Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Proper Full Lotus Position

zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifelessin a dry wasteland Veteran
edited February 2012 in Meditation
Great video explaining proper posture that involves hip rotation instead of improperly putting strain on the knees PLUS some awesome stretches to help you get there.

krut

Comments

• sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Thank you for sharing that @zombiegirl ^^ Very cool. I have found the lotus-lunges very helpful in improving flexibility. I learned a lot of useful stretches / poses when my friend took me to a yoga class -- for any people just getting into it: above all, the most important thing is to take it slow.
  • Thanks for sharing, and I definitely agree with @sova: coming from a yoga background has helped me considerably with my form in meditation. For me they work hand in hand.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    I got a groin pull just watching that video. :-/
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I got a groin pull just watching that video. :-/
    Lol! I assure you it's not that bad. Problems come when people force themselves and try to surpass their current range of motion. Stretching should never be painful :)
    zombiegirl... you're probably correct. However, at 65 I'm quite happy that I can sit in the tailor position for up to an hour with no pain or difficulties. For me, the journey to find my meditation sitting position has ended. It gives me time for what's important (to me)... the meditation.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited February 2012
    zombiegirl... you're probably correct. However, at 65 I'm quite happy that I can sit in the tailor position for up to an hour with no pain or difficulties. For me, the journey to find my meditation sitting position has ended. It gives me time for what's important (to me)... the meditation.
    Actually, since you mentioned it, I always sit in the Burmese position and find that the most comfortable. I can do full lotus, but not comfortably for long periods of time, and in all reality, I don't actually aspire too. The reason I posted this video was because people post on here from time to time talking about knee pain/pain in general while trying to get into this position, so I thought it could be helpful for other members. I think it does a great job at explaining basics much better than words can.

I'm 26 though, and could probably make myself get used to it... but I sort of object to the idea that Full Lotus is superior, although I know some people disagree.
    edited February 2012
    [...] ... but I sort of object to the idea that Full Lotus is superior, although I know some people disagree.
    It all depends on the tradition of Buddhism you follow, doesn't it? When I travel I always seek out Buddhist temples and either partake in their weekly meditation/dharma day, or ask permission to sit to one side and meditate for awhile. While I sit, in the Japanese temples the members kneel. In the Thai temples they sit, but mostly shift from a cross-legged position to one where their legs are out to one side. Etc. Depending on their country of origin, I've seen pretty much every variation of sitting and/or kneeling.

I'm assuming since The Buddha was from India, the full lotus position has taken on a persona of its own. I suppose had he been born in Japan we'd all be talking about how "superior" kneeling is.