Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

World leaders

edited March 2006 in Buddhism Basics
Could you ever imagine a buddhist becoming President of the USA or British Prime Minister? What would they be like? (a few less wars hopefully). Have there been any who have tried to run for office? What are your thoughts?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    I expect they would be a lot like the Dalai Lama - if they adhered stringently to Buddhist ethics, that is....
    That's my hope anyway....
  • edited March 2006
    I think we have a very short memory. It is true that power currupts however. there have been a few exception in recent political history.
    Gandi, Mandela, Robert Kennedy and maybe you could throw Anthony Wedgewood Benn in to the mix.
    Remember that although these people were never Buddhist's they were and are to this day considered compassionate people in positions of great power.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    I got a lot of time for our Tony Benn.... I used to have a lot of time for Ken Livingstone, but I gone off him a bit now....
  • edited March 2006
    I'm not sure if being the President or Prime Minister would be in the interest of a Buddhist though. Some might want to belive war and conflict are a necessary evil, but a Buddhist could have no part in that since they would have some role in killing or hurting someone, whether that be inadvertently or not. They would have alot of cleaning up to do and I think, even if they get re-elected to a second term, that they would be cleaning the mess before ever getting a chance to do something good. So, yeah it would be a great hypothetical idea but I couldn't see it ever happening in that type of a role. Maybe an advisor to the President or Prime Minister, something like that might work. hehe!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I don't think a Buddhist leader could fulfill the desire for capitalism and war that still seems to be such a part of our society.

-bf