Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Misunderstod? Or just ignorant?

edited March 2006 in Buddhism Basics
I was reading some posts on a music message forum that I frequent and noticed a thread on Buddhism. It obviously intrigued me and I wanted to see what people thought or were saying. I was very disheartened by what alot of people said. Below are a few of them...

1. "its true, i hear too much about Buddhism every f*#king day. I have realized it is a religion for somone who has the mental ability of a 4th grader, "we breath in the good are and exhale the bad, and that is how we should live our lives" fu*#ing horse sh@t."

2. "look who studies it, it is mentally disabled people, and washed up hippies, americans use it as a reason to be lazy, and it is a lazy person reliegion. In Buddhism they say it isnt a religion "its a way of life" but yet they pray to Buddha??? hmmmmmm "

3. "Buddhism is fascinating, but just as arrogant as most religions who purport to know the truth."

Now, besides the fact most of them can't spell, these posts are pretty ignorant. How did it come about that Buddhism has become so misunderstood do you think? And is there anything to do that will let people know exactly what it is?

I'm gettin' a lil verklempt, discuss amongst yourselves... :banghead:

Comments

• edited March 2006
    There's no need to let people know. They say such things because they choose to be ignorant. That choice is not something that someone else can 'fix'.
  • edited March 2006
    I understand you there. Sometimes it just gets a bit frustrating that even friends talk like this. Alot fo people are quite ignorant when it comes to Buddhism. A friend of mine said to me "be prepared to have a whole bunch of people sh@tting all over you." Honestly, I don't want to be around people like that, I don't need the negative energy.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    There's no need to let people know. They say such things because they choose to be ignorant. That choice is not something that someone else can 'fix'.

Hmmmmm....hang on.....Yes....I was thinking about this comment.... 'choose to be ignorant'.... and I stopped to think for a moment....

"They might not be choosing to be ignorant, ZM, they really just might not know, or be aware that they're ignorant....but then again, they must be basing their comments on something they've heard or seen.... obviously they haven't had a good example....or maybe they just haven't bothered to chase it up and study it further.... maybe they're happy not knowing....in which case.... They're choosing to be ignorant! ZM's right!! No, really? Ya don't say.....?!"

Bunch of twits.
    Don't give it a second thought, LfA.....If "ignorance is bliss", feel their ecstasy!! :lol:
  • edited March 2006
    I saw a similar thing on a car forum that I belong to. The thread was a general tirade against religion but then someone started giving Buddhists loads of flack. There were fortunately a few of us there that tried to put our point across but sometimes you just have to accept the fact that people can be bigotted and no matter how many times you tell them, if they're not prepared to listen then they're not going to change their opinions.
    In the end we just butted out and let them get on with it.
  • edited March 2006
    I have a family member that does not understand Buddhism. She feels that it is a lazy religion. It's easier because one doesn't have to go to church or take time out of our busy lives to worship. I informed them that buddhism IS daily life, much as Catholism OUGHT to be. She wasn't aware of the Sangha and such.
    It was easy for me to inform her, as she did ask questions. But in your case L4A, an online thread with ignorance like this is...well, pointless? I say pointless because it doesn't sound like these people are interested in learning.
  • edited March 2006
    I have studied other religions, and Buddhism, is by far, the one that you have to work the hardest at to actually understand it all. So, Buddhists are lazy??? I don't think so. We are a lot less lazey than most people in other religions that just act like robots, go to church on Sundays, but then are back to their nasty habits the following day. IMO, almost all Buddhists follow their practice on a daily basis...not just on Sundays!

I say just ignore them. They probably won't listen to what you have to say anyways.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Great posts everyone.

I too think that people that say "buddhism is a lazy man's religion" just don't know what they're talking about.

I believe Buddhist do what they do and seek what they seek because of the own decision. I do this because "I" have made the decision to do this. I seek to control myself, my ego, my emotions, my mindset because "I" have chosen to do so.

Not because I'm being graded by a supreme being and put on a scale of punishments and rewards. What's the use of a belief system where the only reason you're doing it is because of greed? "I want to go to heaven!" What's that? Sounds like greed, desire and attachment to me.

And these people that spout these things obviously have no idea what they're talking about. It's like saying, "Christianity is full of a bunch of idiots" based upon one single flavor of Christianity.

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    LFA,

I know what you mean about the feelings of frustration and how hard it is to just ignore them. Instead, you can turn it into a practice for yourself. Think of all the things the situation presents that you can use to practice. For example, patience. That would be a big one for me. Holding my tongue and practicing patience.

You could also practice tolerance and compassion. That would be even more challenging but worth it. I'm sure you can think of whatever you need to practice in particular and you can use this situation to do it. You know what I mean?

Instead of having those feelings of frustration and helplessness turn it into a situation that makes you stronger by making your practice stronger. It's really uncomfortable at first which means you're actually making progress, but the more you do it the easier it gets. Eventually you'll get to a place where it doesn't bother you in the least, like water off a duck's back.

I hope this helps a bit. Remember, there's no point trying to educate them, like Frizzer said. Trying to educate them would be like trying to teach a pig how to sing; you'll only drive yourself nuts and annoy the pig.

Brigid
  • edited March 2006
    2. "look who studies it, it is mentally disabled people, and washed up hippies, americans use it as a reason to be lazy, and it is a lazy person reliegion. In Buddhism they say it isnt a religion "its a way of life" but yet they pray to Buddha??? hmmmmmm "

Look I appreciate the wind up. However, the use of the words "mentally disabled" are extremely offensive.
    I appreciate you are not exactly the brighest button on the blazer yourself. ie your spelling of religion and America. The latter is alway spelt with a capital A....hole

Peace and love to all my fella men.

HH
  • edited March 2006
    There is something interesting about this. The people who say the kinds of things you quoted (see a lot of this kind of thing in chat rooms) may have their own blind spots and imperfections, like we all do, but, though they are misinformed, there is still a sense we like to call a bullshit meter in what they say. Let's face it, what they think Buddhism is about may be misinformed, but they rightly know that whatever concept they're applying their bullshit meter to is definitely bullshit. This is a better and more workable situation than someone who has a learned and accurate picture of what Buddhism is about and still rejects it (this case is more like the last example in your post). In the case of the misinformed, it's still possible in spite of all prejudice, that if they were to learn the facts of what Buddhism is about, they would respect it more readily.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    That's right HH, leave us 'wimmin' out...!

You do realise he was quoting from the forum he saw these posts in... yeh?
  • edited March 2006
    Sorry bout dat love.

HH
    edited March 2006
    dat's aarait aarr 'H' luv... Thenk nott'n ov it... ;)
  • edited March 2006
    Are the two of you speaking Cajun?
    edited March 2006
    no, Mancunian...or Liverpuddlian...
  • edited March 2006
    thanks for all the responses everyone. I pretty much knew how to handle the situation, I just wanted more input. I chose to ignore most of what they were posting and didn't really reply, except to explain things I had already learned and left links in case someone might actually want to know what Buddhism really is about, not misinformed junk. Thanks guys! :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    There is something interesting about this. The people who say the kinds of things you quoted (see a lot of this kind of thing in chat rooms) may have their own blind spots and imperfections, like we all do, but, though they are misinformed, there is still a sense we like to call a bullshit meter in what they say. Let's face it, what they think Buddhism is about may be misinformed, but they rightly know that whatever concept they're applying their bullshit meter to is definitely bullshit. This is a better and more workable situation than someone who has a learned and accurate picture of what Buddhism is about and still rejects it (this case is more like the last example in your post). In the case of the misinformed, it's still possible in spite of all prejudice, that if they were to learn the facts of what Buddhism is about, they would respect it more readily.
    I see your point. It's comforting and I forgot to take into account the bullshit meter. That's an interesting point.

Brigid