Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Keeping the 5 precepts is not 'cool'?

jlljll Veteran
edited February 2012 in Buddhism Basics
I read this on CNN.com recently.
JOSEPH CALIFANO, CHAIRMAN AND PRESIDENT, NATIONAL CENTER ON ADDICTION AND SUBSTANCE ABUSE: We Americans are 4 percent of the world's population. We consume two-thirds of the world's illegal drugs. Drug abuse in this country, and substance abuse in this country, is unquestionably our biggest health problem. Addiction and substance abuse are our number-one disease.

I am just wondering whether this is unique to USA
or youths these days, all over the world thinks taking
drugs is cool.

Comments

• ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran
    It depends on what you call a drug. Illegal drugs such as heroin and cocaine don't seem to be hitting the headlines as much just recently whereas alcohol seems to be a growing problem in the UK. Whether this is true or media bias I don't know but among my students I know that marijuana is seen as "hippy", cocaine is for posh kids and bankers and heroin/crack is for tramps (their prejudices, not mine). They seem to be very interested in insane strength ciders and lagers rather than other drugs.

• I am just wondering whether this is unique to USA
    drugs is cool.
    USA is very keen to fight it as its the largest source of untaxed revenue.

If you consider it, your entire exprience of reality is due to the chemicals that move around your body - it makes little sense to ban external chemicals that mimic or stimulate chemicals that are already present in your body.

The history of humanity walks hand in hand with the history of 'drug' taking... the legal ones are alright as they're controlled and taxed - the illegal ones promote a black market economy which is economically undesirable - they also undermine the absolute authority of the state and create an autonimous sub-culture... both economically undesirable.
  • I have done many drugs in the past and I have known and still know many many people (including my own father) who continue to use drugs on a daily basis. It is not surprising to me that the US constitutes sucha large portion of the world's drug use. Our nation has a very sedentary mentality when it comes to recreation and morality.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I read this on CNN.com recently.
    JOSEPH CALIFANO, CHAIRMAN AND PRESIDENT, NATIONAL CENTER ON ADDICTION AND SUBSTANCE ABUSE: We Americans are 4 percent of the world's population. We consume two-thirds of the world's illegal drugs. Drug abuse in this country, and substance abuse in this country, is unquestionably our biggest health problem. Addiction and substance abuse are our number-one disease.

drugs is cool.
    On the one hand, I doubt some of those numbers. Having lived in Thailand for a couple of years, it was pretty easy to see drug use and availability, and that was just "on the streets". And knowing how dumb the Thai government is about any data (and I suspect that is true for much of the "third world"), I just don't believe the data, even when it is published by reputable national and international organizations.

But I do agree that here in the US it is a huge problem.

And, having spent time in Malaysia, as well, I think there are countries where it is not anywhere near as common ("Da da means death").

• (sigh)

A press release from the head of a American organization invested in fighting drug abuse says America consumes almost all of the world's supply of illegal drugs, that it's our "number one health problem" (funny, I read just yesterday that obesity was our number one health problem. So which one is it?) and it's our number one disease. Yet the ACA claims cancer is our number one disease, while the AHA claims it's heart disease and high blood pressure. That's a lot of number one diseases and problems.

I'm certainly not saying drug abuse is not a problem. But this pushing and shoving at the trough of funding and donations just makes me tired.
  • Among the people i hang out with use of pretty much (at least occasionally) everything is common, except heroin and cocaine really. I think a lot of it is connected with misinformation - the "drugs are bad" propaganda. But people are curious, try it out and..... nothing happens. And they try it again and again and there is just no real consequence. So the idea turns into - when i get lung damage, i'll quit and it'll heal, if i overdose, i will be resuscitated (medical shows are to blame here - CPR always works; while in reality the chance is under 10% for success). The consequences get hidden in the clinic, hospital and grave, and who really wants to get to know Alzheimer and his friends, when everyone knows smokers die young, clever and sexy. And everyone dies, you know, anyway.

It boils down to, a person is incapable of understanding that a hot dish will burn their fingers. There is no way in the world for someone to tell you it will hurt and make you understand. Just plain none. Every person will have to taste the consequences either himself or by something happening to a friend to understand. As long as disability is something to hide in our society, there is no way people will stop using drugs.

Considering the vast amounts of alcohol that people around me drink; its actually surprising that apart from three smoke-related deaths among smokers the worst long term / chronic damage was actually contributed by caffeine (osteoporosis, insomnia)...

And really, as long as we don't exercise and eat healthy ourselves (which is pretty rare nowadays), we have no right to whine about the drugs... :sawed:

No, of course its not unique to the US.
  • I don't understand this need for illicit drug use. What's the matter with people, a lack of imagination, or something, they're not able to come up with more wholesome pastimes? Is it boredom? I don't get it. I understand to some extent the despair of the poor or the traumatized--the need to self-medicate. But I don't understand middle- or upper-class use of these drugs. People who have everything, and should be happy, but they spend their money on drugs.

2/3 of the world's illegal drugs? What about Europe? What about Thailand, etc., like Tom says? Those only add up to 1/3?
  • I read this on CNN.com recently.

drugs is cool.
    Don't be fooled by the statistics, it takes American's 2/3 more to get high.
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited February 2012
    My impression here in Australia is that drugs are not cool amongst many of the groups of youth. I was surprised to see a music video, fimed in the USA and I didn't see the band or hear much of lyrics, which was about lighting up and smoking a joint, drinking alcohol etc.
  • I can speak for the UK that drug abuse is really quite high. In my school year group, around 25% of the people smoked weed on a regular basis. I was taking ecstasy at the age of 16.

I don't think it is often the case kids think it is col, it really is not so black and white.

Thailand has quite a drug problem, mainly with a drug called yaabaa, which translates as 'crazy drug'. It is a kind of anphetamine. Even though the laws are extreme here, it goes on.

Humans using drugs has been something going on for thousands of years, way back people eating mushrooms and brews made by shamen.
  • Yay war on drugs! We're winning! :rolleyes:
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited February 2012
    My daughter tells me the song I referred to is Young, Wild & Free .... one of the artist's is
    Bruno Mars ....
    So what we get drunk
    So what we don't sleep (smoke weed)
    We're just having fun
    We don't care who sees
    So what we go out
    That's how its supposed to be
    Living young and wild and free.
    She is 15 and says it doesn't really sound like freedom to her.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2012
    @Dakini, when I started doing marijuana and drinking in highschool is because I didn't have any friends and some of the people on the soccer team were being nice to me and bringing me into their group. So I tried drugs. I really liked the feeling and then as time went on I looked for people who did those drugs, birds of a feather. I remember my best friend in college quit using marijuana, he was involved in projects for internships while in school or some reason he got the idea to quit. What he said didn't change me right away but later it planted seeds. He said "if I'm not going to be doing this drug 10 years from now then why am I not doing it now?" Nonetheless I see his facebook photos of friends tagging him and all of them he looks completely wasted and drunken (yet happy ;) ). Yet he is a very successful hardworking person and one of the smartest caring people I have ever met. I think he needs that feeling. To be wild at least that's how it was in college. One time we were really wasted at a houseparty on halloween we didn't have costumes and somebody had some kind of body glue for a costume and he glued a bagel they had in the kitchen to his forehead 'bagle on the forehead man' like saturday night live. So it's basicly I think an opportunity to be wild and free? And then I think some people it is just like wearing certain clothes at a country club. They just use it to look good. Those people don't usually get wasted.

Another thing is that I thought 'everybody' in college was drinking and thus I thought it was just what you did. Then in my public health course later they pointed out that only like 35% of the student body was really into drinking.
  • I don't understand this need for illicit drug use.

What's the matter with people, a lack of imagination, or something, they're not able to come up with more wholesome pastimes?

Is it boredom?

I don't get it.

I understand to some extent the despair of the poor or the traumatized--the need to self-medicate. But I don't understand middle- or upper-class use of these drugs. People who have everything, and should be happy, but they spend their money on drugs.
    There is no need for it to be illicit - your body is run by chemicals, your reality is created by their interaction - the fallacy is that drugs are unnatural.

The judgment bundles people who have a cup of coffee a day with the habitual crack smoker - just because something doesnt fit into one's model of reality does not make it any less significant - what could be more wholesome than the slow degeneration of daily life?

Boredom or otherwise, what drives people to do anything they do?

Its ok not to get it - but that doesnt mean there isnt a valid reason for it and it also doesnt mean that it is wrong.

Trying to understand the issue by considering it from a biased perspective is futile - to progress understanding it is necessary to accept the illusionary nature of associations... for example, you readily accept that despair and drugs go hand in hand - is this really true?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2012
    I don't "readily accept that despair and drugs go hand in hand". I said I understand "to some extent". That hardly equals "readily accept". I'm trying to understand the phenom in general. My main question was about businessmen and other financially successful people who choose to spend their time and money using drugs (which, let's face it, are highly addictive, from what I understand. There's a serious risk there of addiction and ultimately a ruined career or personal life). I'm trying to understand the mentality. And why Americans? What is it about American culture that seems (?) uniquely to foster this?

I don't understand the "what could be more wholesome than the slow degeneration of daily life" comment. What degeneration of daily life?
  • Look at it this way, D. There's always been alcoholism. It affected all ethno-socio-economic groups. Drugs have replaced or augmented alcoholism. Back in the early-to-mid 20th Century, they weren't easily available. Now they are, so people are using them in place of or in addition to alcohol. There's no rhyme or reason to it, other than dukkha, imho.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Personally I think a War on drugs is illogical it just forces the money into the hands of criminals, what people choose to put into their bodies is their own choice. Making substences legal would be better of course this is not without saying that their shouldnt be a strong information campaign to inform people of what certain drugs actually do. As Buddhists we know the stance on intoxicants and why its not a good idea to take them.
  • @Dakini, I don't think American culture is unique in doing drugs. We do have a big value of 'I can do whatever I want', in America though. I think that is why it is worse?? Another factor is stress from work. Why do people get overweight? Why don't they just all change? Emotions, Dakini. Buddhism works at the root causes in the mind.
    @Dakini, I don't think American culture is unique in doing drugs. We do have a big value of 'I can do whatever I want', in America though. I think that is why it is worse?? Another factor is stress from work. Why do people get overweight? Why don't they just all change? Emotions, Dakini. Buddhism works at the root causes in the mind.
    Definitely. It's a long the lines of "I have the freedom to make stupid choices."

• I don't understand this need for illicit drug use. What's the matter with people, a lack of imagination, or something, they're not able to come up with more wholesome pastimes? Is it boredom? I don't get it. ?
    My reason to teach my kids to not use drugs is that our brains and behavior on a regular basis is what people use drugs to do. We get it naturally so why pump crap into our bodies? I say that on good authority, no one thought I was drug free in my teens, including my own parents.

• Thanks again, Jeffrey. It doesn't answer the question, though: why are Americans the consumers of 2/3 of the world's illegal drugs? I guess Canadians don't have much need for illegal drugs? So what would be the difference between American and Canadian cultures, that would lead to such a disparity?

Maybe Cinorjer had it right when he said this:
    (sigh)

A press release from the head of a American organization invested in fighting drug abuse says America consumes almost all of the world's supply of illegal drugs, that it's our "number one health problem" (funny, I read just yesterday that obesity was our number one health problem. So which one is it?) and it's our number one disease. Yet the ACA claims cancer is our number one disease, while the AHA claims it's heart disease and high blood pressure. That's a lot of number one diseases and problems.
    Maybe the stats are skewed in order to justify an agenda.

• My main question was about businessmen and other financially successful people who choose to spend their time and money using drugs (which, let's face it, are highly addictive, from what I understand. There's a serious risk there of addiction and ultimately a ruined career or personal life).

I'm trying to understand the mentality.

And why Americans? What is it about American culture that seems (?) uniquely to foster this?

I don't understand the "what could be more wholesome than the slow degeneration of daily life" comment. What degeneration of daily life?
    With every breath we draw closer to death - there is no wholesome activity as ultimately you die incrementally everyday.

To understand it, it may assist to suspend understanding of drugs and try to look at it from the other side - so rather than asking 'why do people do drugs?', maybe asking 'why dont all people do drugs?'... by examining the issue from both sides, we may better understand a position that we dont personally live.

The mentality is the same mentality that drives every desire whether 'wholesome' or not - if we take the very simple premise that 'we are all going to die'... how many people habitually consider this in their moment by moment risk analysis (if even one is consciously undertaken)?

its not limited to Americans - just that America is sufficiently affluent to both undertake the study of the issue and also for its indulgence.

drugs and prohibition aren't the real issue - lack of educations is, but that is ultimately too costly to address by a society driven by economic morality.
  • edited February 2012
    People need to understand that just because this broad umbrella-term "drug" is used, that doesn't mean they're all the same. Marijuana and psychedelics are completely mis-understood, due to government propaganda brainwashing the minds of the people. Personally, I support complete individual freedom, so long as you are not harming another. That being said, I do think that cocaine, heroin, etc., hard drugs, ARE "bad." However, marijuana and psychedelics are actually GOOD. They help you to develop your consciousness.

Why do you think the government spends the majority of its funding on the war on drugs to prevent marijuana and psychedelic usage, which cause NO physical harm, and actually have many benefits? Because they know it helps people to become self-empowered individuals, who are able to think intelligently for themselves. This is NOT what the government wants. The only "intelligence" they want us to have is the ability to memorize what we are told by the authorities, and then be obedient to those authorities. In the 60's, when psychedelics were legal, mass amounts of people were using them, and weed. Suddenly, the majority of the youth basically said fuck this. We're not gonna just listen to everything the government says, and follow societal standards. They just dropped out of mainstream society, stopped caring. The government, through that observation as well as research they and others were doing, realized they couldn't have people be doing these drugs, if they wanted to maintain their control over the minds of the people. Thus, psychedelics were made illegal, and the War on Drugs began, with the emphasis being on Marijuana and Psychedelics.
  • People need to understand that just because this broad umbrella-term "drug" is used, that doesn't mean they're all the same. Marijuana and psychedelics are completely mis-understood, due to government propaganda brainwashing the minds of the people. Personally, I support complete individual freedom, so long as you are not harming another. That being said, I do think that cocaine, heroin, etc., hard drugs, ARE "bad." However, marijuana and psychedelics are actually GOOD. They help you to develop your consciousness.
    Good point. We don't know what the stat breakdown is by category of "drug". I'm coming to the conclusion that we can't trust the stats at all, being that they're politically and economically-driven.
    Its not limited to Americans - just that America is sufficiently affluent to both undertake the study of the issue and also for its indulgence.
    The rest of the developed countries are also sufficiently affluent for this. Maybe they're just not as obsessed, and so don't study it...? They also don't have a long border with a country where drug cartels operate. (Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, France, England...) It's not always about affluence, either. New Mexico has a high percentage of drug activity, mainly in rural areas, and it's one of the poorest states in the US. It's a very complex issue, but these broad and simplistic statements made by gov't agencies and war-on-drugs organizations don't help arrive at an accurate understanding of situation.

• Agreed D - society as a whole spends much too much time and energy chasing its own tail! Its a clever circle of never ending distraction.

immersedone nicely highlights that social control and individual autonomy have a precarious relationship.

Perhaps the new information revolution can be utilised to create a more stable uniform cultural thinking so we can together as a society express spontaneous change? Maybe thats the only way that social control can rest comfortably with personal freedom.
  • social control + personal freedom = social change :)
  • :)
  • Personal freedom is the answer, and I find it incredibly strange that the "Land of the Free" has the highest incarceration rate in the world, with something like 80% of federal prisoners being imprisoned for crimes that DIDN'T HARM ANYONE ELSE(most drug-related). This "Land of the Free" is responsible for indoctrinating people to be SCARED OF FREEDOM! As soon as you start talking about freedom, people start getting scared. It's ridiculous. No worries, though. REAL change is coming, and it is coming soon.
  • There's a good in-depth article on this incarceration issue and how it came about with such horrible percentages, in one of the recent issues of The New Yorker magazine. 3-strikes-you're-out laws, mandatory sentencing even for 1st offenses of certain types, and other measures enacted in the 80's and early 90's when the public was convinced that crime was out of control caused this upsurge of incarceration. And now that jails are being handled by private for-profit companies, it's in their interests to continue the increase in incarceration. There's a profit motive now, to incarcerate more and more people.

Oh, and de-institutionalization of the mentally ill during the Reagan era has resulted in the severely mentally ill ending up in jails.
  • As soon as you start talking about freedom, people start getting scared. It's ridiculous.
    I have noticed this - there is a real aversion to any talk of freedom - I wonder whether this is because it is often raised in a 'subversive' context or whether it is due to indoctrinated behaviour or whether its an innate aversion to antisocial behaviour - perhaps freedom means something different to everyone.
  • edited February 2012
    As soon as you start talking about freedom, people start getting scared. It's ridiculous.
    I have noticed this - there is a real aversion to any talk of freedom - I wonder whether this is because it is often raised in a 'subversive' context or whether it is due to indoctrinated behaviour or whether its an innate aversion to antisocial behaviour - perhaps freedom means something different to everyone.
    As Ron Paul, who gets criticized for his support of freedom, says: Freedom is the issue that can bring the people together. This is because if we can all agree to the principle of freedom, then our differences no longer matter. I can use my freedom how I would like, and you can use your freedom how you would like. I don't have to like your usage of freedom, just as you don't have to like mine, but we can all come together in agreeance of freedom. How individuals choose to use their freedom is their choice.

Making people afraid of freedom is an intentional effort of the elite. Of that I am sure. When you think of drugs, they want you to think of deadbeat dads who abandon their families and then die of an overdose. Then they can continue the mass-arrest of non-violent individuals,. When you think of Islam and the Middle-East, they want you to think of terrorism. That way they can keep fighting wars over there. They want us to think about racism. They want us to maintain traditional socio-sexual roles, in the context of monogomous child-rearing
    Personal freedom is the answer, and I find it incredibly strange that the "Land of the Free" has the highest incarceration rate in the world, with something like 80% of federal prisoners being imprisoned for crimes that DIDN'T HARM ANYONE ELSE(most drug-related). This "Land of the Free" is responsible for indoctrinating people to be SCARED OF FREEDOM! As soon as you start talking about freedom, people start getting scared. It's ridiculous. No worries, though. REAL change is coming, and it is coming soon.
    A few people that accepted personal freedom in relation to this topic:

John Belushi
    Marilyn Monroe
    Billie Holiday
    River Phoenix
    Jim Morrison
    Elvis Presley
    Lennie Bruce
    Len Bias
    Truman Capote
    Kurt Cobain
    Brian Epstein
    Sigmund Freud
    Judy Garland
    Andy Gibb
    Jimi Hendrix
    Abbie Hoffman
    Howard Hughes
    Janis Joplin
    Alan Ladd
    John Phillips
    Freddie Prinze
    Dinah Washington

etc.

• My main question was about businessmen and other financially successful people who choose to spend their time and money using drugs (which, let's face it, are highly addictive, from what I understand. There's a serious risk there of addiction and ultimately a ruined career or personal life).

I'm trying to understand the mentality.

And why Americans? What is it about American culture that seems (?) uniquely to foster this?

With every breath we draw closer to death - there is no wholesome activity as ultimately you die incrementally everyday.

To understand it, it may assist to suspend understanding of drugs and try to look at it from the other side - so rather than asking 'why do people do drugs?', maybe asking 'why dont all people do drugs?'... by examining the issue from both sides, we may better understand a position that we dont personally live.

The mentality is the same mentality that drives every desire whether 'wholesome' or not - if we take the very simple premise that 'we are all going to die'... how many people habitually consider this in their moment by moment risk analysis (if even one is consciously undertaken)?

its not limited to Americans - just that America is sufficiently affluent to both undertake the study of the issue and also for its indulgence.

drugs and prohibition aren't the real issue - lack of educations is, but that is ultimately too costly to address by a society driven by economic morality.

:bowdown:
  • :crazy: ? This discussion has become too abstract for me.
    there is no wholesome activity as ultimately you die incrementally everyday.
    I have no clue what this means. And doesn't it depend on your age, whether you're dying incrementally every day? Or is this not meant to be taken literally?

Where's the code for deciphering this thread? :scratch:
  • @vinlyn - add whitney houston to that list...
  • there is no wholesome activity as ultimately you die incrementally everyday.
    I have no clue what this means. And doesn't it depend on your age, whether you're dying incrementally every day? Or is this not meant to be taken literally?
    Categorising activities as wholesome or not-wholesome is challenging - in the context of drugs (for this discussion), legislation's intended purpose is the protection of society both in terms of physical and moral health.

When the issue of 'wholesome activities' (for this purpose not drug use) was raised, I considered one facet of that position as a possible valid counter to a pro-drug position - i.e. instead of doing drugs (not wholesome) why not do something wholesome? so I took 'wholesome' in this context as being something that contributes positively to life experience.

Legislation doesnt dictate precisely what morals you should have (it just prohibits certain activity) - the moral argument for anti-drug policy is hopelessly favoured towards a pro-drug position so there's only the health and prosperity angle - another words, the only real strong counter that an anti-drug policy has is the protection of actual physical health.

So as we know we are to die one unknown day, each day, each moment, each breath draws us closer to that death - physical health degenerates come what may - given that it does and each of us has one life, we should be free to live that life for as long and in such a way as we personally choose - so there is no 'wholesome' or 'non-wholesome' activity - there is just personal choice and activities associated with that.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    :crazy: ? This discussion has become too abstract for me.
    there is no wholesome activity as ultimately you die incrementally everyday.

Where's the code for deciphering this thread? :scratch:
    I think they question wasn't specific and was sort of asking for "abstract" replies.
    I don't think they think it's cool I think they don't see a reason not to do it.
  • edited February 2012
    @zero I was following you until your last paragraph. (Thank you, by the way.) Your logic seems to take you in the direction of hedonism and anarchy. Do I have this right; you're saying that since we all die eventually, we may as well live a devil-may-care life if we so choose? And society should accept whatever chaos results from that? How would that be a liveable environment?
    the moral argument for anti-drug policy is hopelessly favoured towards a pro-drug position
    Could you explain this, too? Is it the word "wholesome" that's a problem for you? You seem to be riffing on it. We should toss out the precepts, is that where this is going?

Isn't the Buddhist argument that we may die at any moment, so we should make the most of each precious moment, devoting ourselves to the quest for Enlightenment? Interesting how death can be viewed either way: as a justification for self-indulgence, or justification for leading the best life we can (from a Buddhist perspective), an enlightened life.

@shanyin You could be right, except that the OP was specific in asking if this attitude were unique to the US or to youth. Thanks, though.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2012
    @shanyin Aren't you in Canada? What's the view from Canada? Do Canadians commonly use illegal drugs, or is it rare? Our gov't would have us believe most of us are druggies, while y'all are demurely sipping tea up north there, and saluting the Queen. :D
  • Its subjective - do you consider your response to that to be conditioned in any way? For example, why would freedom naturally result in hedonism and anarchy?

We all die and noone knows what happened before or after - it is all speculation - we should be free to live our life as we choose and it's probably possible without unacceptable levels of chaos (to some extent, variety is the expression of chaos so its not all 'bad').

Yes - its the categorisation of what is and is not 'wholesome' that is difficult to reconcile - the categories are taken for granted and the debate rages at a higher level once activities have labels already - its tough as the issue of looking at the labels is pushed aside in favour of arguing about whether something that is already 'bad' should be allowed - the question that arises in my mind is 'what is this thing categorised as bad?', 'why bad?'... this examination of labels for me also extends to 'what is cool?' on the OP - for me, much more interesting considering why people pursue 'cool' than what they do in pursuing it - I wonder if by dealing with the root of the issue, it is possible to undertake many activities that may otherwise be considered 'bad' or unwholesome - the only way I can think of to achieve this is for us to consider the labels themselves.

Who is to say what is and what is not the 'quest'? I am all for freedom of the precious moments and in that I share but I dont want to dictate.
    @compassionate_warrior

I think the view is that 100% believe they ruin lives, 100% believe illegal drugs are better than alchohol and tobacco (even for your body) and like 70% of kids are using them.
    The view.. hmmmm
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2012
    I am all for freedom of the precious moments and in that I share but I dont want to dictate.
    This is an interesting point. Buddhism does dictate on this score, in a guiding sort of way. We're supposed to practice as best we can with the goal of Enlightenment in mind. I guess that's what religion does, by nature.

I think illegal or mind-altering drug use is considered "bad" because it tends to destroy people's bodies and lives. We'll all die sometime, but drug use hastens the day, and wrecks quality of life. So much lost productivity, too, from a government-interest perspective.

@shanyin Really?? 100% of Canadians believe illegal drugs are better than alcohol and tobacco? Better how? 70% of Canadian kids are using drugs? Are the drugs coming in mainly from the US, then?

• robotrobot Veteran
    edited February 2012
    Drug use is rampant in Canada. Along with related killings and overdose deaths. Recently there have been a series of deaths due to contaminated exctasy.
    I think the view on drugs depends on school education and parent education. The parents usually (in my experience) tell them never ever ever to use drugs and kick them out if they find illegal drugs. The other ones will smoke up with their kids. I'm sort of in between with my parents.

I think the school drug education was bassically like watching episodes of intervention and then police officers showing us drugs and telling us we'll go to jail if we take them.
    Excstasy is a baddy. One time a person litterally pulled up to me with his car and asked me to buy some, I akwardly said no and noticed a hospital marker on his arm, and he told me the exstacy he was selling put him in the hospital.
    its all baddy
  • Drug use is rampant in Canada. Along with related killings and overdose deaths. Recently there have been a series of deaths due to contaminated exctasy.
    I'm blown away. I must know some pretty rarified Canadians, then.

• Maybe or maybe it doesnt hasten the day - too much of anything hastens decline - when we dont know how and when the end will come speed becomes less of an issue - also not inevitable that the net effect reduces quality of life - agreed on productivity (economic morality driving society's response).