Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does Law of Attraction in the Thinking Promote Craving and Suffering?

edited February 2012 in General Banter
I noticed that the text in "the secret" encourages desire as opposed to eliminating it.

What do you think? Is it a healthy philosophy or is it in utter opposition to buddhist thought.

Comments

• ZeroZero Veteran
    edited February 2012
    Its certainly a healthy way for those involved to make money from your desires and cravings... :)
  • it's kind of childish and really pretentious that just thinking about money will bring money.

the principles are like an abstract painting of causality with a giant shit on it.

thinking with action gives greater opportunity for money to arise.

with the idea of encouraging desire...that is close to the teachings of tantra, which is an all inclusive path.

desire isn't negated, but rather desire is put to good use. for instance to desire enlightenment for the sake of sentient beings. or to desire to be a better person by following a set of moral guidelines. or desiring to be a better practioner, etc. but even all of these desires must be abolished by natural consequence of following through with actions that lead to the fruits of such desires. so again wishful thinking is cheap talk.

it has a hint of buddhism, but it is just newage garbage. a lot of newage is garbage, not all of it but most of it.

here's my rant for the day.
  • it has a hint of buddhism, but it is just newage garbage. a lot of newage is garbage, not all of it but most of it.

I agree. I often find find new-age ideas to be half-baked, it's like people really can't be bothered to think things through properly.

Spiny
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    A lot of new-age ideas are old-age ideas with sprinklin's and marshmallows, in a brand new sundae-glass....
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited February 2012
    If you visualize that more money will enter your life and you write "I will be rich" on papers posted all over your wall and just that alone, most likely you won't be rich. But if you keep visualizing your wealth grow, and you keep searching for ways to increase it. When you visualize and believe it's going to happen, while also seeking it out, most likely it's going to happen.

It's a matter of visualizing your desire, then taking the action towards actually seeking it. Then through the hunt, or even when you aren't hunting, what you wish for may just come your way. It's not a Buddhist philosophy, but so what. Most of us need to desire something to live well. Buddhism should be used when we hit that brick wall that makes us realize we're desiring something that is most likely not obtainable.

But if there is a glimmer of hope that something is obtainable for you, then that is when the law of attraction can be put to practical use.
  • A lot of new-age ideas are old-age ideas with sprinklin's and marshmallows, in a brand new sundae-glass....
    I have respect for ancient wisdom, but I get very confused when people mix everything up and then start talking in new-age jargon and psycho babble.

Spiny
  • It's a matter of visualizing your desire, then taking the action towards actually seeking it.
    I suppose for a Buddhist this would be like visualising enlightenment and then actually meditating.

Spiny ;)
  • Buddhism should be used when we hit that brick wall that makes us realize we're desiring something that is most likely not obtainable.
    But if there is a glimmer of hope that something is obtainable for you, then that is when the law of attraction can be put to practical use.
    The concepts expounded by buddhism may also be used to allow one to see 'desire' for what it is and perhaps thereby eliminate it... time is short, practical use limited - where best to apply it in the time permitted.
  • Thanks for the responses guys.

Actually, from what I've learned, desire is healthy and natural if so long as you don't get over attached. I suppose for the layman practioner, the goal is to live a peaceful life. We have desires and we can fulfill them, but we don't need to overboard since that results in suffering.

One shouldn't be attached to enlightment either...that is suffering too. It's a paradox. To become enlighted, stop caring about it too much.

• I like this saying. You cannot run your mind is always right there and its not going anywhere.