Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hatsune Miku and the 2012 Olympics? Really?

ZaylZayl Veteran
edited January 2012 in Buddhism Today
http://www.the-top-tens.com/lists/singers-perform-london-olympics-opening-ceremonies.asp

This rumor (and that is all this is, a rumor) is abound on the interweb and has caught my eye. Apparently a major polling site found here is running a poll on who people would want to see sing at the Summer 2012 Olympics, taking place in London. This site as far as I can tell has no actual ties to the Olympics themselves, however the numbers are still quite surprising, especially given that the polling site is not a Japanese poll board or even a J-pop poll board. It is just your random, run of the mill poll with many, many choices. What is even more unusual is that Miku is beating out (by getting and holding first place by a wide margin) Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga, who got places 10 and 9 respectively.

For those of you not in the know, Hatsune Miku is a Vocaloid, one of the different characters and voices from that program. A completely virtual singer, with songs made by her very own fans. Average, unknown people make these songs and put them on the web, and they gain popularity through their own merit. Miku has also proven to be quite effective when giving live performances

I myself find it highly unlikely that Miku or any other Vocaloid will actually perform at this year's Olympics. Maybe in the future, or maybe if the Olympics were in Japan, but we have no way of knowing for now. However, I do think it would be very interesting not to mention a huge and unexpected change of pace. Something like a well coordinated Vocaloid performance would have an impact that would be rather memorable and eye catching. Vocaloids like Miku are only getting more and more popular (with her leading the craze) and all you have to do is look at some of our commercials to actually see them making appearances, not to mention that you have probably even heard them before without knowing it.

Miku in some TV ads for Toyota that aired in the U.S.

And just to give you an idea of what a live performance by a purely digital performer looks like, I refer you to the vid below. Now this Vocaloid is not Miku, but rather one of the later models named Luka, but you know, the other ones need exposure too.

Comments

• Wow i wasn't aware of this!
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    Haha, yeah. I'm also interested to see how the world at large would react to this type of technology. I'd also like to see how far it can advance in the coming years, it'd also be nice to see some different languages used in them, aside from only Japanese. Still, even if I can't understand the lyrics without subtitles, and many of the songs I don't quite care for (though some are actually quite good) I'm fascinated by this sort of thing all the same.
  • I saw this awhile ago, and thought it different. (here is the nerd in me) I actually enjoy this music and have some on my iPod. I just live listening to music in other languages and find it catchy even if I don't know what's being said.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    I saw this awhile ago, and thought it different. (here is the nerd in me) I actually enjoy this music and have some on my iPod. I just live listening to music in other languages and find it catchy even if I don't know what's being said.
    Oh no, I find a lot of the music enjoyable too, but there seems to be no middle ground. Either I love the song, or I downright hate the song. There is no middle of the road "meh" kinda songs, which is alright I guess, I suppose it makes it easier for me to pick out the ones I'll never get tired of. And just between you and me?

Miku is alright, but Luka is where it's at. :P

• Miku is alright, but Luka is where it's at. :P
    I actually havent seen Luka, I will look it up though. I like Kagamine Rin and Len. I have Butterfly on your Right Shoulder and it's by far the best I've heard so far.
    ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_gBSWE_KYE&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • Huh seems the link doesn't work. Just look for the video from the LA concert.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Interesting stuff! Thanks for sharing!
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    Kagamine Rin and Len are pretty good I admit. But to me Luka has a much better voice, though not nearly as many songs.

Again though, I honestly doubt we'll see a vocaloid performance at the Olympics, but it would really be something. Maybe if we have an Olympic performance director who is a fan of futurism, maybe.