Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

behaviorism

TalismanTalisman Veteran
edited January 2012 in General Banter
So I posted this in a support forum I use. I haven't posted here in a while and figured I'd ask your guys' opinion on things. There are some parts that may seem "tmi" for some people here so I hope I don't offend at all.

So one of my new psych proffessors seems like a very smart person. His teaching style is extremely engaging and it looks like the class will be a lot of fun.

However ...

I was going through our course pack studying the other day, and there is a chapter of the book (which he wrote) which was removed for the most recent addition due to controversy with a few of his students. According to him, it was advocated by the majority of students and faculty at the university, but that the people who disliked it REALLY disliked it. And so it was removed, but he included it in the ourse pack for additonal reading.

It was a chapter about human sexuality based on the perspective of a behavior analyst. He describes himself in the book as a Radical Behaviorist and proclaims frequently that behavioral science will save the world.

The chapter is essentially a reproduction of the barlow studies. It details the account of a psychologist working with a patient who identifies as transsexual. The course of treatment involves the psychologist providing reinforcment for masculine behavior and mental processes in an attempt to transform this women into a heterosexual man. IT...IS...APALLING. To say the least.

He focuses on describing things like changing the way she sits and stands and walks to stop acting so effeminate and embrace her masculinity in order to avoid ridicule and scorn in a world that could not possibly accept a "woman trapped in a man's body". In the end of the article they are both happy with results since she has managed to maintain an erection while fantasizing about sex with woman and had her first orgasm. She is thankful for the services she received. It reminds me of the end of 1984 when the guy is like crying because he loves big brother so much. Complete brainwashing.

After the analogy he goes on to explain how variant sexuality has been a part of human culture and society forever and that one of the greatest difficulties in treating people who experience distress regarding their gender/sexuality is that they often receive negative reactions from the majority that views alternative sexuality/gender expression as wrong. He certainly makes a point to express that he does not feel that homosexuality et al. are in any way inherently wrong, only that tfor those who wish to change their sexuality/gender expression that behavioral psychology is capable of doing so.

In the end he summarizes that as a behavioral psychologist he believes that:
1) homosexuality is a learned behavior
2) sexuality can be altered proper reinforcment
3) a transsexual is a homosexual person who is attracted to heterosexual people of the same sex and averse to persons of the opposite sex / homosexuals of the same sex.

Number 3 I found to be EXTREMELY ignorant and th major fallacy of this entire dabacle.

As a Buddhist, I do not believe in any inherent attribute of any phenomena. This includes gender and sexuality. I do agree that through behavior (actions, speech, thought) gender expression and sexuality evolve over time (in this life and in prior). This is literally the law of karma. That one's actions lead to fruition in the form of the aggregates. However, the Buddha states that none of the aggregates can be altered through force of will. If they could be altered I could think "make my body into a woman's body" and it would be so. Or I could think "make my gender a man's gender" and it would be so. Neither of these things are possible.

My personal definition of a transsexual is someone whose body (form) is incongruent with their habituation/inclination (mental formations) regarding gender. Specifically in regards to one's body. Whether or not someone sits with their ankles crossed and talks with their hands has nothing to do with the fact that they have a penis and should instead have a vagina. I have plenty of stereotypical "masculine" tendencies and habits. I spent my entire life hanging out with boys and being treated like a boy. I received positive reinforcment for acting like other boys and negative reinforcment for acting "like a girl". However, I still feel like my body is wrong. I still want to transition.

I think that there is definitely a possibility that there are some people who identify as transsexual who are not in fact transsexual but are instead confused about their sexuality or possibly suffering from some other mental disorder (such as OCD). And for these people, behavioral analysis may be effective for treatment. However, in these cases, their understanding of feminimity and womanhood is very superficial. These are the type of people that are like "Of course I'm a woman, I like pink, and ponies, and skirts, and makeup". They base their sense of gender on stereotypical effeminate behavior and tendencies (all of which are indeed learned behavior). And they use that as evidence for transitioning physical sexes.

For me, I like some girly things, because I do. It has next to nothing to do with the fact that my body is not right. My face and height and hands and hips and chest and hair and genitals and skin is all wrong. It is not congruent with the way my brain works. My brain expects a vagina but discovers a penis. That is why I have dysphoria. Everything else is just a symptom of that condition. I want to be able to do girly things freely because I don't think it's fair that other girls get to but not me. But becasue my body is male, it can only be expected that I act like a boy. I have only recently begun embracing more feminine behavior, something I repressed my entire life.

One of the things that worries me the most about this whole thing is that my professor is a very important member of the psychology department at my university. He manages the graduate program. He is going to be the major person I will be going to for my recomendation into graduate school. I don't think that he would be the type to discriminate, but who knows. I have been surprised by people's behavior in the past.

There's not really anything I can do about it, of course. He has a PhD and has been workign in the field of psychology for over 50 years. He is obviously a very intelligent, very hardworking, and honestly seems like a very nice person. The only part of the course material I took objection to was this article. I'm just hoping that come a year from now, when I'm pushing for full time and getting ready for ffs, that he doesn't treat me like a second rate citizen or try to stifle my education or professional success because he feels my course of treatment is incorrect.

I guess I'm just going to have to ace everything his course throws at me. It may be unfortunate, but the fact of the matter is that I will have to prove myself even more than some of the other students simply because of my condition. It's a good thing I'm a genius. lol Roar!

Comments

• "I guess I'm just going to have to ace everything his course throws at me."

Good attitude. Maybe you can test the waters or have a talk with him? If he is 'against' you I feel that is unprofessional of him, but if he is tenured there is very little you can do about it. But I would confront him so you know which way the wind is blowing; you can transfer to another school if need be.

• Oh dear. Are you going to have to regurgitate on tests his beliefs about "treating" transsexuals? Would you be able to do that in an unattached way, just regarding it as something you have to do to get through the course and move on? Maybe it won't be a focus in the course, maybe it won't come up again (hope, hope). How much power might this guy have over you career-wise? Are you working on a Psych degree, where you'd have to get a letter of recommendation from him for jobs?

Last we heard, you had a full-time job as a lawyer. Could you briefly bring us up to date (you left the job and decided to go back to school)?
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    "In the end he summarizes that as a behavioral psychologist he believes that:
    1) homosexuality is a learned behavior"

People, educated people no less, still believe/teach that? Won't there be other people opposing his views? Can you research/quote other academic sources?
  • Ask him how a homosexual "learns" to be gay. I sure didn't!

Having a PhD and working in the field for 50 years doesn't mean he's right - or that he's is necessarily smart. You can get a doctorate based on almost anything. In Nazi Germany, many learned scientists were more than willing to go along with the race theories of Hitler. Some of them may have seemed nice, but were they right?

No.

• John Watson and B F Skinner's theories can be applied to some situations, but not all. Some things in human nature are learned, and can be changed. But sexuality? Your Professer seems a little full of his work?
    How would he explain the "Baby Bruce" Experiment that ended in suiside?
  • I am a recovering behaviorist. I used to believe that people came into the world as a "blank slate" and that the environment shaped them into a person...
    Then I had children and realized that most of what we are comes "factory equipped". I have worked as a behavior analyst for over 30 years and many of the behavioral principles are very helpful, but they don't account for everything.
  • ^ Agree
  • So you've got a nutty Professor. I had a few of those in my college days working to get that Psychology Degree. Even worse than the diehard Behaviorists are the ones who refuse to give up Freud and Psychotherapy as the useless wastes of time they have proven to be.

All Barlow did was show that you can train someone to mimic accepted "male gender" behavior, and learn to tell people what they want to hear. Every followup study shows a "cured" person who continues to have gender and other social issues with society.

But you are faced with a Professor and need to do what he expects to get a grade. Then on to the next wacko with a degree and tenure.
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    Even worse than the diehard Behaviorists are the ones who refuse to give up Freud and Psychotherapy as the useless wastes of time they have proven to be.
    You must be talking about psychotherapy in a very narrow sense of the word.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

People, educated people no less, still believe/teach that? Won't there be other people opposing his views? Can you research/quote other academic sources?
    Are you saying that there are no people who learned to be gay?

• I am a recovering behaviorist. I used to believe that people came into the world as a "blank slate" and that the environment shaped them into a person...
    Then I had children and realized that most of what we are comes "factory equipped". I have worked as a behavior analyst for over 30 years and many of the behavioral principles are very helpful, but they don't account for everything.
    I love this!

• SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    edited January 2012
    There is also no scientific consensus about the causes of homosexuality, as far as I know it is thought to come about as in the interplay of biology and influence of environment, I guess scientists would put more or less emphasis on one aspect, but saying it is all learned seems to be an extreme and unsupported position, likewise claiming is it all down to biological factors.
    There is also no scientific consensus about the causes of homosexuality, as far as I know it is thought to come about as in the interplay of biology and influence of environment, I guess scientists would put more or less emphasis on one aspect, but saying it is all learned seems to be an extreme and unsupported position, likewise claiming is it all down to biological factors.
    That I can agree with.

• Even worse than the diehard Behaviorists are the ones who refuse to give up Freud and Psychotherapy as the useless wastes of time they have proven to be.
    You must be talking about psychotherapy in a very narrow sense of the word.

I was talking about classical transference talk therapy where all your problems are supposed to be due to repressed memories of early childhood trauma, and any insistance on the patient's part that these did not occur is seen as resistance and denial, and that our behavior is held captive to a vast sea of unconscious impulses. It took therapy a lot of years to reach the conclusion that sometimes a coincidence is just a coincidence and a cigar is just a cigar.
    edited January 2012

@vinlyn Yes. If you have learned/found out differently, then make your point. I don't have a problem with that. I am completely on the fringes of this life style and just adhere to common sense and whatever else makes up a modern person's point of view.

@vinlyn Yes. If you have learned/found out differently, then make your point. I don't have a problem with that. I am completely on the fringes of this life style and just adhere to common sense and whatever else makes up a modern person's point of view.
    I kinda thought I had made the point...but if I haven't I will with one word: me.

@vinlyn you said earlier "Are you saying that there are no people who learned to be gay?" and explained:

I kinda thought I had made the point...but if I haven't I will with one word: me.

I wonder if there is a misunderstanding here... The professor, as I see it, claims that being gay is a "learned behavior" that you can, if you don't like it, Unlearn... I disagree. You are what you are, from birth, and that is that and it's OK.

Some people don't recognize that they are gay, but once they understand their true nature, can learn to live the way they were meant to, and ditch learned behavior that did not reflect their true nature. So, yes, in that case you need to learn to be yourself as a gay person.

But, I am quite sure the prof wasn't referring to that situation.

@possibilities: I'm not clear. Are you asking me a question?
    @vinlyn -- no, I thought there was a misunderstanding and I tried to clear it up, but if we're going to run around in circles or don't understand each other, It's best to just leave it be.... it's OK :-) Best wishes!
  • I feel that habituation and inclination (mental fabrications) lay the framework for a person's gender and sexuality. How the person eventually develops their mode of expressing their gender and sexuality is learned behavior developed through reinforcement.

So a person may be born with the inclinination to be aversive to self-masculinity in their appearance, mental effluents, etc while at the same time feeling reinforced by self-feminimity. Whether or not a person is averse or attracted to any stimulus is dependent upon the aggregate of sensation and is determined as a fruition of karma.

The buddha states that none of the aggreagates can be wholly altered by force of will since if that were the case, the aggregates could be ascertained as "self". In the same way that I cannot say "Make my form into the form of a woman" and have it be so, I also cannot say "make my inclinations that of a man" or "make my sensations that of a man". So instead I accept the things that are unalterable and alter what I can in order to find a modicum of congruence.

I do feel thatfor some people, the behaviorist method of treatment could be effective, but that it would be extremely rare and would require a very skilled psychologist. I think it's a better idea to advocate the rights of lgbt people and focus attention on creating an atmostphere of acceptance and love in the general community instead of practicing complicated reinforcement to try and alter the "abnormal" mental inclinations of transgender and homosexual people.
  • @Talisman I totally agree with the last paragraph