Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Too Far On Political Correctness?

People like Gandhi and Martin Luther King are my heroes. Their actions were heroic and they suffered for the betterment of society. Although it seems strange to say this, have Civil Liberties gone to far? Maybe Political Correctness is more of the term here.

I am white. I am proud of my heritage. I have white pride. :zombie: Nazi...KKK...Racist Those are some responses I have heard to my claim of white pride. It is however perfectly fine to have black pride.

And upon entering a coffee shop, I will order African American Coffee. African American Coffee? Is this country a bunch of sissies or what? (America)

And on the news, how is it that the host of the show is interviewing an African American living in England his whole life.

If I was for whatever reason to suggest a white history month for the month of April, I would undoubtedly be called a racist.

We can apparently have all black admittance only to a college but if there was to be an all white college, it would be shut down as fast as it was thought of.

I swear, if I took certain people I knew to Africa, they would look around in amazement saying "look at all the African Americans here"

I have nothing against courtesy. I have a problem with just how scared we are to say things in this country. (America) So afraid we might offend someone and get sued.

Now I am a racist by no means. Many of you know full well that on several occasions, I have defended ethnicities despite what family or friends say. I am an American. I am not a European American. I am the 4th generation of immigrant families from the early 1900s. Blacks with American citizenship are Americans. We don't need to call them African Americans.

Has this country gone too far on political correctness? Are we really that paranoid as not to offend anyone? Are we just a bunch of wusses? Or am I the one that has gone too far?

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited April 2006
    I think we have in some respects.

There are a lot of valid points that you are making. You are correct that if there was an all white college - it would be a racial disaster. But, maybe we haven't moved away from or made the attempt to correct or acknowledge all the atrocities done to Africans. Maybe we need more time. And just not Blacks... but peoples from all over the world. It's amazing how "white" people have done so many awful things, throughout history, to those of other color or even to other whites.

I was just reading an article, not too long ago, about how feminist are disgusted by the fact that people, groups or companies have "seminars". They've changed these functions in their group to be called "ovularies".

I don't believe we can ignore the atrocities done against various groups (Native Americans, Africans, India, Ireland, Scotland, Jews, etc.). I believe there is a saying of something like "Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it." Our history gives us many, many examples of the awful things humans can do to humans.

But, on the flip side, if we could just recognize and appreciate the differences that make us different - there could be much to be learned. As long as we are all equal - our differences should be enjoyed.

I know there are many, many things from other cultures (Celtic, African, Indian, Asian, Latin, etc.) that I'm glad I get to experience and enjoy.

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2006
    There is I think, a previous discussion on this very topic, but it deserves revival...
    The UK is experiencing the same kind of situation...
    And it isn't racist.. it is a social displacement...
    When you get people who have been born, schooled, lived and worked in one particular area all of their lives, and they suddenly perceive that they, as a white, indigenous person from the United Kingdom, have become outnumbered by 1st generation and 2nd generation immigrants once hailed as the 'ethnic minority', there is a cause for discomfort.
    There are many cases of 1st generation immigrants who, inspite of being in the UK for maybe thirty years or so, are still not able to speak English properly, but who wish to impose the rules and traditions of their 'home' culture on their children... who are British by birth.
    This poses enormous social problems, because these children feel pulled in two directions - just one of the causes of a great deal of unrest..

I confess to a degree of confusion when on the one hand, a great deal is made of the 'black' struggle against slavery, segregation and discrimination, and their desires and demands to be completely accepted as equal members of American society, but they still call themselves 'African Ammerican'... Do Italians call themselves Italian American?

Maybe they do....
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Hi, Good Sir Knight.

Maybe things are going a little far, as you say. But I think BF made a good point and I think things may continue this way until all Americans acknowledge and understand the history of the black population in their own country. We are so far away from this happening that there are still overt racists living in America.

But the point I really want to make is the mistake we make by comparing Black and White situations. White pride is a completely different thing and has a completely different meaning than Black Pride. You are not descended from slaves, are you?

We cannot compare a white university and a black university. White people don't have the same history in America that Black people do. The comparison is unjust.

If Black Americans had come to the U.S. under different circumstances and had been accepted as White Americans had been, the comparison may have some merit. But if this had been the case there would never have been the need for Black Pride, Black universities etc. in the first place.

Brigid
  • edited April 2006
    Yes, this country has gone stark raving mad with political correctness. But mostly its about demonizing white, Christian America, [caucasion] guilt and victim mentalities; I think thats the crux of the situation. White Americans are to feel guilty for the evil perpetrated by their ancestors and the off-spring of the wronged want to make a point.

Personally I find being proud of skin color odd. I find it akin to being proud of the color of ones eyes or hair color. It takes no practice or work to be of a certain race. It is no achievement to be black, white, red or yellow (Purple would might take some work tho ;))

Of course, I'm not a real fan of pride to start with since it leads so often to pain and unhappiness; I think its something best avoided and seen for the negative, unproductive thing is can be.

Unfortunately, there are many people that can't stand to be insulted and others actually seem to be looking for reasons to be insulted. People like that often have 'victim mentalities' and Political Correctness looks to save them from feeling uncomfortable and offended. Its a defense mechanism, I think. This when it would probably be best if they would look to heal themselves and their shortcomings rather than filter the words of others.

But, I'm a middle aged white guy so, I could be speaking from a position of wealth, arrogance and lack of understanding ;) (That's good natured humor, btw. I wouldn't want to the PC police to get mad at me. Hey! Thats humor again!! LOL )
  • edited April 2006
    Huntforlife you are indeed speaking from a position of wealth, arrogance and lack of understanding. I appreciate we will never see eye to eye however, I say this with an open heart. Please get out their and open your eyes and listen.
    Fox news will not show you the path of enlightenment.

Knight of Buddha you are just thick.

HH
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2006
    No he's not thick. and I would say on this standpoint, HH, you are outnumbered, in that I think more people will agree with Knight, than with you.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    I don't understand your post, Fede. Are you saying that more people will not agree with HH that Knight is thick? Or are you saying that more people will agree with Knight's post?

Brigid
    edited April 2006
    More people will agree with the content of Knight's post. I didn't think I was that obscure...!! :lol:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Well, I guess I'm not one of the "more people" you're speaking for because I, for one, respectfully disagree with Knight's post.

Brigid
    edited April 2006
    With what do you disagree?
  • edited April 2006
    I am slightly confused now. I meant to make a point as to say that America is too concerned with political correctness. I am not sure where I went 'thick'. Perhaps in a physical sense yes, but even that is becoming a thing of the past. I simply cited several examples of what I felt were just plain silliness in our politically correct society.

I in no way intented my previous post to be racist or descriminatory by any means. And I realize now that it could have easily come across as slightly biased here. If for whatever reason, offense is taken in any means, I do sincerely apologize. I did not expect so much input....
  • edited April 2006
    Federica,
    You know me by now. I have no need to feel that I am in a majority. In fact I always feel at my most focused when my back is up against the wall. One thing is certain I am not in the business of suffering velvet racism.

I won't tolerate this kind of "I'm not a racist but" or kids reinventing Enoch Powell.
    I am sad to say I am surprised by your remarks ealier too.

HH
  • edited April 2006
    "in no way intented my previous post to be racist or descriminatory by any means. And I realize now that it could have easily come across as slightly biased here".

Yes you did. You thought you would test the water. And you are now attempting a U turn. To late. Shame on you.

HH
This discussion has been closed.