Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Giving Thanks

edited March 2006 in Buddhism Today
I think this is Buddhist related.....:scratch: If not, I apologize.

Do any of you give thanks before meals? I do this myself, but would like to teach my daughter about this. So I am trying to think of what to tell her, and what to have the two of us say before meals so that she understands. She is 3 years old now. Any good suggestions?

Namaste,
Kim

Comments

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Yes, I've read something about this but I can't remember the details. This doesn't apply to you but I give thanks when eating meat to the animal. I don't know how this goes for vegetarian food except maybe giving thanks to the farmers and the rest of the people involved in getting it to your home and on to your plate. I hope I'm not too far off base.

Love,
    Brigid
  • edited March 2006
    Soto Meal Chants

(ONLY AT BREAKFAST)

Ino: This food comes from the efforts
    of all sentient beings past and present,
    and its ten advantages give us physical
    and spiritual well-being,
    and promote pure practice.

[ONLY AT LUNCH]

Ino: We offer this meal of three virtues and six tastes to the
    Buddha, Dharma and Sangha,
    and to all life in the Dharma worlds.

[WHEN MEAL HAS BEEN SERVED]

All: First, seventy-two labors brought us this food,
    We should know how it comes to us.

Second, as we receive this offering,
    We should consider whether our virtue and practice deserve it.

Third, as we desire the natural order of mind to be free from clinging,
    We must be free from greed.

Fourth, to support our life we take this food.
    Fifth, to attain our Way we take this food.

[ONLY AT LUNCH):

All those of the spiritual worlds,
    Now I give you this offering.
    This food will pervade everywhere.

First, this food is for the Three Treasures.
    Second, it is for our teachers, parents, nation and all sentient beings.
    Third, it is for all beings in the six worlds.
    Thus, we eat this food with everyone,
    We eat to stop all evil, to practice good,
    To save all sentient beings,
    And to accomplish our Buddha Way.

[AS SERVER ENTERS WITH BOWL]

All:The water with which I wash these bowls tastes like ambrosia.
    I offer it to the various spirits to satisfy them.
    Om Makurasai Svaha!

[WHEN ALL BOWLS ARE WRAPPED]

Ino: May we exist in muddy waters with purity like a lotus.
    Thus we bow to Buddha...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    ....What? No "Bon Appetit!".....?

Thanks ZM...

have copied and pasted.... Lovely to know. :)
  • edited March 2006
    Thanks, ZM. THose are wonderful. I will be copying those and printing them. :)

Brigid...not far off base at all, actually. We said some of the things you mentioned, like giving thanks to the farmers and people that brought the food to us last night at dinner, and my daughter was so cute. At the end, she bowed and said "Namaste". It was priceless.
  • edited March 2006
    We give thanks to each moment by being truly awake. In this way we become immersed in the celebration of mealtime. The gathering of all ingredients (fresh or canned) the cooking, setting the table, eating together, and yes even the clean-up are great opportunities to just BE with everything that has come together for the celebration of eating! Even if doing the fast food thing or eating out we try to take note of all the things that have made our meal possible and remember that there are those who are not as lucky.
    Mike
  • edited March 2006
    The Five Thoughts - as used by the Order Of Buddhist Contemplatives

We must think deeply of the ways and means by which this food has come.
    We must consider our merit when accepting it.
    We must protect ourselves from error by excluding greed from our minds.
    We will eat lest we become lean and die.
    We accept this food so that we may become enlightened.
  • edited March 2006
    Thanks for that, Frizzer. And Dawn&Mike, thanks for the ideas! :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    These are all great!! I'm copying and printing all of them and putting them up in our country kitchen.

Yoga,

I can just imagine it!! How unbelievably sweet!!! What an absolute darling! I wish I could hear her little wee voice saying "Namaste" and her sweet wee blonde head bowing. She's just a joy to hear about. Thanks so much for sharing that!!

Love,
    Brigid
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I just went through this last Thanksgiving with my in-laws... some real.... Bible Thumpers.

I have to say that they took it very well.

They're always saying a Christian grace before meals with family members and I was asked to say grace this time. Something I've done quite a bit in the past with my Christian upbringing - but it's not something I can do in a Christian way anymore.

But, that doesn't mean I'm not thankful. I truly am thankful for many wonderful things in my life.

I don't know who I'm thankful for - and it doesn't really concern me. I'm thankful for the health of my loved ones. I was thankful for the wonderful meal that we were able to prepare and share with loved ones. I was thankful for the time that I was able to share and spend with my loved ones.

I just wasn't thankful to a supreme being - I was thankful for everything that had happened to make that event happen.

-bf