Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Interesting day....

edited April 2006 in General Banter
work was good, the boss was out so we all took our time doing what we needed to do rather than rush and rush like a normal day. I get in the car at the regular time of leaving, rather than leaving late and making overtime. I put the car in reverse, pull out of my parking spot, put it in drive and notice someone starting to pull out of their parking spot. I honk the horn, nothing, honk again, nothing, honk a third time and she crunches the front of my car. She had her music really loud, probably why she didn't hear me. Now, normally I would be a bit upset and maybe a bit angry but for the past few days I've been really concentrating on my breathing techniques. I have to say that even after a few days it has affected me in a way I never would have imagined. Like I said, normally in a situation like an accident I would go crazy. I didn't though. Even after the police came and took a report I told her I was sorry this poop happened between us (even though it was her fault for the accident) and told her to have a good weekend. I was amazed and still am at how I reacted. I am really loving this practice, it makes me want to continue 1000 fold. Just thought I'd mention this little story...

Comments

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    LFA,

What a totally empowering story! This is really important and I'm really glad you shared it with us. It sounds like you were totally mindful and in the moment and I'd be willing to bet that the woman will never forget your reaction. It will (has) changed her. I'm sure of it. And it's very clear that your practice has changed you in a big way. I'm so very happy for you! This sounds like a wonderful experience which is so funny because it was a car mess up, one of the most usually infuriating kinds of situations. But you turned it into something clear and simple and kind. Really, really well done. I congratulate you and thank you for letting us read about it because I can't tell you how much it has inspired me. I want to work harder now, too.

Brigid
  • edited April 2006
    Hmmmm, I could learn from that today.
    Last week a badger ran out in front of my car, it was 4am and pitch black and the thing just appeared in the road. Unfortunately even though I slammed ont he brakes and swerved I still hit it.
    Took the car to the garage to get checked out and was told that all I'd done was damage a plastic undertray so I needed to get it booked in to replace it. No problem, it wasn't going to be expensive so I wasn't too concerned.
    Took car in today for the work to be done and get a call 15 minutes before they're due to close telling me about the fact that they have just "discovered" that the radiator is dangling off and my air-con may be knackered as well. They won't know the extent of the damage until they take the front of the car off!!!! AAARRRGGGHHH!! I wouldn't have minded so much but they'd already had the car in to check so why wasn't this picked up before? Right Speech very almost went straight out the window! Now I have to take the car in again for them to have another look at it and it's likely, knowing my luck, to cost an absolute fortune.

Sorry about that, I just had to have a bit of a rant and I feel much better now ! :D
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Because they are practicing "Right Profit".

If they had told you about all of this right off the bat, they might not have gotten the chance to work on all these other issues.

You fell for it - they have it - you don't.

Funny how things progress, isn't it? :)

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2006
    Frizzer....
    Right Caution....
    You want to see all the parts they remove/exchange, as proof of work....

;)
  • edited April 2006
    Brigid,
    Yeah, it was quite unbelievable even to myself like I said. Normally I shake and sweat (you probably didn't need to hear that, hehe) when in a "confrontational" situation. I don't know about it being inspiring, thanks for saying that though. I am just glad that I am able to get things under control and practice not only at home, but to take what I am learning every day and practice it EVERYWHERE I am.

Frizzer,
    Now mechanics are a whole nother story, hehe. Luckily back home two of the guys in my band were mechanics and so I was able to ask them for help when I had issues. Before them though I ran into your situation a few times. BF was right about the "Right Profit" practice they were running, hehe.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2006
    LfA... Every step is a great step forward. Good for you.... ;)
  • edited April 2006
    thanks Fede! It's been a rough path so far but is worth it's weight in gold for lack of a better thing to say, hehe.
  • edited April 2006
    Well, fortunately my car isn't so bad that I can't drive it so I can still use it until it goes back in again on Tuesday.
    To be fair the mechanic that checked it out first just stuck his head underneath with a torch. They only spotted it when they put it up on ramps and had a good rummage around. They admitted that it was their fault that they didn't spot the loose rad on the initial check and that they aren't going to charge me for the work they've already done.
    Plus I tested my air-con today and it appears to be working OK.
    It's just the inconvenience of it all really, having to go backwards and forwards to the garage.
    Feel sorry for the poor badger though, it was a biggun. :(
  • edited April 2006
    Frizzer wrote:
    Well, fortunately my car isn't so bad that I can't drive it so I can still use it until it goes back in again on Tuesday.
    To be fair the mechanic that checked it out first just stuck his head underneath with a torch. They only spotted it when they put it up on ramps and had a good rummage around. They admitted that it was their fault that they didn't spot the loose rad on the initial check and that they aren't going to charge me for the work they've already done.
    Plus I tested my air-con today and it appears to be working OK.
    It's just the inconvenience of it all really, having to go backwards and forwards to the garage.
    Feel sorry for the poor badger though, it was a biggun. :(

Well that'd good to hear that they are being honest and taking care of some of the cost. Good thing about the AC too, it's getting warm outside. At least here it is. In the 70's here today. :)
  • edited April 2006
    Only in the 50's here !
    I'm glad my heaters work as well as the AC ! :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Hi, Frizzer.

I know what you mean about the badger. I hit and killed a skunk a while back and it still bothers me. I had to ask myself, just after it happened, how long I would make myself suffer over it because I can be overly sensitive when it comes to animals. But I always promised myself that I'd never be a fool and swerve dangerously for a small animal and risk my life or the life of my passengers, as cold as that may sound. It's the lesser of two evils sort of thing. I'm glad you're not agonizing over it. I don't want you to suffer and the badger's probably off to a better life, right? LOL!

And that's relatively good news about your car. At least it's running and the mechanics have redeemed themselves a bit. That was always the scariest part for me as a woman who didn't know how to fix her own car. Mechanics could do and charge anything and I'd never have had a clue. Luckily I live in a very small community and the garage where I bought my car is also where they serviced it. Reputation is everything around here and they were always very good to me. I don't have the car anymore, thank goodness, because I can't drive anymore anyway and it would just be sitting up on blocks rusting away. But I used to worry about breaking down somewhere else far away and getting fleeced by some crook! LOL! It happens.

Glad things are better!

Brigid