Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hardcore Buddhists

edited April 2006 in Buddhism Basics
I am just curious, what types of buddhist monks are the "hardcore" ones so to speak, the ones that follow the 8 percepts instead of 5.

Specifically the ones that take a vow of celibacy and renounce all worldly possesions?

I have people ask me, "Oh, your practicing buddhism, does that mean you dont have anymore belongings", I want to give them the correct information on which division of buddhism observes these ways of living. I thought it was maybe Zen Buddhists?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2006
    Have a look at this, then scout around the encyclopaedia and see what you can find... ;)
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Well...

Don't forget that there are "lay" Buddhists.

When you talk to these people (if they're Christians) do you ask them if they've given up all wordly possessions and become Apostles?

Just more ignorance.

-bf
  • edited April 2006
    In some traditions there can be upto as many as 348 precepts. :hair:

See here :
    http://www.intrex.net/chzg/precepts.htm
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2006
    dkode,

When I think "hardcore Buddhists", I automatically think of the Kammatthana tradition of Ajahn Mun.

:)

Jason
  • MakarovMakarov Explorer
    edited April 2006
    Hard Core Buddhist? Hmmmm....Certainly Monks have made a choice that not all of us either can, or are willing to make. Unless we are Theravadan Buddhist however, there is hope for us yet. As for giving accurate information to questioners and what sects have Monks...my understanding is that virtually ALL sects of Buddhism do have monks, just some more than others. I know that Theravadan, Tibetan/Vajrajana, Tendai and Zen schools have monasteries/Abbies and monks because I have visited their websites in the USA. For more info look under Mount Shasta abbey, Tendai, Bhavana, etc to view their sites. I hope this helps.