Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Destiny

I had the impression (probably wrong) that most buddhist philosophy is somewhat uninterested with ideas of fate, destiny or predestination. I was wondering how these ideas fit into buddhist philosophy. Has it already been determined somewhere that we will or won't achieve enlightenment in this life? Similarly was it inevitable and inescaple that I made this post today?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    Speaking for myself, I am aware in my discoveries of Buddhism that I have karma as a result of past actions that demonstrates what or who I am today.... and I develop and improve myself through Study, Effort, Mindfulness and Meditation, in order to produce good karma and lead a worthwhile life, but Now.
    The fact that you made a post today was a matter of choice, not destiny.
    There is no point being concerned with the Future. It does not exist.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I don't believe that Buddhism teaches any sort of predesination. Just the opportunity to become "awakened".

One person's may be a little more difficult than anothers because of past karma but...

Just like with Saul of Tarsus (aka Apostle Paul) - even though he had persecuted and killed Jews - he was still called to be an Apostle.

There are stories in Buddha's teachings of people with just as much past karma who went on to achieve great things or various levels of enlightenment.

-bf
  • edited March 2006
    I consider myself Buddhist and I no longer trouble myself with ideas of fate and destiny. I simply see it as frutiless.

As has been stated, Buddhism is about opportunity and choice. It is not about converting. It is not about being dragged by the past, nor concerned with the future. Buddhism is about the here and now.

As Quai Gon Jin put it "Be mindful of the future.....though not at the expense of the moment"
  • edited March 2006
    I had the impression (probably wrong) that most buddhist philosophy is somewhat uninterested with ideas of fate, destiny or predestination. I was wondering how these ideas fit into buddhist philosophy. Has it already been determined somewhere that we will or won't achieve enlightenment in this life? Similarly was it inevitable and inescaple that I made this post today?

You're not wrong at all in that Buddhism sees both free will and predestination as delusions.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I used to believe in free will absolutely, then started to believe in conditioning more and more. And now am.