Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Compassion

I now compassion is the desire for all beings to be free from suffering. I understand this. But what methods does one go about doing this?

Does this mean that we try to "convert" or teach others the buddhist way? If so, that has always been one of, among many other aspects of most religions like christianity that I have always despised. I've read many things, in this forum and other places, that many buddhists don't promote or advertise themselves as buddhists, so I would think that this in fact isn't what is meant by this.

From what I undestand, to end suffering is to end cyclic existence and become enlightened. What can be done for others to help them without being the same as one of those (insert religion here) that are always telling you what you should believe and that the only way to "salvation" is through worshipping their god?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    Buddhism is not about conversion... it never has been. Buddhism is about Choice and evaluation of the Choice in front of us.

The best and most effective way you could demonstrate how you yourself are Living the Life you see as your Path, is to demonstrate - through your Thoughts, Words and deeds - just how serene and content you are.

The Dalai Lama has always said that his Religion is Kindness. He has written a book, titled 'A Policy of Kindness'....
    The Life of a Buddhist is not based on restrictive draconian Rules, Regulations and strict governing Laws, with Retribution for those who do not toe the line.
    Buddhism is about self evaluation, and understanding the in-depth message of the Four Noble truths, the Guidance and Teachings of the Eightfold path, and the observance as far as possible of the Five Precepts... But everything is evaluated and decided by You.

The Dalai Lama also said (bless him!) That the purpose of Life is to BE Happy and to make others Happy.

In that order.

Unless we have first come to terms with ourselves, dealt with ourselves in a Loving, Compassionate and Accepting way, we cannot hope to do that for others.
    Buddhism is the great self improvement plan. But it's not complicated, and begins with simply putting one foot down and walking the path. There is no Goal, no Destination, no Aim. It is, simply put, to Be.
  • edited March 2006
    Thank you Federica for the response. I am not saying that I believe conversion to be what is meant. I still, however, don't understand what it means to help other end suffering. Please bear with me, as I know I am very ignorant to many things, but that is the question the pops into my head almost daily while I study.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Hi, S of L.

Welcome!!

I study and practice Tibetan Buddhism primarily so that's where my my response comes from.

What I think you may be describing is bodhicitta, or the aspiration to perfect our ability to serve all beings. One who has achieved it is a bodhisattva. In other words, bodhicitta is the desire to reach enlightenment in order to be able to help all beings. A good analogy would be to picture all sentient beings struggling to stay afloat in a vast ocean. It's very difficult for someone who is struggling to help another who is struggling. Bodhicitta is the desire to learn how to swim strongly not just to be able to get to shore yourself but to help all the other sentient beings get to shore as well. But you're jumping ahead here. Let's start at the beginning; compassion.

Your original question was:
    I now compassion is the desire for all beings to be free from suffering. I understand this. But what methods does one go about doing this?
    I'm going to use one of His Holiness the Dalai Lama's books, "An Open Heart: Practicing Compassion in Everyday Life" to help shed some light.

In chapter 7 he writes:

"What is compassion? Compassion is the wish that others be free of suffering. It is by means of compassion that we aspire to attain enlightenment. It is compassion that inspires us to engage in the virtuous practices that lead to Buddhahood. We must therefore devote ourselves to developing compassion."

In this chapter HH the Dalai Lama describes a number of practices we can use to develop a compassionate heart. Keep in mind that at this stage you are working on yourself, developing yourself. You are not leading others to enlightenment because you haven't reached enlightenment yourself. When you do you will be like the strong swimmer but at this point you are still struggling to stay afloat except now you have access to swimming lessons, which are the practices you can use to develop a compassionate heart.

The first practice HH the Dalai Lama describes is empathy.

"In the first step toward a compassionate heart, we must develop our empathy or closeness to others. We must also recognize the gravity of their misery. The closer we are to a person, the more unbearable we find that person's suffering. The closeness I speak of is not a physical proximity, nor need it be an emotional one. It is a feeling of responsibility, of concern for a person...
    It is also important that we reflect upon the kindness of others. ...We must recognize how our fortune is really dependent upon the cooperation and contributions of others. Every aspect of our present well-being is due to hard work on the part of others. As we look around us at the buildings we live and work in, the roads we travel, the clothes we wear, or the food we eat, we must acknowledge that all are provided by others. None of these would exist for us to enjoy and make use of were it not for the kindness of so many people unknown to us. As we contemplate in this manner, our appreciation for others grows, as does our empathy and closeness to them."

He goes on to describe other practical ways in which we can develop compassion like recognizing the suffering of others, developing loving-kindness and meditating on compassion.

The Dalai Lama has said that it is best for people stay and practice within their own tradition, whether it be Christianity, Islam, Judaism or any other religion. He says this to underscore Buddhism's respect for other religious traditions as well as to illustrate that Buddhism is not an evangelical religion. Buddhists don't convert for the very simple reason that people must come to Buddhism in their own time and for their own reasons. It's a very personal journey and not to be taken up lightly.

So you don't have to be concerned with "saving" others. You have to be concerned with developing your own heart and your own mind and that is what the Dharma is for. Start there and follow The Noble Eightfold Path which will bring you to where you want to go. Bodhicitta will arise by itself as you learn about and practice Buddhism.

I hope this helps.

Brigid
  • edited March 2006
    There is only one thing that I am sure of in this world: that when interacting with other beings one should always come from a point of compassion. Simply be, and cultivate compassion, and you can't go wrong.
  • edited March 2006
    What a great rule to live by, harlan! :)
  • edited March 2006
    Thank you very much Brigid. I am actually in the middle of reading that book! That is the very chapter I finished when I posted that question. I very much enjoy his teachings, but that was one point that I was not clear on. Thank you for you explanation.
  • edited March 2006
    It might help to point out that compassion is not a feeling, not something one 'has'. It's the active manifestation of Prajna or awakened mind. The two are inseperable.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited March 2006
    student of life,

Here are two excerpts from The Four Sublime States:
    "Here, monks, a disciple dwells pervading one direction with his heart filled with compassion, likewise the second, the third and the fourth direction; so above, below and around; he dwells pervading the entire world everywhere and equally with his heart filled with compassion, abundant, grown great, measureless, free from enmity and free from distress." - DN 13
    The world suffers. But most men have their eyes and ears closed. They do not see the unbroken stream of tears flowing through life; they do not hear the cry of distress continually pervading the world. Their own little grief or joy bars their sight, deafens their ears. Bound by selfishness, their hearts turn stiff and narrow. Being stiff and narrow, how should they be able to strive for any higher goal, to realize that only release from selfish craving will effect their own freedom from suffering?

It is compassion that removes the heavy bar, opens the door to freedom, makes the narrow heart as wide as the world. Compassion takes away from the heart the inert weight, the paralyzing heaviness; it gives wings to those who cling to the lowlands of self.

Through compassion the fact of suffering remains vividly present to our mind, even at times when we personally are free from it. It gives us the rich experience of suffering, thus strengthening us to meet it prepared, when it does befall us.

Compassion reconciles us to our own destiny by showing us the life of others, often much harder than ours.

Behold the endless caravan of beings, men and beasts, burdened with sorrow and pain! The burden of every one of them, we also have carried in bygone times during the unfathomable sequence of repeated births. Behold this, and open your heart to compassion!

And this misery may well be our own destiny again! He who is without compassion now, will one day cry for it. If sympathy with others is lacking, it will have to be acquired through one's own long and painful experience. This is the great law of life. Knowing this, keep guard over yourself!

Beings, sunk in ignorance, lost in delusion, hasten from one state of suffering to another, not knowing the real cause, not knowing the escape from it. This insight into the general law of suffering is the real foundation of our compassion, not any isolated fact of suffering.

Hence our compassion will also include those who at the moment may be happy, but act with an evil and deluded mind. In their present deeds we shall foresee their future state of distress, and compassion will arise.

The compassion of the wise man does not render him a victim of suffering. His thoughts, words and deeds are full of pity. But his heart does not waver; unchanged it remains, serene and calm. How else should he be able to help?

May such compassion arise in our hearts! Compassion that is sublime nobility of heart and intellect which knows, understands and is ready to help.

Compassion that is strength and gives strength: this is highest compassion.

And what is the highest manifestation of compassion?

To show to the world the path leading to the end of suffering, the path pointed out, trodden and realized to perfection by Him, the Exalted One, the Buddha.

:)

Jason
  • edited March 2006
    Brigid and Elohim...
    thanks for those posts. I appreciate having those readings Elohim, in a more formal statement. And Brigid, you explain it so well....The swimming analogy is great!
  • edited March 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    Hi, S of L.

You have to be concerned with developing your own heart and your own mind and that is what the Dharma is for.

Brigid

Is there any particular version of the Dharma that could be recommended? I haven't attempted to read this yet, just mostly introductions to buddhism.
  • edited March 2006
    S of L,

WHen I first started, I found this to be helpful 'Treasury of Truth Illustrated Dharma' at www.buddhanet.new/dhammapada.

Marybeth
  • edited March 2006
    S of L,

WHen I first started, I found this to be helpful 'Treasury of Truth Illustrated Dharma' at www.buddhanet.new/dhammapada.

Marybeth

Thanks, but for whatever reason I can't open that link.
  • edited March 2006
    hhmmm. Try going to Buddhanet.com. It is listed there. I copy and pasted the site when I was on it...
    http://www.buddhanet.net/dhammapada/index.htm

Sorry if it doesn't work...
  • edited March 2006
    hhmmm. Try going to Buddhanet.com. It is listed there. I copy and pasted the site when I was on it...
    http://www.buddhanet.net/dhammapada/index.htm

Sorry if it doesn't work...

That worked. Thank you.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Thank you very much Brigid. I am actually in the middle of reading that book! That is the very chapter I finished when I posted that question. I very much enjoy his teachings, but that was one point that I was not clear on. Thank you for you explanation.

I had that feeling when I read your question. Isn't that weird? You're most welcome and I'm glad I didn't botch it too badly because I'm still new too.

Regarding your question about the Dharma; the Dharma is the term used to describe the teachings of Buddhism in their entirety (pretty much, I think). It's not a book or any writing in particular but the whole kit and caboodle. You've probably already figured that out by now and you also probably have a better definition than I'm giving you at the moment. But I thought I'd give you an answer just in case you were still wondering.

That was a great question, by the way. It takes a while before things start to become more understandable. Sometimes you'll be reading something and it hardly makes any sense at all. Then, a few weeks later, you come across the same topic and all of a sudden you actually understand it. Be patient and confident in yourself and you'll be riding the Dharma wave in no time! LOL! (Will the water analogies ever stop? :grin: )

Sharpiegirl,

Thanks for the compliment! Made my day. I'm sure I borrowed the analogy but don't tell anyone, K? :buck:

Love,
    Brigid
  • edited March 2006
    Dharma can also mean truth or thing, just to confuse things.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Oh, good! I knew I was giving an incomplete definition there but couldn't think of what it was I was missing. It's been bugging me all night. Did I bother to look it up? Noooo! Too lazy. I was hoping someone would define it more fully. Isn't that awful? Thanks Genryu!

(sorry)

LOL!

Brigid