Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Compassion when someone takes advantage

edited April 2006 in Buddhism Today
Hello again,

My significant other and I were pondering buddhism last night and we got on the subject of compassion towards others.

My girlfriend, up to this point in her life has been taken advantage of ALOT and as a result has a hard time fully trusting people and has the habit of closing herself off to avoid being hurt.

She inquired with me about this and how buddha would deal with this and I didn't really have an answer for her.

I guess my question is, how would the buddha handle a situation like this. As a result of feeling compassion for people, it is a fact that people will take advantage of this and walk all over your feelings.

What is the best way to approach people like this and not be hurt be their thoughts/outlashes inflicted upon us?

She is open about practicing buddhism with me, but I think this is one of her greatest obstacles as she is in constant fear of letting people into her feelings and getting hurt as a result.

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited April 2006
    I think one of the lessons I'm learning is that you do "compassion for compassion's sake".

Buddha has teachings that our actions bear fruit. Good actions will bear good fruit and evil/bad actions will bear the fruit of suffering.

I don't think that anyone likes to be taken advantage of. But, one thing you might think of is: why are you doing what it is you're doing? For some reward? For someone to recognize what you've done and be thankful for it?

While we would all like to see something like this happen - it won't happen all the time. We are interacting with people who have their own views, wants and desires that don't necessarily mingle with what "we" are doing at the moment - either for them or for others.

There are lots of discussions here about feelings and hurt that we feel. As Buddha teaches - there is suffering in life. There is no getting around it. Even if your girlfriend closed herself off from others and guarded her feelings - there will still be suffering. She can't escape this life and who she is.

I think viewing the suffering that we feel, embracing it, looking at it, recognizing and accepting that we feel hurt is the best way to confront it. If you keep running away from suffering - you're not dealing with it and it will continue to follow you.
    If you confront and acknowledge these things that hurt you - I believe you are on your way to getting past them. Not that it's an easy road - because the hurt and suffering is still real. But, from my experience, I find that when I confront it and recognize it it's much easier to let go. Especially when I compare this little piece of suffering against all the other good and beauty that I have in my life.

-bf
  • edited April 2006
    thank you.

that helps alot and gives me an very good idea of how to address it.

thank you again!

sean
    edited April 2006
    Well...

You may want to wait for some input from someone that actually knows what they're talking about :)

-bf
  • edited April 2006
    gotcha :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:

There are lots of discussions here about feelings and hurt that we feel. As Buddha teaches - there is suffering in life. There is no getting around it. Even if your girlfriend closed herself off from others and guarded her feelings - there will still be suffering. She can't escape this life and who she is.

Well, don't do yourself down, BF... I think the above paragraph is extremely insightful and bang on.

Doing good for, and to, others - pracising Compassion - doesn't mean you have to turn into a doormat. It's a perfectly reasonable thing to guard yourself against being twice bitten, but on the other hand, the motivation to exercise Compassion should be simply that. With no hidden agenda.
    now, this is by no means easy, because we're all subject to the influence of our Ego's... We all need a little appreciation, and rightly so. But practising random acts of kindness (a vogue phrase some time ago) should hold a reward in merely seeing the look of delight, surprise or gratitude, on the other person's face.

But ultimately, we have to remember that those who simply take adavntage are hopefully, in the minority. The grateful ones are usually more plentiful.
    Why then, do we insist on focussing on the 'negatives'? Because they hurt. And indignance and righteous resentment against those who 'misuse and abuse' our good will, gives us a sense of justification.....
    But in clinging to the memory (at nobody's behest or insistence but our own) we perpetuate a feeling of resentment and reluctance in ourselves that we actually feel guilty about!

Drop the Ego. Drop the life-long habit and desire to self promote (we all do it - it's an instinct we acquire at a very early age!!) and simply BE.
    It's important to let others know what we stand for. It is equally important that they know what we WON'T stand for.

Great, great post, BF. ;)
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited April 2006
    dkode wrote:
    ...What is the best way to approach people like this and not be hurt be their thoughts/outlashes inflicted upon us?...
    ::
    A very good question, dkode. Let me try to "decode" an answer.

Try to see the person for what they really are - a being who is suffering like everyone else. Their selfish impulses stem from the same ignorance and attachement that we all share. If you can feel empathy and compassion, then resentment will fade in time.

I recommend reading the Dhammapda. One of the first verses concerns our attitude to people who have wronged us.
    edited April 2006
    Good point, Mag.

In fact, I think we talked about that here: http://www.newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1381

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2006
    is "outlash" a word?
    It is now!! I love it!! :rockon:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Hi, Dkode.

These are all wise posts. I firmly agree with all of them and I really like what Fede said:
    It's important to let others know what we stand for. It is equally important that they know what we WON'T stand for.
    As Dr. Phil always says, we teach people how to treat us.

The Buddhist path is one of empathy and compassion but it is equally a path of wisdom. Wisdom must be present in everything we do. It is wise to feel and act with compassion and it's just as wise not to allow yourself to be taken advantage of.

The Buddha said never to sacrifice your own well being for that of another. When I first heard that I was surprised. Then after it sunk in I was astonished. Our compassion and will to do good must be tempered by wisdom or it is no longer skillful. Without wisdom the road to hell becomes paved with good intentions.

It's all in our hands. Everything. Even how people treat us and how we react to that treatment. Your partner has all the power and courage she needs. As Fede said, if she will just let herself BE, she will see it. She will become empowered and fearless again.

Warmest regards to both of you,
    Brigid
  • edited April 2006
    Hi all; long-time listener, first time-caller.

This is one that I've wrestled with over the years. Ajahn Brahm has some good advice on this topic that has helped my understanding a lot. I would like to share what I've gleaned from his teachings. Basically, it's helpful to remember that compassion for everyone must include ourselves. We are part of the equation. The answer lies in finding what is good for you and good for me. The needs of both you and I must be present, or the solution will be short lived at best. Also, there are times when a relationship is just too harmful or abusive. When this is the case I find an old saying quite helpful; it goes something like, "You can love the tiger, but from a distance." For me, this means that distance doesn't require hatred. And, love doesn't mean you have to stay in an abusive relationship.

Anyway, I always find these practical topics helpful, I'm glad dkode brought it up.

m.
  • edited April 2006
    thank you for all of your advice. It is very helpful!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Hey, Monki,

Great post! Loved the tiger analogy. I'm going to use that one for sure.

And I agree that these practical topics are great. They're what I'm most interested in.

So thanks from me, too, dkode!

Brigid
  • edited April 2006
    I guess I'm trying to lay a groundwork and understand basic concepts as I am begining the path.

I have realized (for myself and my girlfriend) that these are basic concepts that not everyone addresses in everyday life. Once I sat and reflected on these feelings for a day or two I realized how long it has actually been since I have reflected on my feelings/thoughts like this.

It is amazing to me how ingrained society/life has become. We're so used to coming across so many negative people and instead of trying to work with them/empathize, we develop a hard skin and give canned responses to occurences that happen again and again in everyday life.

We don't really question our actions because they are "tried and true", and we are comfortable in our mode of thinking and reacting. This would be especially true for my girlfriend.

After discussing this with her last night, she stated that just after talking about this with me, she realized more so than ever that she is alot more closed off then she originally thought.

It fascinates me how much we can learn from reflection, and how long it has been since I have performed it.

Thank you again, I really feel I will learn so much from websites like this, it really helps alot!

my real name is Sean btw, in case someone doesnt want to call me "dkode" :)
  • angulimalaangulimala Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    Hi, Dkode.

These are all wise posts. I firmly agree with all of them and I really like what Fede said:

As Dr. Phil always says, we teach people how to treat us.

The Buddhist path is one of empathy and compassion but it is equally a path of wisdom. Wisdom must be present in everything we do. It is wise to feel and act with compassion and it's just as wise not to allow yourself to be taken advantage of.

The Buddha said never to sacrifice your own well being for that of another. When I first heard that I was surprised. Then after it sunk in I was astonished. Our compassion and will to do good must be tempered by wisdom or it is no longer skillful. Without wisdom the road to hell becomes paved with good intentions.

It's all in our hands. Everything. Even how people treat us and how we react to that treatment. Your partner has all the power and courage she needs. As Fede said, if she will just let herself BE, she will see it. She will become empowered and fearless again.

Warmest regards to both of you,
    Brigid
    i second that brigid,compassion and wisdom must be balance.several weeks ago i attended to a seminar,the topic is 'how to run a business that goes along with the dharma'
    the speaker told us that in business we should have no intention to harm others,but we also must be alert,cause the people out there are not as naive or honest or compassion as we are.in this case alertness is part of wisdom.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Angulimala,

That seminar sounds very interesting. I wish we had more of that kind of thing in this part of the world.

Brigid