Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Banned Educational Mormon Cartoon

ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
edited January 2012 in Faith & Religion
I knew a little about this religion before watching this video. It is an educational cartoon about the Mormon religion. Now, is there anybody who is either mormon or knows somebody well who is to say how correct this video actually is?

Comments

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Well, the part about black people is true:

"And [God] had caused the cursing to come upon them, yea, even a sore cursing, because of their iniquity. For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people, the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them. And thus saith the Lord God; I will cause that they shall be loathsome unto thy people, save they shall repent of their iniquities." (2 Nephi 5:21, The Book of Mormon)
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Also, from from wikipedia:
    "Though he allowed others to heft the box, he said that the angel had forbidden him to show the plates to anyone until they had been translated from their original "reformed Egyptian" language. Smith dictated a translation using a seer stone in the bottom of a hat, which he placed over his face to view the words written within the stone. Smith published the translation in 1830 as the Book of Mormon."

I had actually heard this part before but thought it sounded too outlandish to be true... hrm.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    ...... save they shall repent of their iniquities." (2 Nephi 5:21, The Book of Mormon)
    If they 'shall repent of their iniquities' do they become white again....? :rolleyes:

wonder what MLK would make of that one?
    "Though he allowed others to heft the box, he said that the angel had forbidden him to show the plates to anyone until they had been translated from their original "reformed Egyptian" language. Smith dictated a translation using a seer stone in the bottom of a hat, which he placed over his face to view the words written within the stone. Smith published the translation in 1830 as the Book of Mormon."

I had actually heard this part before but thought it sounded too outlandish to be true... hrm.
    somehow, I still think it does.....

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    I think you'll find the majority of it is back by their religion. South park did a very informative episode, Its amazing what some people will believe human stupidity knows no bounds.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I think you'll find the majority of it is back by their religion. South park did a very informative episode, Its amazing what some people will believe human stupidity knows no bounds.
    True. But I don't know of a single religion that does not include some pretty outlandish beliefs.

• Thanks for the links. After commenting on this religion a while ago I realized I did not know too much about it. I knew of a few people who followed it in the UK and yes I had seen the south park episode which was actually hilarious and informative.

It is true that most, if not all religions have some outlandish beliefs, even buddhism some of the 'beliefts' are outlandish to some. But that is besides the point really, that video got banned for a reason and I was curious to know how much of it is actual fact and the mormon people actually follow.

Also, kind of off topic but in the correct category, scientology. South park also offers help with this video. This video actually makes me laugh instead of feeling rather sick.

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    True. But I don't know of a single religion that does not include some pretty outlandish beliefs.

Some more then others.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited January 2012
    In mormonism, there are indeed beliefs. I found out alot about mormonism. It is a 'beliefy' religion as I described it to my Christian friend.

For example, if you do not believe Joseph Smith was a prophet, forget it. You should probably forget it if you can't accept that there are "prophets" talking to God on this earth today in my opinion.

Intersetingly, according to linguist Noam Chomsky _prophet_ used to just mean an _intellectual_ of sorts.

When they show up in your house when you let them in. They ask you to pray to God if it's a true church and tell you you will recieve an answer. Then they return.

They believe (probably tell only members) in becoming "one with God."

They also believe that to go to the 'highest level' or 'heaven' in the 'celestial kingdom' at death, you must become worthy (having abandoned the 5 behaviours forbidden in "New Testament of Jesus Christ" by God) enough to enter a temple in Utah where you must get married to someone.

It's all part of God's and our plan: before we came to earth we lived in the spirit world where we had a council with "The Heavenly Father" to come to earth where Joseph Smith would step in for all this.
    They, indeed, do think of Joseph Smith as a true prophet. I grew up literally just over the hill (actually a drumlin) from the Joseph Smith farm in Palmyra, NY. The Sacred Grove, where Smith first was approached by God and Jesus, is located there. Hill Cumorah, where the angel Moroni supposedly gave Joseph Smith the Golden Plates, was located a couple of mile southeast of the Smith farm, and about 5 miles or so south of Palmyra. Each summer they hold a multi-night pageant on Hill Cumorah. Quite a spectacle.
    very mysterious stuff.
    (to me) lol
    very fundamentalist people I found out. You know the whole earth is 5000 years old ect. I don't know about all of them. They raise they're family I'm pretty sure to believe that if you reject it you go to Spirit Prison at death where you gotta like save yourself or have your corpse baptised or seomthing.

Strange stuff not going to disagree with anyone there.

I always forget which way it is, but the large temples have a tabernacle and a temple, and in one only Mormons can enter.

Funny story though -- I was out in Salt Lake City a few years ago and visited their several Mormon museums. I mentioned at the desk that I was from Palmyra, because I wanted to know if they had any displays particularly about my home town. As I walked through the museum, several people came up to me, quite excited that I was from Palmyra (though not Mormon ever). Just before leaving a rather old man came up and said he lived in Palmyra through his school years and beyond, and wondered if I knew a woman named Hilda Schulz. I was stunned...that was my mother, and they used to date! Small world.
    haha small world! :D
    edited January 2012
    @ThailandTom I was involved with the church and this view of Christ with the planets and everything seems totally contractiory to what I was taught.

I was taught that Jesus was _The first_ being to exist (reminds me of the story of Brahma).

Mormons have changed alot within their church throughout the years.
  • (I'm an ex-mormon) Yes, this film is pretty much true, but the issue is that the main body of the church doesn't teach a lot of these things anymore. Especially the literal sex with Mary story and super especially the multiple wives in heaven thing. It's not really an open thing.
    edited January 2012
    yeah, they told me Jesus was the first Spirit in the Spirit world. I suppose it's not contradictory if you sort of get right into it and use your imagination lol.