Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What do these "titles" really mean?

edited March 2006 in Buddhism Basics
There are some titles that some Buddhists have, but I am not really sure what some of them mean. For example, I see "Rinpoche" as a last name for a lot of Buddhists. What does Rinpoche mean?

Also, I know there are several different monks...I know ZM on here is a monk, and so is Palzang, but I think they are different. How does one become a monk, exactly? Also, Lama is another one. Or are Monk and Lama the same thing??

Am I forgetting any other titles? Maybe "title" isn't the right word, but I couldn't think of what other word to use.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    Rinpoche (pronounced Rinpochey) means 'precious', lama means Ocen, as in ocean of vast and limitless wisdom...

At least, thus have i heard...

Palzang is a Monk and so is ZM but they're from different traditions.

And I don't know if palzang wears see-thru' black dresses like ZM....
  • edited March 2006
    I like how I say it better, Rinposh (with a long 'o') LOL
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Yogamama,

You'll find a great explanation of Rinpoche in The Tibetan Book of living and Dying. In fact, you're probably reading it at this very moment. LOL! Like Fede said, it means "Precious One" and it is a very high honour to be called Rinpoche. I don't know much about it but I think lama means teacher. I didn't know about the Ocean part Fede told you about. That's cool.

Genryu is a monk in the Japanese Soto Zen tradition and Palzang is a monk in the Tibetan tradition. Becoming a monk is different in each tradition and the differences are really interesting. (Well, to me. They may be boring to others.) I don't have any links for you but you could probably do a Google search.

Does anyone know if you have to be a monk to be a lama? No, wait...I think Genryu said there were laypeople who were lamas. Is that possible or am I dreaming? I mean, I know I'm dreaming but ...anyway, good questions, Yogamama. I hope somebody can clear all this up for us. There are a lot of titles. I want to know what they all mean.

Brigid
  • edited March 2006
    I think you can be a lama and not be a monk. I am thinking of Lama Surya Das. I do not believe he is a monk.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    Yes, he's a monk...Just like theDalai Lama is... he always calls himself 'a simple Monk'....
  • edited March 2006
    oh! THanks, I did not know that....
  • edited March 2006
    SILLY ME! I DID know that.....that explains the years in retreat.....:buck: