Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Childrens Books

MagwangMagwang Veteran
edited March 2006 in Buddhism Basics
Children's books on Buddhist topics are hard to find.

Here's 2 books that my 2-year old likes to read:

Zen Shorts, by Jon J. Muth
http://www.scholastic.com/familymatters/read/all/storyhour/zenshorts.htm
zenshorts.jpg

Each Breath a Smile, by Thich Nhat Hanh
http://www.parallax.org/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=BOOKEBAS
front.jpg
::
Can anyone else recommend some good Buddhism-themed books for children?

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Unfortunately, I can't.

I've never tried!

But, I'm wondering how digestable a book on Zen will be for kids when some of that stuff boggles my mind.

-bf
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited March 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    But, I'm wondering how digestable a book on Zen will be for kids when some of that stuff boggles my mind.
    That's the beauty of it!

Neither of these books ever mentions the words Zen, Buddhism or any other Buddhist concepts.

Zen Shorts is about a panda that befriends neighborhood children and tells them 3 stories (based on Zen classics) about generosity, luck and anger.

Every Breath a Smile is probably the simplest description of how to meditate I've ever read. Kids will learn how to calm themselves down.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Probably right up my alley, then.

-bf
  • edited March 2006
    I have Zen Shorts that I read to my first graders. they love it! It's a great way to start up character ed.!
  • edited March 2006
    Hmm anyone know of any other books out there as well? My daughter (10 years old) has become curious about all the reading and studying I've been doing and wants to read some for herself. I/she will definitely check out the two already mentioned.