Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Question about Karma

edited September 2007 in Buddhism Basics
I understand a good amount of what karma means, etc but am lost a little bit. I know it ends when a person reaches nirvana and the karmic energy dissipates. BUT when does it begin? I have learned about birth and re-birth, but when does it officially begin? Meaning, say you're 6 and you squash a grasshopper, does this cause you to have negative karmic energy? That's more of a two part question but I could use some help with this. It came to me at lunch today at work and I have been itching to hear about it since. Thanks in advance to whoever decides to help me understand this better.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2006
    It began when you did.......

EDIT: After finding the info below, it appears I am right - ! :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2006
    "The remainder of the answer to the question, " what is karma ? " is very closely connected with the second question: " When did karma begin ? " A general law of nature cannot be said to have either a beginning, or an ending; wherever there is any [Page 4] manifestation, any universe, any world, there, general laws are also present, inherent in the very nature of things. Attraction of one mass of matter to another cannot be said to begin; wherever there are masses of matter, there, attraction is working; gravitation does not begin, it is ever manifested where the conditions for its working are present. Hence karma, being, a general Law, is said to be eternal; it is a condition of manifested existence, and wherever existence is manifested, there is karma.

Hence the question: " When did karma begin ? " shows a misconception of the very nature of karma; it is a perpetual condition of existence in matter, neither beginning nor ending, but eternal. If the form of the question be modified, and it is asked: " When did the karma of a particular creature begin ? " then the answer is: "At the time at which that particular creature came into manifestation."

From here
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2006
    L.f.A,

The simplest answer that the Buddha gives to this question is that there is no conceivable beginning. From what most translators translate the Buddha's exact words as being, he does not say that there is absolutely no beginning whatsoever, but that samsara (lit. recurrent wandering) is without a cognizable beginning. Either way, regardless of whether or not there was a beginning point, the main idea is that it is pointless to worry about one because you won't find it. Just for reference, two examples of this passage from SN XV.3 are as follows:
    "Inconceivable is the beginning of this Samsāra, not to be discovered a first beginning of beings, who, obstructed by ignorance and ensnared by craving, are hurrying and hastening through this round of rebirths." -- Nyānatiloka Thera
    "From an inconstruable beginning comes transmigration [samsara]. A beginning point is not evident, though beings hindered by ignorance and fettered by craving are transmigrating and wandering on. -- Thanissaro Bhikkhu

:)

Jason
    edited April 2006
    Suddenly, I feel inadequate....:confused: :sadc:
  • edited April 2006
    thanks to both of you guys for responding and making the responses easy enough to understand. I am not really dwelling on the whole beginning thing, was just a thought and figured I'd try to make sense of it.

The thing I am working on in my practice right now, is living for right now. So I've been trying not to dwell on things that do not concern right now. Thanks again Fede and Elohim your responses helped alot.
    edited April 2006
    Fede,

No worries. We all offer what we can. I have simply been studying the Samyutta Nikaya recently, so it was easy enough for me to produce this reference. I was just at the right place at the right time sort of speaking.

Jason
    edited April 2006
    L.f.A,

The present is where we make all the difference.

Jason
    edited April 2006
    Shucks Jason, take no notice... I got a big mouth when I'm hormonal...:grin:

I've booked it... next time I'm coming back as a snail. ;)

LfA.. absolutely bang on... Live for now, let the rest take care of itself... just Be - and Be Good - !!
    edited April 2006
    Fede,

That's my excuse as well. Unfortunately, I am always hormonal.

;)

Jason
    edited April 2006
    Aaaah.... But does that mean you always have been , and always will be....?:grin:
  • edited April 2006
    he is right now at the very least! :eekblue:
  • edited April 2006
    Excellent replies !

I tend not to think of Karmic residua as an energy neither essentially negative (as in "bad")or essentially positive (as in "good") (which seems to conceptualize it as a kind of substance), but rather as a momentum which is grown through our involvement with existence. Our ordinary attitude towards existence is a craving one, we have a momentum towards it, driven by our desire, our aversion, or blindly driven wherever in ignorance. Our continued investment in becoming is what we call kamma. As Elohim and Federica pointed out, there is no ultimate cognizable beginning to this process. Your question referred to a single lifetime. In this lifetime there is also no cognizable beginning to this process (which we could say begins anew every time we are born) because it begins anew with the arising of cognition itself, if not before. The six year old child is not exempt from this even if he has not developed a moral sense or conscience. This highlights what we might call for emphasis the horror of samsara; the realization that we spend so much of our time investing (acting: kamma) in becoming in ignorance of the implications of our deeds and in the results they may have; it is said, for example, that to acquire kammic merit as an animal is nearly impossible, because they do not have quite the cognitive ability to see implications of their actions nor the developed moral sense of the average human, not mention they kill mainly on blind instinct. Thankfully, we as Buddhists are not so much concerned with the results of kamma as we are with ending the process of suffering altogether. When an arhat attains Nibbana cutting off the roots of future kamma, there is a remainder of momentum, of what has already come to be (his current aggregated existence)which he can do nothing but endure patiently. It is interesting to note the teachings on kamma available throughout the story of Angulimala: how even a murderer is not beyond hope of holiness if he repents (in the Buddhist, not the christian sense), how previous sins are minimized upon stream-entry, how kammic fruits which might have matured in another lifetime are made to come to maturity in the very same lifetime for an arhat who will not have another existence to bear them through.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/majjhima/mn-086-tb0.html
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Great post, Vach. I wondered about the child and their actions. That's an eye opener. I'm so glad you included the hopeful part at the end because I'm prone to horror over- imagination and sometimes I need the reminder of the hopeful to pull me back to the center.

I liked your description of Karma as an energy/momentum "which is grown through our involvement with existence. Our ordinary attitude towards existence is a craving one, we have a momentum towards it, driven by our desire, our aversion, or blindly driven wherever in ignorance. Our continued investment in becoming is what we call kamma."

I think that's a very concise and clear description. I've read so many things about karma that were quite difficult but they were in the same vein as this and I can understand this better. It's a subtle yet complex thing and difficult to grasp. So much more than today's Western fad usage of the word "karma".

Brigid
  • edited April 2006
    It's funny, though, I did just notice one mistake I hoped did not confuse anyone. When I typed "either negative or positive" I really meant to write "neither". lol!! I've edited it. But now that I think of it, when we say "desire/aversion" in some ways we ARE speaking of postive (towards) and negative (against). Added some words to make the thought more specific. Probably should have just deleted that part out altogether, hehe.
    edited April 2006
    And this is sometimes the difficulty of tackling a subject with the available vocabulary.... I remember reading somewhere that Man is beginning to advance in his quest for knowledge of the Self (please, let's not go there, here!!) faster than the language can cope with it.... At times, our very own method of communication fails us.... we simply do not have an adequate store of terms or definitions to truly describe that which we wish to impart.

back to the lexicon....!! ;)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Speaking of which, Fede, in the copy of the Tibetan Book of The Dead that I have, Francesca Fremantle says, in the introduction:
    It is noticeable that several of the words which best express the teachings of Buddhism are part of the language of contemporary psychology, for the attitudes of certain schools of Western psychology often come closer to Buddhism than do those of Western philosophy or religion.
    Sorry to digress but it's so interesting and this idea struck me when I read it.

Back to your scheduled programming...

Brigid
    edited April 2006
    What a great thing you mention that, Brigid...

I had decided at some point long ago, to study psychology with the eventual goal of finding a career in therapy. I cannot tell you how much of modern-day therapy methods actually have their roots firmly grounded in Buddhism... Which is after all, the very first to recommend examination of the Mind.....
  • edited September 2007
    We always have to take care in that we be aware that karma is primarily moved into physical "action" by volition....by the nature of intent....accidents generate a sort of "neutral karma"...but when we actually contemplate the committing of an action, we begin constructing our future karma at that very moment.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2007
    Very good point, Zasetsu. And welcome to the forum. It's good to meet you.
  • edited September 2007
    Thank you brigid.....I actually joined some time ago...but busy-busy-busy has kept me ......um......busy! I look forward to learning from each of you better ways to manifest the dhammavinaya in my own life!