Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What's everyone reading?

13»

Comments

• Craig86Craig86 Explorer
    The Threefold Lotus Sutra.

And a non-Buddhist classic: The Hobbit :D (I'm making my way through the full works of Tolkien)
  • Currently:
    'The Lord of the Rings' by J.R.R. Tolkien (this seems to have become yearly reading for me in recent years, as this is like my 3rd reading of it since 2011, and, I think, my 5th overall)
    'The Glory of Their Times' by Lawrence S. Ritter
    'The Sheltering Sky' by Paul Bowles
    'The Grapes of Wrath' by John Steinbeck (2nd reading)

I think that's basically it.

• Lee82Lee82 Veteran
    Freedom in Exile; about 1/3 of the way through and finding it really interesting reading.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    "A Still Forest Pool"
  • Have been reading Noah Levine's books. "Introduction to Zen Buddhism" by Suzuki is next in my cue.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    A Short History Of Time by Stephen Hawkins.
    Well I haven't actually read it.
    It is displayed prominently on my bookcase with a bookmark one third in to create a good impression.
    I was thinking of getting the Russian translation to sit next to it unread, but I am worried that might be going too far.
    I wouldn't want folk to think I am showing off.
    nenkohai
  • chelachela Veteran
    Currently reading a small book called "The Truth of Rebirth" by Thanissaro Bhikkhu
  • Second reading of With Each & Every Breath: A Guide to Meditation, which I highly recommend. I'm going through the additional readings and talks at the end of each chapter this time, which is slow, but they make such great preliminaries to meditation sessions.
    deb2676
  • Lee82Lee82 Veteran
    Am now reading Long Walk to Freedom; Mandela's autobiography. I'm about half way through now, shortly after the formation of the MK military branch of the ANC. I have to say, from what I've read so far, I now understand the problems SA was going through at the time but Mandela himself doesn't come across as the peaceful sort. His view was that peaceful protest was only good as long as it worked tactically, if it didn't work then he would happily resort to militant methods hence the formation of the MK. I'm learning a lot from the book, about people, culture and politics. Much enjoying it and would recommend to anyone who hasn't already read it.
  • I've been reading Middlemarch by George Eliot. I'm about 3/4 of the way through.
  • Oh, gosh--I started on a book by Lex Hixon called The Mother of the Buddhas: Meditation on the Prajnaparamita Sutra and it is revelatory!

It is not exactly a translation of the 8,000 line version, but a 'contemplative expansion of forty different passages' from the text. But the book really helps vastly in understanding nonduality and emptiness, but in a way that is necessarily and intimately linked to compassion--or actually, wisdom and compassion are not two different things at all--they are one and the same expression of suchness.

The sentences are arranged in such a way that revelatory connections are made during the process of focused reading. The content isn't exactly discursive, but more intuitive. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone. Dogen can have that effect sometimes too--but I'd still say this is more approachable than Dogen (who can easily appear bewildering).

All I am saying is... wow!
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    edited April 2013
    @riverflow my "favorite" whatever-that-means version of the Diamond Sutra is a pdf I found in a big pack of "buddhism ebooks" it's by hsuan hua on BuddhaNet

Here's a link if you're interested: http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/prajparagen2.pdf

I later found Red Pine's translation through the library. Didn't really have the same oomph for me as Hsuan Hua's commentary. That is cool though that you have been going through his transcripts. Sounds like you're ready for a retreat haha :)
    riverflow
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    riverflow said:

Oh, gosh--I started on a book by Lex Hixon called The Mother of the Buddhas: Meditation on the Prajnaparamita Sutra and it is revelatory!

It is not exactly a translation of the 8,000 line version, but a 'contemplative expansion of forty different passages' from the text. But the book really helps vastly in understanding nonduality and emptiness, but in a way that is necessarily and intimately linked to compassion--or actually, wisdom and compassion are not two different things at all--they are one and the same expression of suchness.

The sentences are arranged in such a way that revelatory connections are made during the process of focused reading. The content isn't exactly discursive, but more intuitive. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone. Dogen can have that effect sometimes too--but I'd still say this is more approachable than Dogen (who can easily appear bewildering).

All I am saying is... wow!

Having just seen your message, yes. What you say makes sense. Words bubble up on and about it from habit, what is alluded to is nonconceptual, like taking a swim instead of just thinking about it.

Wisdom and Compassion are indeed the same! Very good very good! Hugs and high fives all around :D:D

riverflow
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Currently reading "What the Buddha Never Taught" by Tim Ward. Not sure what I think about his take on Thai monastic life at Wat Pah Nanachat... and maybe that's a good thing.
  • Thank you @sova - I've bookmarked the translation and commentary on the DIamond Sutra. I've read Red Pine's (which is good, but doesn't seem as focused as his book on the Heart Sutra) and I have yet to read Thich Nhat Hanh's commentary on the Diamond Sutra. Truly wonder-full!
  • I'm reading Dreams from Bunker Hill by John Fante (fiction) and slowly making my way through Geshe Kelsang Gyatso's Joyful Path of Good Fortune, as well as his free ebook Modern Buddhism: The Path of Compassion and Wisdom, which is much faster reading.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    Just started, "A Manual of Abhidhamma" by Venerable Nàrada Mahà Thera.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    Finished The Magic Mountain and started on In the Spirit of Happiness.
  • chelachela Veteran
    Savor
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    edited April 2013
    In Science fiction:
    Now I'm reading the Honor Harrington Space Opera Series. That you can get all free digital copy without DRM from Baen Books
    http://www.baen.com/

In Buddhism:
    I just get the book "Buddha's Brain" really good book about neuroscience and Buddhist.
    http://www.rickhanson.net/writings/buddhas-brain

Also was reading the Diamond Sutra and Heart Sutra with commentaries.
  • The Picture Of Dorian Gray again as I watched the movie, was reminded that the book is far better and so I am reading it :)
    riverflow