Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Dhammapada - Chapter 4 - The Fool v60 - 75

buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
edited February 2007 in Philosophy
Balavagga
The Fool

60. Long is the night to the sleepless; long is the league to the weary. Long is worldly existence to fools who know not the Sublime Truth.

61. Should a seeker not find a companion who is better or equal, let him resolutely pursue a solitary course; there is no fellowship with the fool.

62. The fool worries, thinking, "I have sons, I have wealth." Indeed, when he himself is not his own, whence are sons, whence is wealth?

63. A fool who knows his foolishness is wise at least to that extent, but a fool who thinks himself wise is a fool indeed.

64. Though all his life a fool associates with a wise man, he no more comprehends the Truth than a spoon tastes the flavor of the soup.

65. Though only for a moment a discerning person associates with a wise man, quickly he comprehends the Truth, just as the tongue tastes the flavor of the soup.

66. Fools of little wit are enemies unto themselves as they move about doing evil deeds, the fruits of which are bitter.

67. Ill done is that action of doing which one repents later, and the fruit of which one, weeping, reaps with tears.

68. Well done is that action of doing which one repents not later, and the fruit of which one, reaps with delight and happiness.

69. So long as an evil deed has not ripened, the fool thinks it as sweet as honey. But when the evil deed ripens, the fool comes to grief.

70. Month after month a fool may eat his food with the tip of a blade of grass, but he still is not worth a sixteenth part of the those who have comprehended the Truth.

71. Truly, an evil deed committed does not immediately bear fruit, like milk that does not turn sour all at once. But smoldering, it follows the fool like fire covered by ashes.

72. To his own ruin the fool gains knowledge, for it cleaves his head and destroys his innate goodness.

73. The fool seeks undeserved reputation, precedence among monks, authority over monasteries, and honor among householders.

74. "Let both laymen and monks think that it was done by me. In every work, great and small, let them follow me" — such is the ambition of the fool; thus his desire and pride increase.

75. One is the quest for worldly gain, and quite another is the path to Nibbana. Clearly understanding this, let not the monk, the disciple of the Buddha, be carried away by worldly acclaim, but develop detachment instead.

-bf

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited April 2006
    To me, this (indirectly) discusses karma - for those of us who ask how karma works.

I would do well to keep something like this posted in front of my nose on a daily basis.

A lot of food for thought in these few verses.

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2006
    Now this lot, I can really relate to....!
    Good one to ponder... many 'quotable quotations' to be had here....

And I too, BF, think I would benefit from reading them in a prominent place each day.

Thank you! :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    61. Should a seeker not find a companion who is better or equal, let him resolutely pursue a solitary course; there is no fellowship with the fool.

This is my favourite. How much suffering could have been avoided if so many had heeded this warning. I've known so many people brought low by their partners. And still they stay. Myself included, but I finally left.

I once read somewhere that it is painful to associate with fools and I thought it would be in here. Maybe it is but in a different translation.
    73. The fool seeks undeserved reputation, precedence among monks, authority over monasteries, and honor among householders.
    This one, with corporate leaders instead of monks, could bring down capitalism! LOL!

You're both so right about putting some of these up where we can see them on a daily basis. I think I'll choose a few and get my mum to do a cool print job on them. My printer's gone bust for good.

Brigid
  • edited February 2007
    I like 63, since every time I discover my own foolishness, I have no reason to be sad and to cling to past foolish deeds, but instead can advance a tiny bit wiser than before. There is hope for the fool in us, he might become as wise as we want to be.

Regards
    edited February 2007
    There might even be hope for me!

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    buddhafoot wrote:
    There might even be hope for me!

-bf

Well, let's not get carried away!

Palzang
    edited February 2007
    So I get this email where Palzang says "Well, let's not get carried away!" and I thought, "Hmmm... I wonder what he is saying that in reference to?"

Little did I know... :)

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    Just kidding...

...I think.
  • edited February 2007
    buddhafoot wrote:
    So I get this email where Palzang says "Well, let's not get carried away!" and I thought, "Hmmm... I wonder what he is saying that in reference to?"

Little did I know... :)

-bf

75 is actually a hard one. Some people think it is more important to save others than to save oneself, I heard that focusing one one`s own reaching of nibbana was at some point labeld "egoistic", and the bodhisattva ideal emerged as most important goal! I don`t even know if reaching nibbana is a goal in mainstream Buddhism at all nowadays. Little do I know.

In any case, I prefer this translation of Verse 75:

Indeed, the path that leads to worldly gain is one and the Path that leads to Nibbana is another. Fully comprehending this, the bhikkhu, the disciple of the Buddha, should not take delight in worldly gain and honour, but devote himself to solitude, detachment and the realization of Nibbana.

Regards
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    Yes, that is a slippery one, fofoo. One is taught to work ceaselessly for the liberation and salvation of all beings because the needs of the many (as Doctor Spock said) outweighs the needs of the one. However, how does one do that? Well, the answer is that one must attain enlightenment in order to be of real benefit to others. So it's really both at once, self-liberation and the liberation of all sentient beings. Without the mindset of compassion for all sentient beings, there can be no individual liberation. We're not separate.

Palzang