Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dharma and doing nothing

JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
edited January 2012 in Arts & Writings
http://www.tricycle.com/interview/awareness-itself
"I really love to be in retreat. I have never done more than six months at once, because unfortunately I don’t have time. Once I was doing retreat up in a cave, and when I noticed that the time was up and I had to go down, I really felt like crying. It was really terrible. I just sat there day and night; I didn’t even sleep. I postponed leaving for three days. And then after that I postponed leaving for another two days. And then I postponed for another day. Even then I didn’t want to come down, but I had to. Maybe it’s an attachment, which is no good, but I felt that way."
What is the essence of Buddha-dharma? What is most important to do? There are usually too many things to do, so many practices and much work also. Why should I give you more to do?

I don’t think you need to go around so much to so many different teachers and try to compare all the different teachers and teachings. People today seem to do that a lot, and it often gives rise to doubt and confusion. The teachings are simple; it is important to learn a little and to put them into practice.

What I would say is the essence of dharma is not to harm anybody. That’s it! Not to harm anybody actually includes everything. Of course I also want students to be happy. Genuinely happy, unconditionally happy. That’s inner happiness, regardless of material gain or achievement or outer conditions.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I'm fond of that....
  • Vincenzi used to sum it up with simple elegance: ahimsa.
  • when I was 12 I went to camp for the first time. A week.

The first day the girls in my cabin made my life hell by taking my underwear out and wetting it then putting it back in the drawer.

Do you know what it's like to wear wet underwear for days?

I cried the first two days and wanted to go home...

Then I cried the last day, because I didn't want to leave...

Strange...