Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Cutting through spiritual materialism

shanyinshanyin Novice YoginSault Ontario Veteran
edited January 2012 in Arts & Writings
In his video Trungpa says "you think you have something to gain from it (spirituality)" and your supposed to see through that.

When I started a long time a go which I now really don't practice buddhism, I was in high school and I just tried to memorize the 4 noble truths (with eight factors) and I don't think I had a very grounded understanding of what spirituality really is but thought I was into the spiritualism.

Now sometimes I do my meditation and feel like I'm trying to gain something.

His talks turned me on to his book "cutting through spiritual materialism"...

has anyone read it and/or recommend it?

Comments

• shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    roughly what he said.
  • Is it wrong to want or desire perspective? To desire a peaceful spiritual life?

Is it wrong to want the good over evil.

• shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    If I could send you a like right now I would but I'm on a different OS.

My answer would be no.

I think I should have posted a bit differently about why I am interested int he book but thank you I think I see your point which may be enough.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2012
    Perhaps the idea is more to be where you are rather than get somewhere. Trungpas main message is to open to what is here. I think his point is that we are not present and instead are savoring thoughts of the future or past.

One of the lojong slogans is 'abandon hope of fruition'..
  • Ohhh! I see...thank you for explaining.
    (eeik, novice)

Yes
    Perhaps the idea is more to be where you are rather than get somewhere. Trungpas main message is to open to what is here. I think his point is that we are not present and instead are savoring thoughts of the future or past.

One of the lojong slogans is 'abandon hope of fruition'..