind/body and suggests a continuity, known as 'I' or 'self'. Anyway, as the mind becomes engrossed in this designation, it begins to filter out other information and disregard it. This strengthens the sense of an individual/independent self, as well as the sense of other objects being isolated and independent from one another. Additionally, the mind is ignorant at this point of what it is doing, and assumes that the self is a real entity along with other objects.

Now, to the rebirth part. Have you ever smelled something or heard a song which awakened memories from years upon years ago? Well, to me it seems the mind sort of connects all experiences together based on commonalities. In this case it would be the smell or the song. From this we can infer that upon attaining a deep enough state of awareness, we may begin to have memories which share a commonality with a past life. However, these memories are not normally triggered in the more gross states of consciousness which are closely associated with this current nama-rupa continuity. Meditation can open up these pathways which allow us to recall past life experiences which share commonalities which correlate to certain meditative states.

Combining these two points, we can see how mind imputes a real subject, known as 'I' or 'self' based on a continuity of events, which had previous causes before this current succession of body/mind moments which can be regarded as past lives as a sentient being.

... I guess I do have a fairly developed opinion on the subject. However, this is all purely theoretical, but it does seem to fit my understanding of how things work, and I still have doubt on this subject. Also, I still do not fully understand the way karma functions from life to life, or precisely how the previous life causes the next life. I guess this will all become clearer to me as my studies and practice deepen.

Anyway, I probably should have said that I can see 'rebirth' as highly feasible, though I'm not sure I fully 'believe'. Basically, 'generally' just indicated a level of uncertainty or doubt as a qualifier to my 'belief in rebirth.'

does that clear things up?

_/\_
    metta
    edited March 2006
    Actually, more than you know... I'm cross-referencing here, but I have just finished putting my 'Thoughts on paper' with regard to chapter 18 of TNH's book 'The Heart of the Buddha's teaching' which speaks of Impermanence, Non-Self, Nirvana, relevances, standards of Truth and reliances... heady stuff for one as 'simple' as I... But I may in a small measure, be making progress....

Thank you N1N2... pleasure speaking with you.... :)
  • edited March 2006
    Airmech wrote:
    My mistake.

Can someone explain what exactly is meant by re-birth and how it 'is fact' as I cant get my head round how it could be. :confused:

Look at it this way - the you that is reading this now is not the same you that will wake up tomorrow morning. On even the simplest level - some of the cells in your body will have died and others will have come into being, you will have different memories than you do now and so on - you're not the same person and yet not totally different. Just as no solid thing has passed over from now to tomorrow morning, so no solid thing is needed to explain rebirth from life to life. We tend to get stuck in the idea that it's 'me' being reborn when in fact there's no such thing in an absolute sense.
  • edited March 2006
    Thanks everyone it now makes sense to me. Very well put Zenmonk, I get what people mean now.
  • Bobby_LanierBobby_Lanier Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Airmech, there is nothing like the words of the master himself--yes, ipsissima verba. While explanations might suffice as to what the dish on the menu may taste like, here is the real dish.
    Mother Discourse ( Samyutta Nikaya XV.14-19)

"At Savatthi. There the Blessed One said: "From an inconstruable beginning comes transmigration. A beginning point is not evident, though beings hindered by ignorance and fettered by craving are transmigrating & wandering on. A being who has not been your mother at one time in the past is not easy to find...A being who has not been your father...your brother...your sister...your son...your daughter at one time in the past is
    not easy to find.

"Why is that? From an inconstruable beginning comes transmigration. A beginning point is not evident, though beings hindered by ignorance and fettered by craving are transmigrating & wandering on. Long have you thus experienced stress, experienced pain, experienced loss, swelling the cemeteries -- enough to become disenchanted with all fabricated things, enough to become dispassionate, enough to be released."

Love ya all,

Bobby
  • edited March 2006
    Interesting question! The Buddha's instruction says we can realize this kind of knowledge for ourselves if we develop samma samadhi. This must be very difficult, it seems so rare to find one who knows so much of their past lives. For those who disbelieve it, do you believe it is simply too difficult, like dangling an impossible carrot in front of a mule? I myself believe it but have not accomplished it.

"In the same way, when a monk has developed and pursued the five-factored noble right concentration in this way, then whichever of the six higher knowledges he turns his mind to know and realize, he can witness them for himself whenever there is an opening....
    If he wants, he recollects his manifold past lives,3 i.e., one birth, two births, three births, four, five, ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty, one hundred, one thousand, one hundred thousand, many aeons of cosmic contraction, many aeons of cosmic expansion, many aeons of cosmic contraction and expansion, [recollecting], 'There I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure and pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose there. There too I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure and pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose here.' Thus he remembers his manifold past lives in their modes and details. He can witness this for himself whenever there is an opening."--AN V.28

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/anguttara/an05-028.html